Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

CCTV for Guttering Work
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:54:13 pm »
Today I cashed some gift vouchers I had for Christmas and decided I wanted a wireless cctv system for my guttering work, I got myself twin colour cameras and a 2 way receiver + switcher kit, and then I got myself a 9'' colour flat screen TV to complete the kit.

I Set it up today and had a play around, I was able to see everything in the gutters from the ground. (boy mine need cleaning out )
The method in my madness is to see were any blockages are and maybe show the customer, it will also save me any time by not having to clean any side of a house that is already clean, I have had many properties were one side never even needed cleaning out, so time saved is more in my pocket.

I have seen a supplier selling cctv systems for guttering costing a 4 figure sum, ok mine doesn't have a video recorder, but for less than £100 I could buy a small video recorder if I want one?

Ok here is a rundown on the cost of mine
2 wireless colour cameras + 1, 2way receiver + switcher £99
1, 9'' flat screen TV with video input £69
Total cost £168
What a saving from a 4 figure sum and it does the same job, and in my own mind look very professional.

Anyone else with a cctv system for the work? And what are your thoughts on a cctv system looking professional? After all they stick them down drains, so why not use them for guttering work?

jonah

Re: CCTV for Guttering Work
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 07:59:28 pm »
If you are selling a franchise Im in  ;D

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:01:45 pm »
Jeff Brimble does I think, I dont do many gutters myself, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

jonah

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:06:07 pm »
Would be brilliant to show potential customer a view of there dirty gutters ! And you are going to clean that dirt out ! Think this is an untapped market  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:12:45 pm »
If you are selling a franchise Im in  ;D
Go to Argos and maplin and start your own franchise 8) ;D ;D

Jeff Brimble does I think, I dont do many gutters myself, Luke
Never heard Jeff mention anything about cctv, I didn't know he did guttering work?
Why don't you do guttering work Luke? good work for rainy days and good money.

Would be brilliant to show potential customer a view of there dirty gutters ! And you are going to clean that dirt out ! Think this is an untapped market ;D
Your right Jonah   ;D I do loads of guttering work for my regulars, but my plan was to show those custys who don't have it done, live pictures of there bunged up guttering, I think if they actually see the crud up there they may well go for a clean.
Has to be good for business. ;)

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 08:12:55 pm »
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:19:01 pm »
not untapped I'm affraid:
http://www.andwat.co.uk/acatalog/NEW_PRODUCT_RANGE_-_WFP_GUTTER_CLEANING_SYSTEM.html

£375 + the Vat ;D I have already made a saving of £207 on the gear and about another £60 on the Vat 8)

Buy it your self guys, just look at the savings  ;)

jonah

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 08:19:09 pm »
Meant doing the job ! If I was to market the idea I would offer an inspection of the gutters for £5 .  Then if they saw the condition of the said offending gutters would quote for the job .  Simple  ;D

jonah

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 08:30:30 pm »
We could with guys like you RWC  !

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 08:32:18 pm »
If its an existing customer and you are already there the £5 is ok (catching them in is another thing) But if not £20 minimum charge. Heres my basic reply to Jeff from another forum.

Did something similar Jeff went to maplins last summer and bought A baby alert col cam and 2.5" screen for £50 Burns batteries like crazy but does the job. Got the vac gear 1/2 sorted and have c/f poles and a "macerator"etc ready to go. During the process I found the fastest way to inspect most of the gutters is a big wing mirror on an adjustable elbow. Its very fast.

Then I changed my mind  
Decided to stick to wfping because its so much easier (lazy)and I know what I am doing.
Just lots of ideas on the back burner now.  
But Good Luck and Yes it does look  and will in time impress architects, punters and H&S guys. Try to get on your local council list, thats where the current money is, but it takes time to build any new business. I got zero response from a few local ads I placed.

ps I suspect most of the gutter guys will keep mum as they are doing very well.

jonah

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 08:41:38 pm »
ps I suspect most of the gutter guys will keep mum as they are doing very well. 

Enough said .

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 08:53:45 pm »
Never thought about the charge for inspection  8) Good idea guy's, ;)  the only time I'll waiver that is, if I approach an existing customer with the view of getting more work.
what else you have to think about is when you do an inspection weather they accept or not, you will always have another customer who knows what you offer and we all know how customers talk?

I could always add the inspection and clean on the back of my tickets I put through there doors?

