This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richy L

Old Carpet Removal
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:44:21 pm »
i have been asked to remove some VERY old carpet from the back of a shop.
Its a stairway and landing. i need to rip it up, bag it, dispose of it, then sweep and hoover it.

...oh yeah, and it hasn't been used for about 12 years....  so as you can imagine its VERY dusty.

I I have put in £100. is this reasonable?
have no idea how much i should be charging for this.

Ian Rochester

Re: Old Carpet Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:50:28 pm »
I would quote a lot more than that, how bigs the area and how are you going to dispose of it?  Commercial waste needs a disposal permit or needs to go into a skip to be disposed of.

We would be looking at the cost of a mini skip (£120+vat) plus labour costs at £20/manhour

Richy L

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:02:26 pm »
i just finished the job actually.

It took me 1.5 hours for the whole job.
And i have 5 black bags of carpet. No where near enough for a skip. I need to go down the dump to get rid of some things from my house anyway, i was just going to add that to the trip.

How much is a permit, and what excatly does it let you do?

Ian Rochester

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:35 pm »
Just phone up your local council, where we are you can get up to 12 permits per year free.

£100 is probably a fair price considering it was only a small job

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
when i finished the job she said it was contaminated!
She didnt know what with though. Any ideas? ??? ???

pro-clean

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:11:32 pm »
strange one this, has their been any building alterations, was their any mold about, also when you removed the carpets did they have any tiles underneath them, any visable stains on the carpets.

We were recently asked to clear a 100  foot garden, the builder was renovating a 3 story property to make into student accomodation, when we turned up on site we estimated that their would be approximately 15 skips worth of waste to be removed at that stage, the area was completely overgrown with vegetation which made the investigation difficult but we decided to spend over an hour carrying out a thorough investigation of the waste before removal and we found an estimated weight of a ton of abestos hiden amongst rubbish including bags and crushed up in amongst debris, it turnt out we were one of several contractors that had been asked to remove the waste, it also turnt out that the owner/builder of the property had recently been inspected and had been asked to remove the waste by the environmental health, with out our investigation we would of been removing hazardous waste that we wern't licensed to remove.

This could of crippled us as a  business if we had moved it and been investigated let alone the damage it could of done to our healths :)
Cleaning ..it for a living

TVCS

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:19:06 pm »
nice of her to tell you it was contaminated when you had Finished the job
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Richy L

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:07:09 pm »

I know!!
She said "...well if you have been contaminated then you know where you've got it from"
Cheers lady! that helps ::)

It was a really old building above a shop. there was plenty of damp, looked like a leaky roof. Apart from that though, i couldnt see anything else.

drivewasher

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:41:26 am »
Why didn't you ask what it was contaminated with?

The suspence is killing me!
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

pro-clean

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

I know!!
She said "...well if you have been contaminated then you know where you've got it from"

It was a really old building above a shop. there was plenty of damp, looked like a leaky roof. Apart from that though, i couldnt see anything else.
really don't know could be anything, vermin infestation, body fluids, mold, lets hope you were wearing the right ppe :)
Cleaning ..it for a living

Richy L

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 04:53:42 pm »

I know!!

really don't know could be anything, vermin infestation, body fluids, mold, lets hope you were wearing the right ppe :)

hmmm...
Well i didnt know about any contanimination until i finished. So i just wore gloves, long sleeved top and a face mask for the dust.
Why didn't you ask what it was contaminated with?

The suspence is killing me!

...i did ask but she didnt have a clue.

Well im not itching at all .... which has to be good surely! :-\ :)