Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

Re: Under selling yourself
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 04:21:53 pm »
BRILLIANT Mike  ;D
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

spickandspan

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 07:20:54 pm »
I rest my case............
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 07:42:43 pm »

Skilled or not skilled its flipping hard work !

I think £100 an hour is sensible in this day and age  8)

Not saying i get it, but i will try  ;)

steve

spencer davies

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 08:16:06 pm »
If dressing up is the valuing our business, then yes..... it earns considerably more than not.

Case rested.   ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2008, 08:28:06 pm »
Most labour intensive jobs aren't rocket science, the bit of grey cell that you use is the etiquette that comes with the job, you don't just stride in and wet and suck do you?

There's the looking smart meet and greet, saying the right things, not knocking the ming vase over on your way in etc and that's before you start to clean.

Don't forget about the many hats you have to wear if you are a 1 man band.

On the other foot what education do you have to have to become a share trader? well officially none but I bet that the title does get more respect for a job based on a hunch!

My favourite saying is "life's what you make it", the worst solicitor in town requires a high education but where's he gonna get you? you may as well represent yourself as an unqualified carpet cleaner.

Shaun

PS who is the most generally educated on here anyway?

lands

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 08:42:19 pm »
I got a B in A level law :o

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2008, 08:50:34 pm »
Can I have a 'P' please Bob?

Shaun

carpet guy

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 09:00:18 pm »
 ???

lands

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2008, 09:07:54 pm »
Can I have a 'P' please Bob?

Shaun

My names Pete and no you can't

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 09:13:47 pm »
Pete have sent you email.

CHEERS TONY

lands

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 09:49:46 pm »
Answer is yes Tony. Outbox is not working so will email you tomorrow with details

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 09:54:07 pm »
BRILLIANT cheers Pete

spickandspan

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2008, 04:02:05 pm »
Brilliant Shaun
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

turneylogan

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2008, 09:08:07 am »
Its all about demand and supply. People will pay more for goods and services which they need and are in short supply. That's why plumbers can charge as much, if not more, than solicitors.

If you do a good job and respect the customers property you can charge more than a poor carpet cleaner. Your location will also have a bearing on this. Wealthier areas, such as London areas expect to pay more.

I was a financial adviser (salesman basically) for 23 years and decided to get out of the rat race by setting up a cleaning company and getting involved in carpet cleaning.

I can quite honestly say that I find carpet cleaning far more rewarding than selling because you provide a service which people actually want. The only downside is finding a regular flow of customers, but compare that against the ever increasing pressures of targets and living in the land of 'No!'

The trouble is that some customers don't realise the skill involved in cleaning a carpet and the pitfalls. That's why I bore them with the process, so that they realise that if they go for a cheaper alternative they may run the risk of a poor job or worse.

The main difference between this occupation and my previous one is that the former was extremely heavily regulated and this one isn't, and so in terms of quality of service you get variety of providers. Therefore it is up to us to inform customers of the skills required and if enough of us do that for long enough, eventuallly we will be seen as a skilled service.

carpet guy

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2008, 08:01:56 pm »
Betterclean,

I have to say the following ; -

Since I first got involved in this business, about twenty four years ago, the same comments about low priced advertising, trying to educate customers, selling the sizzle, big is better, etc, have always been there and always will be, only the names change.

Your comment about plumbers is ironic, when you consider some of the postings on here, most plumbers would love to get the money some carpet cleaners are getting off with charging and there's certainly no shortage of carpet cleaners around.

rob

my final post on this thread

ONuallain

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2008, 10:37:30 pm »
Spickandspan says " it just scares me sometimes how much some people charge  i fear for our industry sometimes, it not as though its brain surgery is it and i know we have to buy all our equipment and i know we pay for training and i know we have to run our vans etc etc etc but its semi skilled work at the end of the day. I am not pulling our industry down have been doing it for 17 year but some times i look how much some guys charge it makes my hair stand on end."

Carpet Doctor says "I think £100 an hour is sensible in this day and age. Not saying i get it, but i will try"

These attitudes and mindsets show exactly why our industry is often undervalued and underpaid by the public. But it explains why so many carpet cleaners struggle whilst others flourish commercially, financially and personally.

Let me explain.

I'm a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner. I run a 1.5 man band! I live in West Devon, one of the lowest earning parts of the country.

The average earnings for those actually working within the West Devon district was only £13,500 in 2006 (figure from West Devon Borough Council published statistics)

And I charge a minimum £250 per day for my services and regularly get up to £400+ in a day! And I don't run a truck mount. I aim for an average £300+ a day.  And I

Why do I charge a minimum £250 per day and get it?