Old_Master

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 09:05:56 pm »
It is very interesting and telling that some window cleaners feel our DVR systems are expensive.
We have a wide range of customers in many industries including national security for our patent pending camera units and not one has thought our units expensive, many small companies purchase several at a time!
For example Drain cleaning companies  buy them from us because they are less than a fifth of the price of the units they had previously bought, with the benifit that our units hold 150 hours of video which is downloadable to a pc from which DVDs can be burned and given to clients showing surveys and before and after works have been carried out.

*john garnett

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 09:19:03 pm »
Does it take 150 hours to do the vid?

Let's see, window cleaners @ £25 p/h, = equals = 150x£25 =MILLIONAIRE!
(£3750 to view gutters).

Old_Master

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 09:25:56 pm »
Hi John
The DVR unit will hold 150 hours of video so it can hold thousands of surveys and jobs  if wanted, or they can be downloaded as required.

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 09:31:39 pm »
It is very interesting and telling that some window cleaners feel our DVR systems are expensive.
We have a wide range of customers in many industries including national security for our patent pending camera units and not one has thought our units expensive, many small companies purchase several at a time!
For example Drain cleaning companies  buy them from us because they are less than a fifth of the price of the units they had previously bought, with the benifit that our units hold 150 hours of video which is downloadable to a pc from which DVDs can be burned and given to clients showing surveys and before and after works have been carried out.

I have seen your system Glyn and I must admit it is very impressive, I do feel its aimed at the bigger pro's maybe Omnipole could come up with a system for the smaller Pro outfits? or even the one man band like myself.

I didn't go a lot on the andwat recorder, if you read between the lines it does have a time date stamp recorder but then it goes onto say to show your customer the before and after shot of the Job, it doesn't give a good description of its specs, so you can't judge the recorder on it,
My own colour cctv cameras look very professional in a stainless steel housing, and is waterproof, not like some of the cheap cctv plastic housings you buy for internal use.

If I wanted too, I could add my own portable dvd recorder to my system and that cost me £120 so I'm still looking at a good little system for under £300.
This post is no way knocking any companies product, just at what can be purchased from our local high street stores for less than half the price.

*john garnett

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 09:49:12 pm »

This post is no way knocking any companies product, just at what can be purchased from our local high street stores for less than half the price.
Knock it, why not? They're only trying stuff out on you pal. They use you as a test pad after all. If its any good you'll say so or not and thats good for all of us - if its crap they will have to make it better, if its kosher then it'll sell.

Fair play to them and us.

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 10:03:40 pm »

Knock it, why not? They're only trying stuff out on you pal. They use you as a test pad after all. If its any good you'll say so or not and thats good for all of us - if its crap they will have to make it better, if its kosher then it'll sell.

Fair play to them and us.
The thing is John you can't knock there system, its a very professional system, it is reasonably priced for the specs and the specs are very high on the cctv and recorder system. http://www.omnipole.com/OmniVac%20and%20OmniCam.htm check yourself.

I do believe in saving every penny I can, and as a one man band, apart from the odd help the Boss gives me, I can't justify paying loads of money for something I can make myself for a whole lot less money.

I have never used omnipole for there products so who am I to knock them, but If they could produce systems with good specs for one man bands, then I'm sure there sales would also increase, I have looked through there web-site and everything I have read, seems to have very good specs.
I would love to try some of there gear but thats for another day, and then you will get my honest opinion.

matt

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 10:42:54 pm »
a belive andy has sorted something out with a camera, he was over on the DIY site asking about a pole for it

Old_Master

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 11:44:47 pm »
Hi Jeff
We have actually upgraded the specification now it can be seen on
http://www.omni-guttervac.com/guttervac_system.html
In fact we have upgraded again since this new site was put up to minimum of 30gb hard drive DVR.
I agree what you are saying with regard to building a more inexpensive unit and I am constantly looking at these issues.  I am trialing  a 2GB unit with a fixed camera at the moment which would be very suitable for smaller operations.

Our complete camera system is £800.00 which based on the very high specification is I believe very resonably priced.

Others may disagree with the above but I have been interested in cameras for many years and built my very first pole system for low level aerial photography and have spent thousands of pounds on Rollieflex's, Leica's, Nikons.
A pro photographer could buy a very decent camera for a few hundred pounds so why do they choose a Nikon costing £3,000.00 to £5000.00