This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drive surgeon

pressure washing - transit van or trailer??
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:45:20 pm »
hi im still toting with the idea of getting a big transit van or getting a 4x4 car and buying a trailer,  i have a full cold water set up and was hoping to fit 1000ltr tank in whatever i get.  i only have a small kangoo with no water on board at thre mo.  i just use water supply on site.   think i will benefit with the tank in van.

the benefit of the van is that its all in the one vehicle but the van is my only vehicle to get me around for my private journeys too.  were as if i got a trailer i could un hook it and have a nice 4x4 to use for my private stuff.  anyone got any fors and againsts?    money is an issue too! ???

sam1975

Re: pressure washing - transit van or trailer??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:01:55 pm »
trailer 
why 4x4?

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:08:16 pm »
well i dont think a normal car will pull a big trailer will it?

drive surgeon

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:09:12 pm »
which looks the most professional? i would say a transit van fully sign written!  ???

sam1975

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:40:43 pm »
 a transit will pull a trailer fine not very good for fishing trips though
i just said trailer because it was the first word that jumped to mind.
how much money do you want to spend?
what level of mobility do you want?
what level of security?
do you want to advertise?
what is your market?
sorry where is your market?

poleman

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:07:05 am »
I had a trailer when I had my transit and oh boy did I hate it! but then I was no good a reversing the bloody thing :-[

Andy

keith b

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:19 pm »
I would go for a transit size van - depending on budget - I would be tempted to go for a LPG version (cheaper on fuel)

Reasons;- Gives you options for moving larger items about for your own use - plus with pressure washing.... you are really never going to be able to carry enough water about to complete a job outright....even towing a water bowser via a trailer! - plus its awkward to manouver!

I even known some people who use there work vans for camping/sleeping or trips to festivals in on weekends away!

Fitting a 1000ltr tank into the van is good for maintaining a flow of water to your pressure washer equipment or for possible options to do window cleaning via a RO unit!

Richy L

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 04:59:42 pm »
i have a 650 tank in the back of my transit, but with continuous jet washing ive used it all in about 40 mins tops.
Its usefull for the little jobs i.e. graffiti removal.

I used to use a trailer and i hated it. for the same reason as poleman. its a pain!
I use a transit, but it is a little cramped with the tank, the machine, hoses, chemicals plus my window cleaning stuff. Mine is a SWB, so i would sujest something a bit bigger.

drive surgeon

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »
so its a van then?,, any guys got any good views on a trailer? :)

drive surgeon

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:02:23 am »
hi guys, do you ever travel local with a full 1000 ltr tank of water to a job, say to do a shop front to save using hoses to their tapsfor an hours work?,,, its a pain having to run hoses from sinks and through shops sometimes but if i had a full tank i could prob get away from doing that?  just after your thoughts? ???

Eric Lloyd

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:23:35 pm »
Don't forget 1000l of water = 1000kg which is a ton so watch your permitted all-up weight; then there's you kit on top. Your tank should be baffled to stop the water slamming up and down. Also watch your centre of gravity, braking distances etc!

drive surgeon

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
thanks eric,  will bear that in mind. :)

Ged

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 02:17:07 pm »
advantages of trailer
1 Cheap to buy. get one with high mesh sides.
2 can use your car to tow if you have business use.
3 you don't need a tank just a 120 l plumbed wheelie bin. you will never have enough water in a tank anyhow for most jobs so what's the point in carting tons of water. this uses loads of very expensive fuel.
4 you can cheaply have panels made with signage on.
5 unhook after days work and use your car/ mpv for family.
6 you can leave  your machine set up on the trailer and just get plenty of hose.

trailer is great to start with for domestics. if you are going into commercial work then you can always upgrade.

Dis avdvantages

1 doesn't look as professional as van
2 you need secure storage.
3 difficult to reverse but with a few hours practice on a car park you'll get better at it. at the end of the day you can uncouple a small trailer in seconds and move it by hand. ok you might feel a bit of a pillock but so what.

Ged

rob fryer

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 11:24:03 am »
If you use a trailer would sugest a double axel trailer, will take more load also alot better to reverse .
Have you thought about a box trailer more secure ,looks pro and can have it sign written.

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 11:31:03 am »
yes if i bought one it would be a box trailer. :)

keith b

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 01:23:39 pm »
drive surgeon,

If you decide to buy a box trailer - I would seriously consider buying a caravan manouvering wheel to fit on the front of the trailer!

Ged

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 02:30:18 pm »
 hi keith

how does  a caravan manouvering wheel work . is i diferent to a jockey wheel.

Ged

rob fryer

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 03:17:15 pm »
Had a customer who had a radio control unit on his caravan,he had drive rollers which he would lower onto the wheels they where connected to a battery driven motor,this guy was in his 70s and his van was a double axel .
He could move the van by himself right up to the hitch just with the control unit, This would be great for a trailer ,i think it cost about 800 pounds.

keith b

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »
Ged,

Type-in `Caravan Mover` into ebays search engine, basically they are a replacement motorized jockey wheel (12v battery can sit on the `V` part of the trailer in box), but there other types.

Eurotech and Purpleline make them!

Seen a secondhand one with an hour to go on ebay for about £80, brand new about £300 I think.

drive surgeon

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07:28 pm »
still a tough choice for me, trailer is a lot cheaper but i suppose it does not look as pro as a van.