Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Kev R

Phone Quotes
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:17:26 pm »
Does anybody quote over the phone?

I have just had a lady phone from London. She has a holiday home very near where I live. She was insistent on having a phone quote.

She could answer all the questions I asked about the carpets and the condition and the exact dimensions. I decided to give an estimate explaining that if anything was different I would charge accordingly.  She seemed happy with that. Said she would talk to the husband and if he was in agreement post the key to me.

I have never done this before and now Im worrying... Should I be concerned or is this the norm for some of you?

Thanks

Kev

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Phone Quotes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:29:06 pm »
Why worry?

If you get there and her dimensions are wrong or it's not to your liking then you charge accordingly or walk, just make sure you arrange payment before you do any work.

Shaun

Dennis

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:56:28 pm »
You will have the key to her property, she is in London, does not know you from Adam and you´re worrying.  ;D

Kev R

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:00:40 pm »
You will have the key to her property, she is in London, does not know you from Adam and you´re worrying.  ;D

A very good point.... good job Im honest  ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:36 pm »
Hi Guys

Kev, I do 95% of my quotes over the phone, in fact I prefer it , much quicker and you both get an idea of whether you are in the right area price wise.

Cheers

Doug

Kev Loomes

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:12:58 pm »
Dont hold your breath Kev, I doubt that she will be calling back ::) - unless your your the cheapest by far of course. Sounds like a clear case of her shopping around looking for the least expensive.

Just being honest.

Kev

p.s the key thing does sound dodgy.

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »
Estimates over the phone

Quotes on a visit and survey

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:41:01 pm »
Quotes LEGALLY binding ESTIMATES what they say estimates not legally binding. ;D ;D

TONY
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Steve Chapman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 11:30:06 pm »
if the customer wants an idea of cost then i normally say it will be between x and y but will quote properly when i see the job, most are happy with that, as it's natural for most to want to get an idea of the approximate cost.

I remember one guy saying "well how many hundreds are we talking about?"
and it made me realize that not all are being penny pinching they just want a figure in their head so  they know what they are dealing with.

I think all of us are the same when we are getting quotes for jobs, it's human nature to talk about money and what the cost is going to be, even if we have pots of money.

regards
steve

lands

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 08:01:06 am »
Steve makes a good point there. Many have never had it done before so have no idea.

from edge2edge

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 08:12:18 am »
Kev sounds like you will have a squat to let out cheap soon then.

ianharper

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 08:35:58 am »
kev

never give a price over phone unless they give you contact details that way it a far exchange. and if they get back then you can put them on your mailing list.

you might think that its a waste of time but you have more than one service to sell so if you get the carpets you might get the rugs or sofa.

btw always send them a gift ( we send spotter) and a presentation folder outlining all your other services.

respect

ian harper

bennymon

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 08:52:06 am »
if they say i will ask my husband 99% of the time it was to expensive for them  so you probably wont get the keys  :(

spickandspan

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 09:13:08 pm »
95% over the phone no problem and i get most of them to.
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 09:15:15 pm »
Only if your cheap enough.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 09:17:41 pm »
New customers over the phone I get 6-7 out of 10, old customers and recommends usually 95-99% occassionally you get one that doesn't book as they have seen a leaflet with some pricing on it from another company.

Shaun

Gerry Styles

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 09:38:14 pm »
I find those giving the exact dimensions are usually fishing, dont get a lot of return calls. Those that ask for prices for bedroom, lounge etc usually book straight away
Premier Klean Limited

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 09:42:31 pm »
Depends on what price you give them, not everyone wants the cheapest some get 3 quotes and choose the middle one, it's how you sell it what makes the difference and that is why hopefully when I go to the CCDO I get to learn more.

Shaun

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 09:53:38 pm »
I find over the phone i get 75 to 85% going out to see them about 95% but what i do find when is if i go to see them is i can usually talk them into having more work done so it works out better.

CHEERS TONY
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 09:58:17 pm »
Spot on Tony I agree, if you can make the effort it's worth it but sometimes the jobs can be too far to go and quote and then go back and clean a week later.

Shaun