This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KevTraynor

New employee
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for your help with previous posts but i am looking for more help.

I am starting my first employee for a contract and was wondering if anyone has any documents that they could pass on.
Looking for employee contract, Training manual, and anything else helpful

Hope this isnt asking to much

Cheers
Kev
info@elitecleanservices.co.uk

Robert Parry

Re: New employee
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:57:02 pm »
Hi Kev,

I dont mean to rain on your parade, but taking on staff is a big responsibility, my advice is to get yourself some legal advice on what your responsibilities are legally, this does not have to cost the earth, first point of call would be Business link or similair in your local area, then Revenue & Customs.

I also noticed that you use Quickbooks for accounting, but want to swap to excel! Why?

In order to give you some idea of whats involved in employing staff, take a look at the download documents section on this forum under the heading of Employee Handbook, poster is obviously my goodself ;D

Regards,

Rob
A world of difference....

KevTraynor

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:08:08 pm »
Hi Robert

Thanks for your concerns but i have already sorted the legal stuff. I have registered with revenue and customs and am awaiting current emploer package,

Was looking to see if Excel would provide better tracking of invoices, aggreements, contracts, wages , payslips and expenses if someone else had a general template. But have now seen acoountant and everything sorted in that front.

Had a good look at your training manualhas lots of good info do you mind if i change this to suit my company.

thanks
Kev

Robert Parry

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:47:49 pm »
Hi Kev,

Not at all mate, thats what its there for lol.

Regards,

Rob
A world of difference....

PremierPDS

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:18:05 pm »
Hi Kev

Surely an accountant is an expense you can do without with just one employee? Download microsoft office accounting from here for free http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/accountingexpress/FX101729681033.aspx
I've been using this for about 6 months and it's great- similar to spread sheets and it tots up and works out everything for you for both invoices and wages etc.

Nickie x
Flyers, Business Cards, Bi and Tri fold leaflets, Brochures and much much more designed and printed at www.premierpds.co.uk

*Chris Browne

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 03:37:59 pm »
Disagree, although i think it largely depends on what line of business you are in and how busy you are, an accountant in my view is something you cannot do without :)

Chris

drive surgeon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 06:24:16 pm »
yes you need an accountant really. ;)

PremierPDS

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 04:11:54 pm »
I've been in business a little over 4 years now and now run two businesses with a total of 22 employees which makes me very very busy but with a little organisation and some good software I've not yet had the need for an accountant and have done my own accounts from day one. I guess it depends on how good you are with numbers and terminology as to whether or not doing your own accounts is worth the time and effort but I personally prefer to do my own and feel that an accountant is an unecessary cost. Maybe one day I'll have need for one but for now I'll carry on doing them myself until I dominate the world lol!

Nickie x
Flyers, Business Cards, Bi and Tri fold leaflets, Brochures and much much more designed and printed at www.premierpds.co.uk

Art

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 04:40:04 pm »
I've been in business a little over 4 years now and now run two businesses with a total of 22 employees which makes me very very busy but with a little organisation and some good software I've not yet had the need for an accountant and have done my own accounts from day one. I guess it depends on how good you are with numbers and terminology as to whether or not doing your own accounts is worth the time and effort but I personally prefer to do my own and feel that an accountant is an unecessary cost. Maybe one day I'll have need for one but for now I'll carry on doing them myself until I dominate the world lol!

Nickie x

Hi Nickie, You might be suprised just how much money an accountant will save you over a year.

Arthur

PremierPDS

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 04:48:51 pm »
aha! My partners daughter is an accountant and I got the low down from her a few years back and she's always answered any questions I've had! A good chat with someone in the know and it's pretty straight forward especially once you get into the swing of things. In the early days, I had her look over everything to see that I was doing things right and not missing out on anything I could claim back etc so I doubt very much that an accountant would save me anything  ;).

P.S. Now is an ideal time to test your own skills with your end of year tax return. Have a go at doing it yourself and then take this to your accountant and get him/her to have look at it and point out your mistakes etc- it's really not that difficult honestly!

Ian Rochester

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »
So in reality you have got an accountant, you're just not paying for one!!

I have an accountant and have had since the early days, I tried doing it myself and then got in an accountant who immediately saved me a lot more than he cost me.

Back to the original question, the business link website has most of the forms, T & C, etc, that you need.

PremierPDS

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 08:32:34 pm »
erm no, I don't have an accountant that I pay for or don't pay for. If you look again at my post it says 'in the early days I got her to look over things' lol ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 11:51:57 am »
Disagree, although i think it largely depends on what line of business you are in and how busy you are, an accountant in my view is something you cannot do without :)

Chris

Agree most definately, whats a few hundred quid a year for peace of mind and one headache out of the way.

drive surgeon

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:04:31 am »
i agrre too  ;D