Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

poleman

Re: DIY a gutter vacuum system
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2008, 06:40:38 pm »
Good points

Problem with a Vacuum Cleaner that has a 51mm outlet is they are not cheap! I have been looking at this (gutter vac system) for months, and your looking at a new vac with a 51mm outlet 6 or 7 hundred pounds, where 38mm ones are 2 or 3 hundred pounds, the very large clumps 1, 2 or 3 foot long i would guess you can suck and dump, I am sure Mr H could help on this!

Andy   

TennetClean

« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2008, 07:40:39 pm »
LOL what a hilarious thread this turned out to be,

I guess if you make ridiculous claims you have to be prepared to have them challenged.

It took me like 5 mins of sniffing around the internet to find a whole load of omnipoles "inventions"

Look here, this is the amazingly invented and patented omnitrolley LOL
Otherwise known as the mantis spray partner

http://littlewonder.com/10_spraypartner/10_01_pn_500701.pdf

Here is the omnitrolley MK2 (scroll to bottom)
Otherwise known as an Allman Sprayer

http://www.allman-sprayers.co.uk/html/turf___horticultural.html

He probably gonna tell us they copied him.  LOL

Still gotta hand it to him, he's managed to be a DIY bloke, but selling it to other people LOL
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

matt

« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2008, 09:03:39 pm »

I guess if you make ridiculous claims you have to be prepared to have them challenged.

It took me like 5 mins of sniffing around the internet to find a whole load of omnipoles "inventions"

Still gotta hand it to him, he's managed to be a DIY bloke, but selling it to other people LOL

the Mantis sprayer has been on here before, last time we had a discussion on it, it was decided as it wasnt RED then it wasnt a omnitrolley, they might have invented the colour red now  :P :P who knows

jeff1

« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2008, 09:04:58 pm »

WoW!  :o :o :o

Kev R

« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »
I must say this has been an amazing bun fight  ;)

tonyoliver

« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2008, 09:20:26 pm »
it all sucks

Kev R

« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:19 pm »
it all sucks

I think thats "Patently" obvious LOL  ;D

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2008, 09:53:53 pm »

I think I first saw the  omni trolley at the windsor Holiday Inn  Fed show in 1999 built for a guy in Derby. It was Omnis own moulding. The Mantis came a couple of years later.

Mr H

« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2008, 10:07:26 pm »
Good points

Problem with a Vacuum Cleaner that has a 51mm outlet is they are not cheap! I have been looking at this (gutter vac system) for months, and your looking at a new vac with a 51mm outlet 6 or 7 hundred pounds, where 38mm ones are 2 or 3 hundred pounds, the very large clumps 1, 2 or 3 foot long i would guess you can suck and dump, I am sure Mr H could help on this!

Andy   

I have used the Gutter Sucker to suck and dump a few bits of slate, tennis balls, rugby ball and a sweatshirt.
Had a couple of blockages at the point where the pe inside the vacuum has blocked due to twigs stopping the leaves. Its no big deaas you just rest the pole section against the gutter and unplug the pipe from the vacuum and pull out the twig. Not had any blockages in the tubes or the pipes other than the first useage. On that occasion I put the whole gutter end into a huge blockage in a downpipe. But as the SL2 is so light I didn't have to dismantle it to unblock it. Just tipped it down to horizontal and plled the stuff out, then straight back up again. That was at about 40ft in length.
So long as when you move along you don't shove it in to the middle of a large clump of wet leaves then your fine.
I usually "bounce" the fitting along in the gutter. Moving it a few inches at a time so as to get everything out and not to get to much going in at once.
The last time I used it I tried firstly going along the top of the gutter so hat the end was just over halfway over the gutter edge. This picked up quite a bit of light dry stuff. Then I went along the it inside the gutter and it did a good job.
The upholstery tool is great for the sections where the tiles come to far down into the gutter. I have cut some "V" shapes in to one to act as teeth or rake to break up and big bits but as yet I have only tester it on a piece of guttering in the garage with some soil packed in so have to wait till a field test to decide if it is any good.
Put a short split in the pipe and used a jubilee clip to hold it in place...
BUT... since then I have  fitted one of the plastic extension pipes that comes with the vacuum to the gutter end of the pipe. That way it is easier to change tools as they just push fit on to this.

