Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Gregory

how low do you go
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:34:58 pm »
Over the last couple of week's I have lost several commercial jobs on price . I,ve got another quote to do on Monday 2500 square foot approx, I'm preety much on my arse at the moment and I really need the work . I get most of me domestic quotes its just the commercial I struggle with , What is a fair price for this sort of work

John

garyj

Re: how low do you go
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:41:35 pm »
I know quite a few will disagree with me on this but on the whole commercial customers don't expect as good a job as domestic customers do. When you are set up and running they are also easier as a lot of space is taken up with desks, pcs filing cabinets etc.

Have a think about how long it will take you and price from there!!!
There is no point going in really high and then having no work. If they have a contact cleaning company on site they will also be quoting, and although they won't do as good a job as you they will probably get the work on price.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 04:42:07 pm »
Go in at your normal rate and then a cheaper price for payment on completition, you will surprised at what comes of it but don't look desperate just say at this time of year it is better to get quick payment as you can get better prices on cleaning solutions.

Shaun

lands

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 04:46:17 pm »
John

Thats a good question and one that I'm sure will never go away. I charge £1.50 sq M (that would make your quote £375) and I think it's competitive but I lose many for same reason.

I guess if someone is using a rotary system they can afford to do it for that. I met a guy on a stain removal course at Amtech who charged 85p a SQ M but he had low paid employees pushing scrubbers up and down large offices so he was making a tidy profit as this method is much less time consuming than the usual HWE.

Might be worth discussing with these customers the different methods availble but selling the merits of yours (presumably HWE) so that they can weigh up cost to value

You coming to CCDO?

Pete

lands

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 04:47:20 pm »
Go in at your normal rate and then a cheaper price for payment on completition, you will surprised at what comes of it but don't look desperate just say at this time of year it is better to get quick payment as you can get better prices on cleaning solutions.

Shaun

Thats a good idea Shaun, I think I'll use that too.

John Gregory

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 04:51:43 pm »
I was thinking about £2 a sq m thats useing truckmount then going over with a bonnet

John

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 04:54:13 pm »
John phone a couple of your local competitors and give them the info ( sq footage,profile etc) and push them for a price on the phone,say your boss has asked you to get 3 phone quotes asap.You will then be in a better position to quote.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

John Gregory

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 05:03:52 pm »
John phone a couple of your local competitors and give them the info ( sq footage,profile etc) and push them for a price on the phone,say your boss has asked you to get 3 phone quotes asap.You will then be in a better position to quote.

Paul , I know what you are saying mate but the pricing is so varied around here , I cleaned a community centre a couple of weeks ago I quoted 25 sq f and got the job £190 , speaking to the manager the nearist quote to mine was £600 its mad

John

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 05:06:17 pm »
John  thats why you need to phone 3 up. That way you will get an idea of what the guys around you are likely to charge.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 10:04:42 pm »
I,ve got another quote to do on Monday 2500 square foot approx,

Thanks to furniture the actual available area to be cleaned can be reduced by 30 - 50% sometimes even more. Price on that basis.

I would use a rotary and as said before the standards don't have to be as high as domestics. Anywhere between £1 and £1.50 m/s should get you a shouting chance.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 11:21:06 pm »
Hi do you charge less for commercial ??? I havn't done a lot of commercial jobs to date 2 pubs 1 also booked to do before easter 1 restaurant and 4 offices I JUST CHARGE SAME 35p sq ft all my other work has been domestic why should we charge less for commercial work??

CHEERS TONY
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:54:43 pm »
I cleaned a flat last week, preparing the floors for recovering, there was one carpet worth cleaning, but this never went ahead as the entire flat was being re carpeted with a hard wearing non impervious carpet at only £4.99 per square metre, which is about 50p per square foot.

rob

Jason Hedges

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 01:10:36 am »
Hi John,

Go in at your normal price but add you've had a large contract messing you about. Ask them to give you a call when all the quotes are in and you might be able to beat the best price because of spare time to fill.

If they do you can hopefully arrange a price to get the job. Sometimes the lowest quote is ridiculous so not worth trying to compete with.

Just a thought. Works for me (sometimes) ;).

All the best,
Jason.

Mike Roper

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »
Surely theres commercial and theres commercial- low profile office carpet is a far cry from pub/club carpet.
If you use a LM system you should be able to do office stuff for £1.20 sq/m and do alright but you would want double that for pub/clubs and have to use extraction .
Mike

M.Acorn

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 10:15:41 am »
I found i was losing a lot of com jobs through going in too low and offering a discount.It comes out of their tax bill at the end of the day so it`s not like they are paying for it.Since i have stopped knocking money off i have found that i am getting more of the big ones i usually charge £2.75 p/sq m for the bog standard low pro office carpets using h/w/e method.
What goes around comes around