Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bennie25

Re: Under selling yourself
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 07:58:10 pm »
Have to dissagree Spic, I consider my work skilled.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 08:01:51 pm »
I wish there was some national price for carpet and upholstery cleaning, window cleaning etc (and I wish it was Dave L's price).  

If you go to your local supermarket you know roughly that the price of milk will be the same throughout the country.

I have had one of my new technicians out today cleaning some carpets, 2 bed house, £180 +vat.  The next door neighbour asks him for a price to do the lounge and hall of his house, he quotes him £100 + vat.  Chap's as happy as larry and we've got it booked in for the 29th Feb.  

If I'd quoted it would have been about £60 +vat.

However, had another last week, two bedrooms, quoted £68 +vat, the woman near dropped down dead in front of me,

"I can't afford that, the last cleaner only charged me £30!"

You can't win!!!

As long as we get repeat business and recommendations I'm happy, once that stops I know we are getting too expensive, we never lose anyone on the quality of the job.

spickandspan

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 08:07:48 pm »
No bennie not skilled at all.
Also Lionheart pricing is the hardest thing to get right i always ask myself what would i pay and its always worked for me.
I went to price a three piece and one guy wanted £210 he did have a truck mount, laptop, free c/d to give away and all the woffle, sorry not for me.
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

lands

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 08:12:48 pm »
I guess the skilled bit depends on who you are talking to.

I consider myself to be semi-skilled but would consider many on here to hold and use more knowledge than an average plumber yet that is considered a skilled trade even a brickie is a skilled trade and there is more to CCing (when you include stain removal etc) than that.

spickandspan

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 08:24:11 pm »
Skilled i mean having to be trained like a 5 year apprentice, carpet cleaning well anybody can do it just pop into any supermarket and hire one buy a vax.
And before you say yes but it will not be done correctly, BUT it will if you keep doing it then you become experianced.......... but not skilled.

carpet guy

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 11:31:37 pm »
It's an unfortunate fact, that this is not skilled work and never will be until it becomes regulated by examination and monitored.................at that point, you will get more uniformity, but it might be a few years yet.

I can only compare the Skill Factor in other industries to determine the level of skill required to clean carpets and my working life has included a number of disciplines which required far more essential learning and training than c/c, which, like most people I simply learned from experience and guesswork, whereas in my previous lives I trained and studied and was constantly tested, in one job I even had to go to night school to add a couple of A level grades to my academic qualifications.

rob

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 11:39:55 pm »
SKILLED expertness / expet knowledge a craft accomplishment / eg. a complex movment or action carried out with facility as a result of PRACTICE so yes SKILLED!!!! look it up in your dick sorry DICTIONARY ;D ;D ;D ;D at the end of the day it comes down to what you are happy working for be it 10p or £10 an hour /  day /  per sq foot or per meter and if the customer is happy with what you want. UNDER SELLING YOURSELF no not if your HAPPY

CHEERS TONY
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 12:12:26 am »
Damned if I can figure out what that was all about Tony. 

Pete I reckon any Plumber or Brickie could be shown how to operate a carpet cleaning machine in a few minutes and do a reasonable or decent job right away.......................I have attempted plumbing and brickwork with very poor results.

The degree of accuracy required and the problem solving necessary to carry out Tradesmens work is much higher than most appreciate.

rob

Derek_Walker

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 02:53:19 am »
Carpet cleaning is a skill and it is not something you can learn overnight. Yes you may be able to operate the equipment in a very short time but that is not what gets you results. Knowing your fibres, the different cleaning agents, the different technical abilities and systems, the many problem stains, the upholstery cleaning, speciality rugs, curtains, the skills involved in running a day to day business, marketing, people skills, maintaining your equipment, leather cleaning and repairs, the list is endless, these are the things that make this a skilled business to be in. I could certainly be able to fix a tap washer or bend a pipe or lay a brick on top of another one in next to no time. This is why you should not undersell yourselves.

sherco

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 08:57:59 am »
I definitely think carpet cleaning is a skilled job, i have just done the hard floor and carpet cleaning course at prochem, i couldn't believe how much there is involved to do the job properly. I'm a tiler walls and floors etc,  its the same in this trade anybody can buy a few tools and start tiling somebodies bathroom, conservatory without any training, but put a geometric Victorian floor in front of them and watch them mess it up, you only learn this by being skilled, and its the same cleaning carpets, so many different things to check...So anybody who says this is not a skilled job shouldnt be doing it.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008, 09:38:54 am »
ROB you been drinking i thought i was late going on forum  ;D ;D ;D

carpet guy

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2008, 10:31:19 am »
Sherco

You're probably right, but the skill required to clean carpets is minimal, compared to tiling or any building, or other  trades.................we're talking about practical skills here, not working out with accuracy, levels, measurements, maths, all of which are necessary in leaning trades.

