Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark_roberts

Re: Getting the proffesionals in
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 09:03:41 pm »
This guy sounds too cheap.  No service business can afford to drop their price by around 50% and still maintain good standards.

When choosing a cleaner for the first time an inhouse quote can be the best way for you to 'check out' the company and its procedures.

Your looking for someone who is ideally an owner operator, a few years of experience, NCCA approved, fully insured (ask to prove these), has a number of cleaning methods so he can choose the best method for your situation and is willing to offer a form of money back guarantee.

The price should include pre-vacuuming unless stated, moving furniture as agreed, stain removal and cleaning.  Deod is not normally required unless theres a pre-existing smell.

The NCCA also has an arbitration service for more peace of mind to you.

Mark

PS. for those of you who have come across these suspect NCCA members, its your professional duty and business interests to inform the NCCA.

lands

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 09:11:41 pm »
Mark, I could list 10 people off the top of my head that arent NCCA reg'd that are top draw (and I don't know that many) NCCA isn't the be all and end all. Its the methods they use that count. I do things that are not the prescribed NCCA method but are certainly a cut above eg. agitation prior to vaccing.

Pete

Joe H

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »
How come this guy has a 47 posts to his name? He seems very well educated in the world of carpet cleaning, esp. for a guy who doesnt even own the carpets his landlord does allegedly.
This is a post from someone taking the pi##, or is it just me?
Dan

A quote from Richard back Nov 12 2007

For a living i work in facilities management, which is basically maintaining buildings and repairs to our customers properties and most of the contracts covers on site cleaning be this day to day cleaners or one off deep cleans.
Eventually though i would like to have my own cleaning company so i like to come on here and find it interesting to read through the forums.

carpet guy

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 09:34:51 pm »
It's been said many times, but I'll just say it again.......................having all the power and heat in the world will not guarantee the person at the end of the wand will do a better job than someone with a moderately powerful portable with warm water, effective chemicals and good technique.

When I used a recirculating portable with 400 psi and a warm water rinse following m/s prespray and thorough aggitation I really don't think 90% of t/m operators would have achieved better results, I might have taken a bit longer, but then again, ho often do t/m users exceed 400psi.

rob

I respect the NCCA members, but never joined, did join the IICRC about 8 years ago, but allowed it to lapse. Made no difference to my style , or method of working, but enjoyed the course delivered by Paul Pearce, who ran a few other courses I attended.

Just read Joes post..................I think I had some "difference of opinion" with the gent.

mark_roberts

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 09:44:24 pm »
Pete

Your missing the point that is your not the customer.

The customer who knows nothing about carpet cleaning looks for ways to be reassured about her buying decision.  NCCA membership or indeed any specific trade type body will put her mind at ease.

It matters not that theres top cleaners who arnt NCCA approved to the customer she has no way of telling beforehand.

Regarding TMs, a picture of a TM showing its benefits during your sales process will greatly improve your chances of getting the job over a portable company as its percieved value and results.  A portable has no performance benefit over a TM and while a professional operator may achieve the same results its the perception to the customer that this big industrial looking machine will produce better results.

Mark

carpet guy

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 10:04:20 pm »
The perception is just that and perhaps emphasises the fact that your est marketing tool should be your last job, then it won't matter what you turn up with, as your reputation will have gone before you !

rob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 10:11:10 pm »
If only life was like that.

Sometimes being recommended is the way into the home and then you have to impress all over again not just with the job you do but with the techniques, knowledge and equipment.

No 2 customers are the same so you have to woo them differently.

Shaun

Neil Grainger

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 10:21:11 pm »
Bennie,

I have no doubt that it is easier to use a Truckmount, but the same quality of cleaning can be obtained using a portable. Its not all about power and heat but also the prep work is so important.  

I am getting a truckmount but not because it cleans better but because it will speed up my day and mean I wont have to fill up with water all the time.

NCCA membership is a sales pitch that gives customers a false impression about the ability of a CC. It would be worthwhile if it was graded according to qualifications and experience but they dont want to do that because it would effect membership numbers and the money it brings in.

carpet guy

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 10:32:58 pm »
When I was seeking work Shaun, I always asked for referrals and it paid off, at the moment irony has kicked in, with regular requests over the past year from my local area, which is very much an A/B area.

C'est la vie !

rob

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 10:36:30 pm »
Membership demonstrates a level of training and learning has been achieved to pass an exam ................ that is the same with driving lessons and a test, what happens afterwards is a different matter.

I would not risk getting into a taxi with someone who had not definitely had lessons and passed the test though  :o

22 yrs cleaning carpets and was never asked if i was a member .......... but i have had jobs in the 3 years since i joined, that i do not think i would have got in the past.

lands

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2008, 10:56:31 pm »
Pete

Your missing the point that is your not the customer.

The customer who knows nothing about carpet cleaning looks for ways to be reassured about her buying decision.  NCCA membership or indeed any specific trade type body will put her mind at ease.

It matters not that theres top cleaners who arnt NCCA approved to the customer she has no way of telling beforehand.

Regarding TMs, a picture of a TM showing its benefits during your sales process will greatly improve your chances of getting the job over a portable company as its percieved value and results.  A portable has no performance benefit over a TM and while a professional operator may achieve the same results its the perception to the customer that this big industrial looking machine will produce better results.

Mark

I understand what your saying Mark but i certainly don't think think I am missing the point. Being NCCA member makes you no better than someone else. Wanting to move forward, learn from your peers, and being dedicated to your performance is what counts.

mark_roberts

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2008, 11:36:16 pm »
Point taken but I still think a formal organised structured course is the best, quickest and fool proof way of learning and only for a few hundred quid.