Hope that all makes sence....

Regards
Mr H

« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2008, 10:24:13 pm »
All this Gutter Sucker stuff has convinced me more and more that all you need is some kind of rake/spike/tool of some sort to just drag along the gutter on the top of your pole to catch the biggest stuff and drag it over the side, no pressure washers and no vac cleaners required. I suppose the problem would be those clips that bridge the gutter?

gsw

« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2008, 10:27:51 pm »
out of interest as there seems to be a  few of you "vac-ers " out there , how much do you charge per meter of gutter? I have only ever done 3 or 4 cleans by hand and hated them so much i stopped offering the service....it seemed i had the pricing totally wrong and it was a filthy dangerous job!! but as it seems "quite" straight forward to diy a vac (and ionics have already had enough of my hard earned!) i might give it go if the price is right!!

cheers, greg

Mr H

« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2008, 10:29:38 pm »
I did see something a few months ago on an American site. It was like a pair of plastic salad tongs on the end of a long pole. Worked ok'ish but you can't see what you have or haven't left behind. The thing I don't like about preasure washing the debris out of a gutter is cleaning all the mess up afterwards. Whats on the ground as well as whats stuck to the walls.....

If you do come up with an idea then great.... Go for it....

Regards
Mr H

Mr H

« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35:10 pm »
out of interest as there seems to be a  few of you "vac-ers " out there , how much do you charge per meter of gutter? I have only ever done 3 or 4 cleans by hand and hated them so much i stopped offering the service....it seemed i had the pricing totally wrong and it was a filthy dangerous job!! but as it seems "quite" straight forward to diy a vac (and ionics have already had enough of my hard earned!) i might give it go if the price is right!!

cheers, greg

Average house of average height then for each side I charge £25 for empty £25 for a clean or £35 for both empty and clean. If its a 2 storey town house then the price is upped
to £35 each and £50 for both. Then depending on the size of the house you just work out if a side is 2 or 3 times the average sort of size. If its a really aukward bit then charge a bit extra again.

Regards
Mr H

gsw

« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2008, 10:46:50 pm »
appreciated , thanks

jeff1

« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2008, 11:34:21 pm »
I did see something a few months ago on an American site. It was like a pair of plastic salad tongs on the end of a long pole. Worked ok'ish but you can't see what you have or haven't left behind. The thing I don't like about preasure washing the debris out of a gutter is cleaning all the mess up afterwards. Whats on the ground as well as whats stuck to the walls.....

If you do come up with an idea then great.... Go for it....

Regards
Mr H
Mr H
You have it all wrong with the lance and pressure washer, if you angle the jets right, you blow all the crap into next doors garden, Hey presto no cleaning up afterwards   8) ;D ;D ;D ;D and you might even land the job of cleaning all the crap of next doors house  :) ;D ;D

Kev R

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2008, 07:02:37 pm »
I have to say at this point I am a user of Omnipoles gutter vac and Powerpole. The guttervac is a very good machine and is the only one on the market that boasts a 50mm vacuum tube, and a semi telescopic aluminum pole. Whatever one might think the fact is its an exceptional tool and has made me many £££ since I bought it. I have several very lucrative contracts just because of the machines capabilities. I also Love the Omnipole Powerpole not for wfp but for pressure washing at 36ft which is well beyond any other lances capability.

Before we knock Omnipole and Glyn Howard maybe we should think about the good he has done for our industry. I know I would buy either tool from him again without hesitation.

Another point I shall raise is that If I use a 38 mm tool on the end of my gutter vac It does block a lot and you spend your time playing suck and dump. With out this tool on and the open 50 mm attachment the machine justs eats and eats! Making the job faster. I recently did a block of three storey flats. I charge £300 as the only alternative was scaffolding. I was there for 2.5 hours.

I know nothing about copyright or patents but I do know the Omnivac is an exceptional tool.

Kev  ;)

Mr H

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2008, 07:26:28 pm »
I certainly haven't tried to knock the Omnipole.
All I did was post details of how someone can DIY a gutter vacuuming system for themselves. Just like some in the past have posted details of how to make WFP poles out of fishing poles or how to make a trolley system or even how to put together a van system for less from different suppliers.....
I'm sure its a very good pole and I look forward to one day comparing it to my DIY system and posting the findings.....

