This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gsw

getting cement off frames, help please?
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »
I've got the cement off the glass using blade etc, can anyone recommend a quick and easy way off removing set cement off of upvc frames, there is a fair bit to get rid of!!!

cheers fellas

Greg

Jonathan Spencer

Re: getting cement off frames, help please?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »
I have a problem similar but it is getting paint off the frames.  Any ideas?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:44:47 pm »
If a scraper is good enough for the glass, I assume it would be fine for the frames.

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:12:14 pm »
Don't use a metal one, you run the risk of causing damage to the upvc, or if you do use it, make sure you angle it down (hand closer to the frame) use a plastic one just to get the bulk off, then a white scourer will get the stains off.

Anything more difficult to get of ie stains that you can't remove, I can give you two options and I have used them both with a great success rate.

1. Wet & Dry paper (Halfords) this must be the finest grade you can get, I think its 2000 grade, wet it and the sill and rub along the length of the sill and not across it. wipe down afterwards, if its for a regular custy, just rub a little wax/car polish on it and buff up. (this tip was given to me by a plasic sergeon)

2. A little bit more aggressive this one and good for dis-coloured upvc or paint left on it.

2 cloths required (paper towels work best) and work quickly.
Soak first cloth with cellulose Thinners and wipe offendiing area, quickly remove residue cellulose with a clean dry paper towel, you can buff it up with your own cloths afterwards if needed.
This tip was given to me by a painter.

scud

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:41:58 pm »
  I use them little washing up sponges with the green scourer on one side, just tough enough to do the job, but will onlymark upvc if you press too hard.
  I try to do it when no-one is around though!

darren73

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:47:13 pm »
ive used cellulose thinners myself mate-i also got the tip of a painter friend who was told by a guy doing builderscleans-i put it in a spray bottle for handiness,spray on then wipe well with a scrim-it also works on stickers

AJ

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:47:32 am »
Apparently, white vinegar applied to set cement softens it up enough to use a scraper lightly.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 07:50:47 am »
I've got the cement off the glass using blade etc, can anyone recommend a quick and easy way off removing set cement off of upvc frames, there is a fair bit to get rid of!!!

cheers fellas

Greg

A plastic ice scraper works well, the sort you use to get ice off the windscreen of your car.  Best if used after pre-soaking with pure water.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:57:06 pm »
Wilkinsons sell a beauty, size and shape of credit card, 20p.(guess what, i've got two)

craig b

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 06:54:29 pm »
use a wall paper scraper with a thick edge. window scrapers dig in to pvc to easy..