Well, for starters, I have calculated my costs for the year and divide it by 48 to get an average weekly cost. I divide by 48 as I take 4 weeks holiday a year, - (I need it!)

My costs include the following: Vehicle finance cost, vehicle depreciation, diesel, road tax, vehicle repair and service, tyre replacement, vehicle insurance, finance for quality equipment, equipment depreciation, equipment servicing, cost of quality chemicals, business insurance ( including employee & public liability & treatment risk), regular training, cost of travel to training, cost of B & B whilst at training, cost of travel to other trade events, seminars and exhibitions,, cost of NCCA membership, cost of IICRC certification, finance of laptop/printer, cost of software, cost of printer consumables, depreciation of laptop/printer, cost of business stationary, cost of telephone rental & calls, cost of mobile telephone & calls, yellow pages advert costs, local press advert costs, several parish magazine advert costs, leaflet printing and distribution costs, postage costs, rental of very small premises for storage and rug cleaning, .... and more.

Once I know my TRUE weekly costs I can easily calculate how much it costs to run my business each day before I clean my first carpet or chair.

Workers earning £13500 pa cannot afford to pay me my desired renumeration for cleaning their carpets, i.e. £250 minimum per day.

So I simply target all of my marketing efforts at higher net worth individuals (professional and wealthier retired people) and businesses.  Those who can afford to pay me what I want! Location has very little to do with it. 

These target customers will have spent many thousands of pounds purchasing their soft furnishings and most of them do not mind paying good money for regular professional cleaning.

In return I provide superb, superior cleaning on every job.  And I get very satisfied repeat customers who are usually more than happy to give me glowing testimonials and recommend my services to their friends and neighbours. It's a win-win situation for both me and my customers. They see true VALUE in my services.

Customers often tell me that their previous cleaner only charged about £100 a day but provided barely adequate cleaning.  This doesn't surprise me as I know that by having costed my services correctly, it would be impossible for me to provide first rate cleaning for £100 per day without going bust.

But believe me, I NEVER undersell myself and I clean on average 4.5 days per week, 48 weeks of the year!   And there are many others doing a lot better than me!

So for those of you who find it difficult to achieve more than £100 - £150 per day on a regular basis , I'd say you are lacking in one or several of the following,

a) Basic business skills
b) Cleaning skills
c) People skills
d) Common sense.

Two of these can be learned.

So please stop knocking those businessmen cleaners who are showing honest profit by understanding their costs and supplying good value for good money.

But I suppose if one doesn't understand all this after 17 years in this business, one never will.

NCCA
IICRC

carpet guy

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2008, 12:03:32 am »
Sean

You are talking rubbish..............you work for £250 a day. Strange to sell yourself on a daily rate. Anyway, if S and S is in the middle charge range, he will be earning more than you and C D will be miles ahead of you in terms of what they earn per hour.

Some people are perfectly happy with £45 - £70 an hour for what's essentially semi skilled work, after all, it's probably 5-7 times what they previously earned and they can work the hours that suit them.

Also, many others have done many courses, but don't feel the need to wear the badges and they may use the best products and chemicals.

The assumption that those who follow a regime of ............audits / laptop presentations, etc, are better is non sense, they are only satisfying their own egos and adding time to the job unnecessarily which is BAD business practice.

I honestly believe that the people who charge in the middle range and work hard will earn more than those who charge at the top end, sure they will work harder, or longer, but that's the way they like it, they can still take time off when they want and will build a larger client base, so will require less marketing expense and effort, as they will get more referrals each year.

The cost of running a c/c business is minimal, compared to any other business I've been involved in, there is no need for an office, or the usual paraphenalia that goes with it.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2008, 06:58:19 am »
Thought you had made your FINAL post on this thread Rob ha! ha! ha!  I think this guy has some very valid points.

CHEERS TONY 

Ian Rochester

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2008, 07:44:50 am »
Quote from me earlier:

I have had one of my new technicians out today cleaning some carpets, 2 bed house, £180 +vat.  The next door neighbour asks him for a price to do the lounge and hall of his house, he quotes him £100 + vat.  Chap's as happy as larry and we've got it booked in for the 29th Feb. 

If I'd quoted it would have been about £60 +vat.

He's just rung me this morning and cancelled, found someone who will do it for basically half the price (and it's a local franchaisee!!) 

Therefore I can deduce that we are obviously not underselling ourselves, merely competing with the local competition!