This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pjulk

Charging 2 batteries on a split charge relay
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:34:32 pm »
Is it possible to charge two leisure batteries on a split charge relay.

I have a good split charge relay on my van now but want to add another leisure battery for a 12 volt heater is it possible to connect two batteries together so they both charge.

Paul

Davie T

Re: Charging 2 batteries on a split charge relay
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:33:44 pm »
With the 2 batteries as close to each other as possible, use a piece of electrical wiring between the + terminal of one battery and the + of the other.  Do the same with the - terminals.

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:14:12 pm »
No! No! No! Is the answer Paul
1. You're split charger relay is made for 1 battery, many people think they charge 2 batteries at the same time but they don't, a SCR will not charge your leisure battery until you're van charge is complete and only then will it begin to charge your leisure battery, if you link the two together you will burn your SCR out, because it will be demanding to much current, you also run a risk of burning out your alternator, unless you have the heavy duty type fitted.

That's point one out of the way, now for point two.

If you link your new battery to your old battery and begin to charge them, then your new battery will be pulled down to the old one, then your new battery will be just as good/poor (usually poor) as your old one.
Never ever mix your batteries and try to charge them both at the same time.

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:34:09 pm »
Thanks for that jeff.

I won't be doing that then

Paul

poleman

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:44:06 pm »
Paul, I am in the same boat as you, (but will be moving this year) what I do is put  cheap 7 pounds bed quilts  from the supermarket in the van, works for me  ;)

Andy

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:22:50 pm »
what I do is put  cheap 7 pounds bed quilts  from the supermarket in the van, works for me  ;)

You charge a battery with a quilt? Tell us more ;D

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:05:32 pm »
what I do is put  cheap 7 pounds bed quilts  from the supermarket in the van, works for me  ;)

Rubbing ones hand on  the quilt will cause Static electricity

mark dew

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23:12 pm »
sorry to jump on this topic with another battery question paul but is it possible to run a submersible pump and a flojet van mount pump on 1 battery?
I connected the wires of each to the battery and while they work on there own will not when there are two positives and negatives on each terminal.

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:21:02 pm »
sorry to jump on this topic with another battery question paul but is it possible to run a submersible pump and a flojet van mount pump on 1 battery?
I connected the wires of each to the battery and while they work on there own will not when there are two positives and negatives on each terminal.

This tells me 1 of 2 things, the current required by both pumps at the same time, is to much for your battery to supply, or you're battery is flat.
Tell us the size of your battery (Amps) and the amps of your transfer pump.
Also how do you charge your battery and how often?

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:24:13 pm »

I agree with Jeff. you are either drawing too many amps or your battery needs more charging or isn't retaining it's charge long enough

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:52:32 pm »
i have a 110v leisure battery and i trickle charge it every 3 days or so. It is 2 years old but hasn't had that much use apart from running the sub pump. It would last 3-4 weeks sometimes before it would run out. I would then use jump leads from my trolley if i ran out on the job.
The sub pump i use is a "bilge pump yatch" and its amp is 4.2.
The clamps i use are brass from halfords and the wires from each were wrapped around a screw. It would run nothing when both connected but works fine with 1 connection.
I'm wondering if i'm better off having separate battery clamps and swapping the sub pump ones over as and when i need them.

poleman

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 11:58:33 pm »

Well I love my WFP so much I go to bed with it  :P ;D :-X

poleman

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
i have a 110v leisure battery and i trickle charge it every 3 days or so. It is 2 years old but hasn't had that much use apart from running the sub pump. It would last 3-4 weeks sometimes before it would run out. I would then use jump leads from my trolley if i ran out on the job.
The sub pump i use is a "bilge pump yatch" and its amp is 4.2.
The clamps i use are brass from halfords and the wires from each were wrapped around a screw. It would run nothing when both connected but works fine with 1 connection.
I'm wondering if i'm better off having separate battery clamps and swapping the sub pump ones over as and when i need them.
Mark, I assume you mean 110Ah not Volts  ;)
I see 2 problems that have happened to your battery? with a good 110Ah battery you should be able to run your 2 pumps (approx 8 amps) for approx 10 hours Continuous , the reason for your battery not being able to run both pumps at the same time is simple, Its knackard, its not going to be to long before it wont even run 1 pump. and the cause of this is? 1. constant deep discharging and 2. Lack of recharging.

Many Window Cleaners replace their lead-acid batteries every couple of seasons because they unknowingly kill them. Improper charging must rank as the number one cause of early battery death. With the right kind of battery, properly charged, you could get ten years of use, I know this for a fact my own leisure battery is now in its 9th year, 14 months of that as a wfp w/c.

When a battery is left in the discharged state, the lead sulfate slowly hardens and it becomes more difficult to charge and discharges more quickly. This in turn causes more lead-sulfate to form and the problem gets worse until the battery becomes useless. So the first tip to longer battery life is to fully charge the battery and to keep it charged.  Don't learn the hard way and keep the battery fully charged at all times.

A second reason for early battery death is deep discharges. The service life of most batteries is severely shortened if discharged below 50% of capacity. Some car-type start batteries can be destroyed by discharging them completely only three or four times! To prevent deep discharges you must match battery size to the expected load or re-charge more often. If you regularly discharge your batteries more than 10% of capacity, purchasing deep cycle batteries (leisure battery) will pay for itself very quickly.

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:36 pm »
Thanks andy.

I covered it last night fill my pipes with windscreen was and got up this morning NO FROST.

Always the way.

That link for the heater im going to get one of those.
But will have to be done from a seperate leisure battery as can't run the one for the pumps down.

Paul

mark dew

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 07:44:58 pm »
cheers jeff. i'll sort something out.