This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

groundhog

Re: Found the G spot today!
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 09:00:24 pm »

Is this the only trade where it is deemed such a bad thing to be cheaper than the next cleaner? 

It is only a good thing for the customer, for us as window cleaners it has to be a bad thing, it means less money in our pocket!!! :(

NWH

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 09:06:02 pm »
I picked up a job last week for £40,the last WC was doing it for £20.I know the guy and he couldn`t beleive it when i told him he said there was no way he could have squeezed anymore out of them,it just goes to show you how they think he is trad and never changes his cloths,what does he expect you can`t stand still in any business.He`s now going WFP.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 09:09:16 pm »
I picked up a job last week for £40,the last WC was doing it for £20.I know the guy and he couldn`t beleive it when i told him he said there was no way he could have squeezed anymore out of them,it just goes to show you how they think he is trad and never changes his cloths,what does he expect you can`t stand still in any business.He`s now going WFP.
That's an unusual case I reckon.

Most customers I've met would rather pay someone to see them work hard and leave a dry finished result.
They're not going to pay more to see someone quickly wash it with a brush and run away.

groundhog

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 09:25:17 pm »
I don't think it's unusual at all, some customers may take some convincing at first, but once they see the finished results, and they see that their windows are gleaming and look like they are new, then they are converted!! I could give many examples of customers that I have that used to pay a lot less for their last trad cleaner, but the best one I have is of when I priced up a large house at 60quid, I got the job despite the fact that their current cleaner was only charging them 8 pounds!!!! ;D

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 09:27:04 pm »
Haven't we been here before? ...............What happens next? ::)

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 10:05:19 pm »
i agree mate :)
i priced a good size house today in the same way as i usually do and lady thought it "quite reasonable" and i am happy with it too
flip side of that was an existing customer who asked for a price to clean gutters soffit and fascia on her bungalow,i price per mtr so quick tot up ,told her the price and she pulled that cats arse face and said "what for that little bit"(21 mtrs of it is not what i would call a "little bit") "at that price i will do it my self" cue crossed arms and the look that says you are now supposed to haggle ::) so i just smile polite and say "ok love no problem :)" bet its still mucky next time
point is i just give a price , if its cheaper then its nowt personal

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 10:09:08 pm »
Haven't we been here before? ...............What happens next? ::)
We all start arguing and people get banned. ;D

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 10:23:49 pm »
djw stick at what u r doin mate it all comes good in the end  :)
where theres muck theres money

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 10:56:12 pm »

Ditto, last wc cheaper but never changed his cloths, easy pickings. I love this type of customer.

NWH

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 11:04:18 pm »
It`s not a case of nicking work either,when these guy`s customers see what results can be acheived by WFP ie clean frames high window`s that never normally get done they`ve as good as lost the job they can`t compete.It won`t be long when people will be surprised when WC`s don`t use a WFP.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 11:58:48 pm »
It`s not a case of nicking work either,when these guy`s customers see what results can be acheived by WFP ie clean frames high window`s that never normally get done they`ve as good as lost the job they can`t compete.It won`t be long when people will be surprised when WC`s don`t use a WFP.
I wish.
Depends where you live.

When I pick up work around town they're not too confused, but when I get work out in the sticks they've never heard of it.

geefree

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 12:21:17 am »
Same here,... i love it when i tell them all the frames will sparkle, and the cobwebs will vanish, i get cheques in the post with notes in saying fantastic job, thanks,.. also had a couple of new ones putting prices up themselves saying they glad they found me.... oh i feel special.... ;D ;D

poleman

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 12:35:49 am »
Groundhog, of course your right we would all prefer to come out with a higher price.
Is this the only trade where it is deemed such a bad thing to be cheaper than the next cleaner? I can't think of another one where a product does not compete on price.

This is the problem! you cant compare service industry to the retail sector!  

We are a service industry and have fixed costs that rise, diesel, insurance... where the retail sector mark up raw goods by 50 to 100% that is why you see all these BIG SALE!  so competing on price only, in a service industry is not good for anyone

Andy    

geefree

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 12:46:34 am »
keep the prices UP ! UP UP!

Then tweak a little, .. by going in cheap ,does not do any of us any good,

when the next man follows and competes, so may the next.... and so on on.... let an odd one do it if he likes.... if he wants a low paying round...

but lets not follow that lead or we are all doomed.  ::)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 04:30:45 am »
That's an unusual case I reckon.

Most customers I've met would rather pay someone to see them work hard and leave a dry finished result.
They're not going to pay more to see someone quickly wash it with a brush and run away.

It depends how you sell it Roger.
I suspect that the post above gives a clue as to why you haven't been doing so well with WFP and why I didn't at first either.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 04:37:33 am »
Groundhog, of course your right we would all prefer to come out with a higher price.
Is this the only trade where it is deemed such a bad thing to be cheaper than the next cleaner? I can't think of another one where a product does not compete on price.

This is the problem! you cant compare service industry to the retail sector!  

We are a service industry and have fixed costs that rise, diesel, insurance... where the retail sector mark up raw goods by 50 to 100% that is why you see all these BIG SALE!  so competing on price only, in a service industry is not good for anyone

Andy    

I had tro explain similar to one of my customers who is a retailer.  I do two shops and two houses for him.  He started asking for discounts for quantity.  I explained to him that economy of scale only starts working with window cleaning if it's one big job - and even then the scope is limited as it's more labour intensive and therefore, tied to time.  It's not like him cutting his profit on an item to sell them at 70% of the previous price and selling more of them to make up the difference.  I think he was quite impressed with me using the term "business model"  :) .  I did actually knock £1 of the most recent job as there was plenty of room to do so.

Conflagration2000

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 01:15:20 pm »
Just got home for my lunch and I'm quite pleased, a lady stopped her car where i was working and asked me to come round to her hotel and give her a quote as she was desperate for them to be done for easter. I went round and she only wants the front doing once a month. I went on my usual price of a pound a window and quoted her. "Yes thats ok" she said and we agree on thurs am. When I was leaving, five other hoteliers ambushed me with same request. As I was leaving they were all talking about a previous w/c who hadn't been round for two months and had ignored loads of phonecalls and texts.

Now I have mixed feelings as I was unaware of any previous w/c or his prices but I'm going to carry on doing them and sod the consequences. :(
Just like that