The operation of removing soiling from fibres and textiles is minimal compared to anything involved in general trades.

Sure, if you want to use exactly the right product ( as claimed by manufacturers ) you need some additional guidance, but again, you could just read the label !

You will be blinded by science, or the apparently essential products for specific jobs, or you can find a couple of products which will stand you in good stead, 99% of the time .

If you want to show off to clients by displaying a van with racks full of stuff you'll never use and which cost a considerable sum, you can fill your van, but you will only impress yourself, weigh down the van and lighten your pocket.

As a tiler do you survey a job, assemble the essential products with a little extra and take what you need to that job, or do you fill your van with sand, mortar mix, bonding, expanding filler, grout, skrim cloth, brushes, etc, just in case.

An experienced tradesman / craftsman / engineer / whatever, can attain a result with a basic kit of items / products which they have learned to get the maximum return from, carpet cleaning is the same.

But, as you say, with my thinking, I should probably never been cleaning carpets and upholstery for the past twenty four years, but why do people keep phoning me and giving my number out to their friends and relatives..................

Cleaning carpets can be hard physically, but it hardly stimulates the brain cells.

rob

spickandspan

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:15 am »
Well said Rob.
Semi-skilled yes skilled no you can dress it up how you want it but not recognised as skilled.......no way.
As you do this job more you pick up experience like most thing eg when you start carpet cleaning you always vac the carpet later on you dont because with experience you know that it does not need it.We would all like to think its skilled but we dont have any paper work to back it up, and dont say you you have been on a course and got a certificate or certificates as you have bought those when you payed for course.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 12:13:45 pm »
THINK YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE DEFINITION OF SKILLED  8) 8) 8) 8)  But i thought this was all about under selling yourself???

CHEERS TONY

spencer davies

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 12:53:25 pm »
Not been on for a while, Gary J, yes we have been VAT registered for about 15 years.

S

spencer davies

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 01:10:16 pm »
Regarding the skilled comments, carpet & upholstery cleaning does require a level of skill and consistency and if you run your business simply to provide an income, one man and a van, (nothing wrong with that) the skill level required is less than if you are hoping to step back and manage your activities as a business.

The example being:

Dealing with PAYE
Collecting VAT
Employment issues
Pricing large areas 10,000 sq ft +
Legal issues, bad debtors etc
Finance management
Method statements
Risk Assessments
Website development and marketing.

All of the above consume large quantity of time and will often determine whether you make good profits. My point is, the activity of carpet and upholstery cleaning is  not simply restricted to physical skills and abilities.

Regards

S

carpet guy

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 02:59:02 pm »
I think the skill factor as mentioned is aimed purely at the physical side of cleaning, if you consider the business sense and abilities to run a business, that's a completely different ball game and one which I'm comfortable with, but is alien to most.

Incidentally Tony

I don't drink !

rob

spickandspan

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2008, 03:23:32 pm »
Yes Spencer you do need skills to run a business like you said buy thats is not what we are saying, we are saying that carpet cleaning is not a skilled job, semi skilled yes.
I know as i am in the same boat it would be very nice to dress it up as skilled....and yes i know you do assemble much knowledge as you do more work i have been doing it for years now but i dont dress it up as skilled, if you guys want to pat yourselfs on your backs thinking its  skilled well dream on.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 03:58:27 pm »
What a very NEGATIVE ATTITUDE some people have i just don't understand.
PLEASE look in your dictionary at definition of SKILLED :-\ :-\ :-\

CHEERS TONY

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 04:06:10 pm »
I am only a carpet cleaner please pay me what I'm worth which isn't very much.

;D