Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lands

Under selling yourself
« on: February 16, 2008, 10:40:11 am »
As if to completely back up Dave Liahona's philosophy towards pricing

Went to price a job at a decent sized (but logistically simple) 5 bed house yesterday. I quoted £297. Customer came back saying it was a bit steep as another had quoted £150 over phone and whilst he had no intetion of using other guy at that price could I meet him at £300 as obviously the VAT will take it up to £330. I'm not VAT reg'd.

I am coming to learn that the higher up you get in the domestice range the price issue reverses on itself. Thought I'd share that.

Pete

spickandspan

Re: Under selling yourself
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:45:24 pm »
Sorry guys but i could not do that, i must be to honest???
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

lands

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »
Hows that dishonest???????????????/ :o

spickandspan

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:14:40 pm »
Well for a start saying you VAT registered and you are not.

garyj

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 01:23:02 pm »
I think I'm good at gauging customers ( I would though wouldn't I  ;) ), I quoted a sofa over the phone at £130.00 after a lengthy chat only to be told I was too cheap, she had just been quoted £200 by someone else ( must have been Dave L   :)), then quoted a 5 bedroom house, it was gorgeous but they had two young kids and hold parties regularly, 2 downstairs carpets were trashed. Quoted £280 and she was shocked, she thought it would be about a hundred quid  :o.

Doing lounge, office, playroom and stairs for £140, wouldn''t take much more than an hour to do upstairs while I'm there  :(. My prices INCLUDE VAT as well  :( :(. Oh well, it will keep me occupied for a few hours.

garyj

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 01:32:19 pm »
The chap has just presumed Pete is VAT registered by doing a quick calculation in his head, most people think it doesn't take long to clean the carpets. The chap has also presumed Pete does one of these a day minimum, therefore 300 quid = £1500 a week and so he must be VAT reg.

The price I quote domestic customers includes VAT, the price for commercial doesn't, I add it on the invoice. I think it's unfair to quote to a domestic client a price and then add 17.5% at the end of the job, private customers expect to pay what they are quoted.

My average price ticket is now about £120, when I was doing this a couple of years ago it was £80, sounds good but very very few have paid cash at this price, most pay cheque or use credit cards, at 80 quid most paid cash.

spickandspan

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 01:33:34 pm »
Still thats not a bad price Gary eh??? cant complain say £30 per hour can you

spencer davies

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 01:36:09 pm »
I would   ;)

S

garyj

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 01:47:26 pm »
Are you VAT registered Spencer?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 02:03:13 pm »
If its £297 it would have been aprox £350 with VAT

bit of a givaway that you are not VaT registered if you agreed with the bloke it would be £330 with VAT

You just gave him another £20

Plus you conspired to defruad the government ;D ;D ;D ;D

garyj

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 02:34:08 pm »
That's an unfair assumption Ian.

Bad luck Pete, youre in the firing line for for an off the cuff comment that meant no harm.

I know what you meant.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:18:24 pm »
I agree with Gary J, Pete never said that the price would be plus vat he gave him a price and that was that, the customer on the other hand presumed it was plus vat and tried to forge a deal which in this case has put Pete £3 the better.

Keeping your mouth shut can work in your favour, an old mentor I used to read of used to say let the customer do the talking and he was right.

Shaun

PS should get it done in an hour ;D

lands

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 03:40:27 pm »
Well for a start saying you VAT registered and you are not.

Read the post properly. I did not tell him I was Vat reg'd, he just assumed it. This quote was done by email as were his comments. I would never do that, I'm no crook

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 03:59:21 pm »
Don't forget you win some and you lose some! you have to be big enough to say to yourself that the lost customer has gone and move onto the next.

Shaun

lands

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 04:07:49 pm »
Just to add, I had already replied telling him I was not vat reg'd and that it would only be £297. My survey forms are quite clear and simple and like Gary says, he probably thinks I do that amount daily which would send me way over threshold (I wish I did).

Spic my last post was a bit short for which I apologise. You made an assumption from what I had written which was incorrect, have done it myself before so no big deal I was just trying to highlight that with certain customers cheap can be off putting.

Pete

Joe H

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 05:03:49 pm »
I understood you Pete, obviously the customer did'nt.
The fact you were £3 better off is neither here nor there.
I get your point that cheap can be off putting to certain customers

I did a job yesterday that "grew" when I got there from what she wanted over the phone, and I didnt quote anything over the phone.
I gave a price before starting, cringing inside, she didnt bat an eyelid.

*paul_moss

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 05:09:52 pm »
Pete I often get asked " does that include VAT", I always just say that is the total price including every thing.

So I would have said to that customer, Actually the price I quoted you of £297 is total price you will pay, when would you like it done :)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

spickandspan

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »
No problem Pete, it just scares me sometimes how much some people charge  i fear for our industry sometimes, it not as though its brain surgery is it and i know we have to buy all our equipment and i know we pay for training and i know we have to run our vans etc etc etc but its semi skilled work at the end of the day.
I am not pulling our industry down have been doing it for 17 year but some times i look how much some guys charge it makes my hair stand on end.

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 07:37:17 pm »
Don't beat yourself up. You could be selling 3rd world loans at 1000% interest or mortgages to the US underclass. Take the commission and let the UK taxpayer pick up the tab.

ps I would reduce my prices if I thought I'd make more money overall.

lands

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 07:51:49 pm »
I agree Spic. There is a guy not far from me that charges 49p sq ft and he bonnets everything (inc. nearly all domestic). The price that i gave that customer was based on 22p. Tis a big house and I will be there all day. The lounge is 42sqm alone