Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Grainger

Hwat Questions do you Ask when you Quote over the Phone
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:36 pm »
HI all

Just wondering what questions do you ask when you Quote over the phone and what sets you apart from the others.

Cheers

Neil

lands

Re: Hwat Questions do you Ask when you Quote over the Phone
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:22:30 pm »
What, Why, When, How. All open ended questions that get the custy talking. Helps you convert, get a good price and more chance of protection. Tell you more on 7th April

Re: What Questions do you Ask when you Quote over the Phone
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »
Just wondering what questions do you ask when you Quote over the phone and what sets you apart from the others.

After last week clearly not enough questions...sorry about that mate  ;) Clearly from that exercise if I'd ask a 1000 questions it was still going to go *its up.
Sizes
Type of carpet?
Age of carpet?
Marks/stains?
Colours?
Has it been cleaned before? if so how and by who?
When would you like the job done?
It is always better to see the job and so you can meet me too?
Is there a prefered method of cleaning you would like?
Are there any questions you would like to ask me about methods etc
Have you had any other quotes? If yes and it's one of those £55 whole house jobs then start the frighteners about you get what you pay for and you've got my number when it all goes wrong.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:35 pm »
Typical questions include:

Where abouts are you?

How much do you want doing?

Were you referred by someone? (nice question)

When do you want it doing and why now?

And what's important to you about having.......?

Is price your main concern then?

What's the name?
and your address?
Phone number?

I can be round tomorrow either lunchtime or early eve, which would be best for you?

All with various softeners.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »
I can be round tomorrow either lunchtime or early eve, which would be best for you?

Are you not busy then?  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:10:01 pm »
my first question is where do you live? if its out of my area or an area I don't want to work then I just hit them with a high price, take it or leave, then get off the phone, I don't waste my time with people I don't want as customers.

if its in my area then they are intelligent, wealthy individuals who can see the sense behind an in-house quote :) so my question are aimed at getting in the house to quote.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:53 pm »
Neil

i could be round in ten minutes, but that would look too desperate. ;D

garyj

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:39 pm »
Neil

i could be round in ten minutes, but that would look too desperate. ;D

Ask where they are then say " I've been doing a lot of work around there recently, who recommended me to you" or "I'm doing a couple of quotes in ( nearby street ) this afternoon I can pop around and see you at the same time". Always make it sound like people like them in there area are using you, even better if you can say the name of a customer in the area.

I wouldn't ask them over the phone what carpet it is, must wouldn't know anyway beyond its colour, strike up commeraderie, be friendly and just sound like you are really busy.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:02:41 pm »
I don't have a set wording but you do have to play it by ear.

Sometimes you get the local slang who don't know what to ask for apart from price hopefully your marketing has screened these out but 1 or 2 do call and then you have to sell harder for usually little reward.

Shaun

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:31:42 pm »
Qualifying questions are really important. Not just to weed out those who aren't worth the time of day, but to realise who is worth putting extra effort in for. Sometimes the arkward one is the gem.

Then just sell the benefits to them of doing a quote.

lands

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:51 pm »
Mike you are spot on. Qualifying is key part of that process but a good questioning technique will allow you to do this in a very subtle way

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 11:10:47 pm »
Absolutely Pete.

There's the questions you want asked and there's how you ask them.

I particularly like a Socratic approach so that it's all coming from them and you just seem like a good listener. It helps with rapport too.

This is especially the case when you are getting criteria because this isn't something the average person delves into and you propably would get a strange look or have your collar felt. Yet if you are deft all the objection/rebuttal, preclose ..... stuff goes out the window, or is less important.

lands

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:13:01 pm »
Mike, don't bother listening to my short session at the CCDO. You already understand it.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:19:02 pm »
Simply tell them cost per metre over phone ............ can only give quote for work once i have measured, confirmed size, material, fitting, furniture items, access, parking, congestion zone and ............ if they have proper non poncy tea  ;)

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 11:23:41 pm »
 ;D

Will you be doing something on how to get the phone to ring?

Chris

That's because they wouldn't let Earl Grey in the House eh? ;D

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 09:09:53 am »
"Neil

i could be round in ten minutes, but that would look too desperate. "

Just broken my record for speed of response - 20 seconds! Phone goes as I'm driving down a main road. After brief chat it's obvious that a visit is required and I find that custy is on the road I'm driving down. 20 seconds later I'm ringing his doorbell.

I agree with all the above suggestions. My pennyworth is to also find out if it's a house or a flat (sometimes it's obvious) and if a flat which floor they are on and if there is a lift. What will parking be like i.e. do I need a permit, is it "pay & display", double yellow lines, too many other cars etc.etc.

Oh, and is it a new build in which case I need further travelling instructions because it won't be in the satnav/on a map. 

Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:05 am »
Sometimes when there are access problems they don't tell you over the phone unless you ask  as they have been turned down before, and not just for carpet cleaning.

Mark

Joe H

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 11:08:08 am »
Re Access problems
Good point, I got into the habit now of asking if its a flat and which floor - am I going to have to lug up 2 or 3 flights of stairs. Time and effort = money
So many flats being built now and without lifts.

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 11:15:16 am »
Valid point ........... went to customer of 9 years recently ........ got there to find lift being renovated ........... 6 floors in mansion block ............ NEVER AGAIN  :o

Les

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 07:05:22 pm »
Personally I never give a telephone 'Guesstimate'  :o

I've found that Customers will generally describe the carpets as 'not too bad', 'just the odd mark', 'It's not a big area', I don't want to spend too much'  etc. etc. ::)

They generally fail to say 'It's Trashed', 'I live on the Sixth floor', ' you can only do it on Sunday's' , oh , and you can't park within half a mile' !!  :P

I do ask if they're working to a specific date, (if they are it's normally 'Tomorrow') in case I'm already booked up.

But overall I find an on site visit is worth a hundred questions.

Les