Mark

Joe H

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2008, 05:30:59 am »
This thread was not about the pros and cons of TM or a portable, or indeed TM v portable

Nor was it about pros and cons of being a NCCA member.

Do you remember it was about Richard in Leeds wanting a carpet cleaner for his flat.
He wanted advice on how to get one and what sort of price he should pay for a good service.

He looked in local directory, Leeds being a big place he found loads of them. Some will be very good, some would be splash and dash. But the nice adverts dont tell him which are what.

More then one suggested going to the NCCA website and look for a Leeds carpet cleaner.
I agree that being a member of NCCA does not mean you are the worlds best carpet cleaner.....
BUT it is highly unlikely that someone who is paying £200 per year membership is likely to be a splash and dash merchant, so IMO it is a good pointer.

and on the point of     ... if there was a truck mount and a portable outside my house which would I choose to clean my carpets............
I would'nt want either if Micky Mouse was the operator.
There is more to carpet cleaning then grunt from a machine.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2008, 07:35:42 am »
Hi Guys

I would always look for someone who has experience, preferably at least 5 years.

A 2 day course which everyone passes hardly constitutes a trained CC, but I suppose it's better than someone with no experience or training.

I know people will say how does one tell who has experience but I think most people can tell .

Maybe it's time to set up an experienced carpet cleaners association ?

Cheers

Doug

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2008, 08:10:15 am »
DOUG.
What aload of RUBBISH i have only been running the carpet cleaning for side of  my business for less than five yesrs SO YOU SAY I CAN'T BE EXPERIENCED RUBBISH.I have found out from some of my customers that a so called ( EXPERIENCED ) carpet cleaner they had before didn't vac didn't prespray and didn't agitate before hwe.This carpet cleaner MUST DO A GOOD JOB BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN AT IT FOR OVER 10 YEARS RUBBISH.The customers didn't know any better until i cleaned their carpet and made a better job NOW MY CUSTOMERS.

YOURS AN INEXPERIENCED CARPET CLEANER
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2008, 08:24:36 am »
Joe

How many smartly dressed, certificate carrying, individuals have you met in your life, at work, or elsewhere, who KNOW THE THEORY and have the paperwork to proe it, but range from moderately good to useless...........

I have worked with many and have met many more, in all walks of life.

For the past 30 years, people have been directed towards certification and given the impression that being in receipt of " diplomas " or " certificates " gives them the credibility they need and gives employers a sense of security " knowing they have been trained "

The reality is..............they have been given an INSIGHT into the business, mainly in classroom scenarios, but have NOT experienced learning in the REAL WORKING ENVIRONMENT and gained the benefit of working with experienced people in that environment.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the MODERN psuedo accademic finds themselves in a situation for which they are totally ill prepared and will attempt to put the THEORY into PRACTICE.

I met a man recently who works as a brickie, he was discussing a young man who joined their squad having completed a MODERN APPRENTiCESHIP type course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the young man was totally frustrating the others and after a week they had enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seems they tell students at the training college to keep oiling their trowels to get optimum performance and the young man wasted so much time following  the regime the squad performance was seriously compromsed

just an example

rob

mark_roberts

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2008, 08:27:20 am »
so called ( EXPERIENCED ) carpet cleaner they had before didn't vac didn't prespray and didn't agitate before hwe

You must have very clued in customers if they could tell the above months or years down the line.

I agree with Doug that experience is a good benchmark as is running a fulltime carpet cleaning business.  Again its customer perception.

Mark

Joe H

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2008, 09:02:31 am »
You must have very clued in customers if they could tell the above months or years down the line.

Its called memory - cutomers have memories. How long ago this "experianced" c/cleaner had cleaned the carpets for the customer Tony didnt say, just that the cutomer remembered "he" didnt do what Tony was doing. So it might have been 6 months, 12 months whatever.

Rob, agree with you 100%
what i said is that referring to NCCA was a pointer in the right direction for Richard. He's got to go somewhere to get a carpet cleaner.

I agree generally whats been said about training and holding certificates. You achieved a standard on a certain day - be it written or practical test/exam.
Its what you do afterwards and continue to do that counts.
Back in the early 70's I passed the Institute of Advanced Drivers test both in a car and on a motorcycle.
I feel priviliged to have been trained by both the Gt Manchester Police and Cheshire Police advanced drivers of motorcycles.
Whilst I was involved with the Inst of Adv Motorists and in training learner motorcyclists my standards were high.
Now I am not involved I know my standards have dropped somewhat. (lower then I think probably).
So I am not a massive advocate of joining associations persay..... but they do have a value and at this moment in time I am happy to be a member of the NCCA..................
but yes, experiance counts for an awful lot.

richardc1983

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2008, 09:36:01 am »

How come this guy has a 47 posts to his name? He seems very well educated in the world of carpet cleaning, esp. for a guy who doesnt even own the carpets his landlord does allegedly.
This is a post from someone taking the pi##, or is it just me?

Dan

I wouldnt say i was taking the pi$$ at all.  IM asking you proffesionals.  I never get round to getting this done due to workin full time and different shifts but my landlord is going to redecorate my flat and i thought would be good to get them cleaned at last.

richardc1983

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2008, 09:43:47 am »
Whoa! Calm down fellas!

Ive found a CC his names Paul Smith of quality care plus http://www.qualitycareplusltd.co.uk  and is very local to me being only a postcode away.

Him being a truckmount did help me make my mind up i think its the vision that it will be better.  I perhaps know this is not true from reading your comments!

Has been reccomended by someone on here as being very good.

Many thanks for all your constructive comments and advice.

Its a fountain of knowledge this website.