This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RO-Sheen

Cleaning your hands after work
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:22:24 pm »
After a days work my hands are so dirty that I have to scrub them with a nail brush and with all of that scrubbing and soap my hands really dry up and my knuckles crack!
Do any of you know of a product to use to clean? I sometimes use handcream to moisturise (Dont laugh!!) after washing but it sometimes isnt enough!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Nathanael Jones

Re: Cleaning your hands after work
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:35 pm »
I thought this problem was for trad shiners only,... but now I'm WFP I find my hands are still filthy at the end of the day. As camp as it may seem, moisturisers are one of the best things you can use. They smooth the skin and reduce the cracks where the dirt gets caught.
A good barrier cream used at the beginning of the day and after breaks will help too.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:44 pm »
Nutrogena cream,you`ll need to use it only for a few days before you see the difference.GG3 or fairy take your pick they all dry your hands out.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:33:18 pm »
My hands are dirtier and drier now than when i was trad but once in a while i treat my pole with baby oil then my hands stay cleaner and dont dry out

Dean

RO-Sheen

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:34:14 pm »
 Cheers Natanael, Which product do you use? Im WFP too BTW
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:40:19 pm »

I use whatever the wife leaves lying about!!!
At the moment I don't use barrier cream,.. only need it when I'm doing a lot of trad,.. but they're all as good as the next I've found, so just go for the cheapest.
If your hands get really bad and cracked, the pharmacist normally has some tubs of oily/soapy/waxy white stuff that I can't remember the name of,.. but it works miracles. It can be used as a hand cream and as a soap substitute. I'll have a look see if I can find an old tub and see what its called!

groundhog

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:40:35 pm »
I find that the only way I can keep my hands really clean is to wear gloves.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:42:12 pm »
Me to,Groundhog it`s good to see your back i`ve missed the banter.

craig b

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:42:17 pm »
20 pair of rubber gloves for pound at instore.
good in the summer and slip under thicker gloves in the winter.

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 09:44:46 pm »

Thanks mate, I have to behave myself this time, so I don't get banned again!!  :-[

NWH

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 09:45:52 pm »

Thanks mate, I have to behave myself this time, so I don't get banned again!!  :-[
Nothing wrong with a bit of honesty mate,it`s the only way to be.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 09:46:25 pm »
dean just read your post back mate :o ;D
as for serious advice try e45 on hands before bed then put thin cotton gloves on overnight,it moisturises and breaks down the ingrained dirt.Good barrier cream helps the cracks and splits too and liquid skin or superglue helps the bad cracks heal and keeps water out

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:49:03 pm »

At the moment I don't use barrier cream,.. only need it when I'm doing a lot of trad,.. but they're all as good as the next I've found, so just go for the cheapest.
If your hands get really bad and cracked, the pharmacist normally has some tubs of oily/soapy/waxy white stuff that I can't remember the name of,.. but it works miracles. It can be used as a hand cream and as a soap substitute. I'll have a look see if I can find an old tub and see what its called!

i asked the old tub and she said emulsifying ointment.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 09:50:53 pm »
dean just read your post back mate :o ;D
as for serious advice try e45 on hands before bed then put thin cotton gloves on overnight,it moisturises and breaks down the ingrained dirt.Good barrier cream helps the cracks and splits too and liquid skin or superglue helps the bad cracks heal and keeps water out

No puns or double meanings intended  :P  ;)  ;D
At least someone noticed

Dean

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 09:57:40 pm »
I use acrius cream which is only a couple of quid for a large tub.

I got this as my hands used to split a lot when i changed to WFP so went down the chemist and told them what i needed and why and they told me acrius cream is what you need.

I was pinching the wife's moisteriser before smelt of roses before going to work  ;D

But the acrius cream worked a lot better and now keep a tub in case my hands start splitting

Paul

mci services

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »

my wife has a skin condition and uses epaderm it is used as soap or hand cream

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 10:32:29 pm »
E45 barrier cream

geefree

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 10:38:41 pm »
Hygenic hand wipes after every job, in the van..

hands go home nice and clean.
used to work with money, on the road, and my hands used to be filthy and i ended up with spots galore after wiping my brow etc....(daft but true)

so now i use them with w/c too after every job.  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 12:44:12 am »
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula.

Rub it in before going to bed. Next morning soft hands, and no more cracks, even with bleeding hands, this fixes it. Best I've ever used.

philboy

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 06:53:36 am »
I find that using an alcohol gel after every job works well, apart from the health aspects of it, I find that the dirt build up is reduced and that I get less cracks in the skin, I used to get really bad dermatitus, now I just have great looking hands! ;D  moisturise once a day is still needed but you won't have to scrub ya hands ever again.