Regards
Mr H

matt

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2008, 07:28:22 pm »

Before we knock Omnipole and Glyn Howard maybe we should think about the good he has done for our industry. I know I would buy either tool from him again without hesitation.

to be fair Kev, i dont think any1 is knocking glyn ( omni )

he has made some statements in this thread that were just a little OTT, the thing about trolleys, backpacks, split chargers, baffled tanks, trolleys, backpacks, split chargers, baffled tanks, independant power supplies, Vikan brushes,

the nateral progression from a big van mount system for the bigger operators and the 1 man WC'er was allways going to be a trolley, of course that would need a independant power supply ( battery ) im not sure he can claim that as his idea

split chargers have been using in the caravan . motorhome for a very long time, i belive westefila installed a 2nd power source  in the 70's

oh and  Jeff B been using his backpack for a fair long time, i dont know if its longer than glyn has been usnign / selling them

Glyn has been a mover in the WFP scene, im not sure he has many new tricks up his sleeve, he might have, but some of the newer idea's are coming from the lads online who like to experiment with different things, you cannot use idea's from the DIY lot and then slag them off for building stuff for themselves

Kev R

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2008, 07:53:40 pm »

to be fair Kev, i dont think any1 is knocking glyn ( omni )

he has made some statements in this thread that were just a little OTT, the thing about trolleys, backpacks, split chargers, baffled tanks, trolleys, backpacks, split chargers, baffled tanks, independant power supplies, Vikan brushes,

the nateral progression from a big van mount system for the bigger operators and the 1 man WC'er was allways going to be a trolley, of course that would need a independant power supply ( battery ) im not sure he can claim that as his idea

split chargers have been using in the caravan . motorhome for a very long time, i belive westefila installed a 2nd power source  in the 70's

oh and  Jeff B been using his backpack for a fair long time, i dont know if its longer than glyn has been usnign / selling them

Glyn has been a mover in the WFP scene, im not sure he has many new tricks up his sleeve, he might have, but some of the newer idea's are coming from the lads online who like to experiment with different things, you cannot use idea's from the DIY lot and then slag them off for building stuff for themselves

I agree with you Matt and you Mr H,

Inventions related to our industry will always benefit us the end user. Invented by a company like Omnipole or an inventor like Mr Jeff Brimble or a Problem solver and DiY enthusiast like Mr. H. If they took an invention and adapted for use or invented it from scratch it is irrelevant as long as it benefits our industry. I can understand Glyns reaction to some degree as the Omnivac is part of his living. He has spent valuable time and money developing it. Its a fantastic tool I can vouch for that. I can also understand why Mr H has built his own.

The experiment Mr H is doing with a Carbon fibre modular pole is very interesting. Will it last very long with nails, bits of roof tiles, grit and other assorted things found in gutters sucked through it? I for one am very interested to know. Also is it as effective with a standard 38 mm vac hose on it?, why did Glyn opt for a 50 mm hose and modify the vacuum to accept this larger hose? Im sure we will all find out soon thanks to Mr H and Glyn.

Forums are fantastic places to meet others and learn. But some times a bit of text taken out of context can lead to crucification as we all know.

I personally have enjoyed this debate but i must say that this forum would be better place for having both Mr H and Glyn in it especially as one of them would be able to answer my questions ;)

jeff1

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2008, 08:38:47 pm »
If Glyn would have answered just a few simple questions directly and not the way a Politician does, then it would not have turned into a debate, no one knocked his product and I myself praised them, I have never used them but I did read up on the specs.

I have a lot of respect for the Guy but Glyn does not own the vacuum Industry but he chose to come on here and warn members about copyrights, he refused to answer what part was under his patent or even give the registered numbers, so we could check his copyright, even while a copyright is pending its still protected from the date it was registered, so no one could have pinched his copyright and I'm sure no one wants to.

No one as far as I knew wanted to copy his sytem directly or make it look like the omnivac one, all they wanted to do was build there own system, save money and work safely from the ground.