Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dawn78

Bringing my pile carpet up
« on: March 07, 2008, 06:36:34 pm »
Hi i bought a decent pile carpet 5 mths ago but i am not happy with how it is a bit flat, am i better buying another hoover with good air watts? or buy a carpet rake? i have no idea, my hoover seems fine picks up any rubbish and bits on floor but not doing much good for carpet!

*paul_moss

Re: Bringing my pile carpet up
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:52:05 pm »
Dawn with no info on your profile and a post like that  ::) what kind of an answer do you expect???
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:00:45 pm »
Dawn

Is it Polypropylene?
Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

dawn78

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:31:50 am »
hi yes it is Polypropylene

carpet guy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:57:53 am »
Dawn

Are you in he cleaning business ?

rob

dawn78

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 11:09:19 am »
hell no, i struggle cleaning my own house  :P it is my living room carpet i am wanting advice on, hope i am still ok to ask even thou i am not in the business, just my carpet isnt very happy, it is a bit flat, so not sure whether i need to invest in a carpet rake or a better hoover, and if so a upright or a cylinder going to be better bringing up the pile ?? :)

maxcarpets

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 02:49:38 pm »
your going to get told to have it cleaned if you ask that sort of question on here.

dawn78

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 02:51:12 pm »
well it defo not in need of cleaning :P i wont let no one wear shoes on it, it is really clean as quite new, it just u know when pile doesnt stand up no more and it all flat i just want to bring it up, simple question but no one wants to help me :( i will just invest in a new hoover and a carpet rake as think carpet rakes are meant to be good for bringing pile up

dawn78

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »
sorry for posting for advice on here, i googled my query and it bought me to this site which as u say it is for carpet cleaning which mine doesnt need. sorry again!

Joe H

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:36:07 pm »
If you going to buy a new cleaner I recomend for home use a Sebo Felix - go on ebay and do a search - pay probably about £185.  Good suction and powered brush so should do your pile a world of good.

dawn78

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 05:02:55 pm »
thanks :) i was borrowin my mates dyson but seems too harsh on my carpet :S will look at one of those ones u mentioned :) thanks :)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 05:26:27 pm »
Polypropylene is, IMO, the lowest resilience of all the main carpet fibres. Walk on it, it flattens, it doesn't "bounce" back up like a good wool carpet will. The carpet will crush more under furniture feet.

A correctly used good quality upright vacuum cleaner will delay the flattening process but not prevent it.

As time goes by, you will find that the flattened fibres/yarn will hold onto to small bits of fibre which you wont be able to vac out. Professional cleaning with suitable agitation will reduce this build up but not prevent it.

On the plus side, the yarn is cheap to produce so you get more carpet for your money. It's also very resistant to water based staining.

Other negatives are  easily stained and soiled from oil whether animal, mineral or vegateable. Also it has a very low melting point. Drag a chair or table across the carpet and the friction can damage the fibre tips and sometimes cause pile reversal.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

dawn78

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 05:29:01 pm »
that made me feel what a good buy i have haha

so what is the best way to maintain it? what sort of vacuum going to be best for it, i noticed mine has a really rubbish suction, the dyson bought it up a bit more than mine, so i not sure what to do as carpet cost me 450 and want it to last longer than 5 mths :(

Derek_Walker

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 10:26:55 pm »
Basically do not walk on it, make sure the curtains are shut during the day to prevent the sun from changing the colour, oh and try not to put any furniture on top of it. Apart from that you should be okay.  ;D

But seriously, regular vacuuming with something like the felix will be good for the carpet, unfortunately carpet dents where the furniture sits is something you will have to live with. You are already doing the right thing by not wearing shoes when walking on it.

dawn78

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 11:09:42 am »
i think i am a bit over protective wit the carpet, but at least will keep better maintained, no one allowed to eat or drink in room etc :) is good air watts best thing to have on a vacuum to bring pile up?

Derek_Walker

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 05:00:03 pm »
best thing you can have on your vacuum is a rotating power brush underneath to pick up bits and bring up the pile.

Mike Roper

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 05:45:37 pm »
Unfortunately you are fighting a loosing battle with this one, as pointed out polyprop flattens down very quickly and will not spring back up like wool.This is especially so on the cheaper end stuff, no disrepect,. The general guide to quality/ wearability is how close together the tufts or pile is , the more tufts per sq inch the better. Save up for a wool mix one cos youll never be happy with the one youve got.
Mike

MCS

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 03:27:03 pm »
As what ken and Mike has said Polyprop bends and distorts , usually good carpet shops have a sign explaining that this carpet has a problems to distort and shading in main traffic areas.

You get what you pay for in this world and thats true when buying a carpet .. Invest in the best carpet and underlay you can afford and maintain the carpet youll find that not only you apprecate a qualty carpet more but youll find it will last a life time .

Theres nothing better under foot than a quality 80/20 carpet it has the best of both worlds a 100% polyprop is great for some wear and has a good resistants against spillages but youll never get the pile back

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:43:27 pm »
The advice I give to people starting out with a new home, is to buy the cheapest carpet they can find while they save up for a decent wool mix.
As you may have gathered from the above posts polyprop carpet is not the best for looking good over a longer while.
I cleaned a carpet today that has been down for 20+ years and is pure wool. It must have cost a fortune then and would be megamega bucks now. Out if my league.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:44 pm »
The sting in the purchase is the word Wilton, when folks see that word they think quality!
I think ken’s answer covers most of what can be said about the carpet if not all 

Trevor’s approach is spot on “it’s a quick fix for a short period” unlike the wool mixes their looks are not made to last.  But hard wearing they are if you don’t mind flat looking carpet! :)