This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MSTAV

what are main causes of spots
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:59:32 pm »
whats the main cause if water is 000ppm????? i seem too be getting quite a few lately.im on 2nd and 3rd cleans???maybe im not spending long enough at each window :-\

mark dew

Re: what are main causes of spots
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13:08 am »
Which windows are spotting and what type are they?
Pvc or wooden and are they upstairs or downstairs, or both?
I get some spots quite alot on 1st clean wooden windows and also on the brown pvc windows. With white pvc i get very few.
Generally, i will wash with a high flow rate all the window and frame with the biggest washing above the top frame. Even if there's a vent i will wash above and around on 1st cleans and then go back to scrub and rinse the glass.
It's hard to say really, cos on most 1st cleans i go back and check at the end of the day and they are fine. I will do the same for another similar property and will find some spotting.

Sanity

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:53:05 am »
First cleans (where the frames are also cleaned very thoroughly) tend to spot for me.  I find that if I do the first clean, then come back to the beginning and do just the glass with a good rinse, I get much less spotys.

I would suggest if you are getting spots on the windows, rinse more.

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:59:26 am »
Main cause not rinsing enough especially at the top

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:34:30 am »
Is it worse when the suns directly on the glass?

Steve

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:35:42 am »
And milky frames. A lot of frames are only slightly milky, not enough to be visible, but its enough to leave spots.

If your water is good then it has to come from the window / frame area. Since water only runs down it has to be from above. Lots of rinsing is good but be careful how you splash it about.

Water can run down and drip onto the windows below and that can happen long after you are gone. Drips are a law unto themselves.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 03:35:40 pm »
I did quite a large house last Friday, its the type with modern uPVC georgian windows' it also has vents above the top horizontal bar.

I went back today to do a gutter clean there.

There were a few, and only a few panes with either some random spotting or the top inch of glass had small dried patches on it. On closer inspection it was apparent that the smudged patches were where the water had ran down from off the vents and dripped onto the glass; the top bar also had this on it, it was quite apparent how it had occured.

Lesson? Avoid them vents and do the top bar next time and from then onwards.

Also yesterday I did a place with old sash windows on it on one side of the property, once Id finished I went back and got the ladder off to have a good look. I was disappointed with them and traded them. They had runs, which could happen on any window but also it looked like where the water had run off the top sash and across the underside of the bottom bar, picking up dirt as it went and depositing this on the bottom pane in large blotches. Solution? Do them trad or maybe on a real low pump setting when I first turn up, then go back and rinse again JUST the glass before I leave after doing the rest of the house.

How does that sound guys?

Matt

MSTAV

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 03:45:51 pm »
taa for ya help and advice guys especially paul griffin on the phone...hopefully ill combat it now