Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jamie Wiles

Starting Over......
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:34:06 am »
Hello guys,
I don't know how many of you remember me but about three years ago I started up a CC business after being made redundant from an office job. Things seemed to be going reaonably well for a while and I was starting to get regular work coming in but then the business seemed to just die. Phone just suddenly stopped ringing and I can't really explain why as I didn't stop spending time and money on my marketing efforts and I NEVER had a complaint about my work. Anyway this 'quiet patch' ended up putting me out of business around about the summer of 2006. I have since gone back to working in an office job, but for some reason didn't sell off my equipment or switch off the phone.
Over the last few months I have been getting the occasional call about carpet cleaning work, which I haven't turned away as quite frankly I am greatful for the extra income. But doing this work has made me realise that I really want to give it another go.
Now I'm not stupid and I know that I can't just quit my job as I have a family and a large mortgage, but I would like to initially get to a point where I have a steady flow of around 1 or 2 domestic jobs a week to supplement my current income, then maybe look at taking it further once I'm at that point.
I suppose then what I am asking is, could any of you very helpful lads and ladies possibly give me some marketing pointers so that I can get to where I need to be (1 or 2 jobs a week) without spending an absolute fortune.
Any help that anyone could give me would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks
J
J

Kev Loomes

Re: Starting Over......
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:47:25 am »
Jamie

Helpful tip: If you change your e mail status to show it instead of hidden, you may get a reply.

Cheers

Kev

Jamie Wiles

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:54:07 am »
Ok thanks, I've done that. I usually hide it to prevent webcrawlers picking it up and bombarding me with spam...
J

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:21:44 am »
Many years ago when I was doing a bit of door to door selling I remember someone saying this..

when householder comes to door even if you say "I dont suppose you would be interested in having (house alarm, double glazing, CARPETS CLEANED), 1 in 100 would say "yes, just the person I am looking for".

If that statement is true the it is as good a conversion rate (or better) then leaflet drops without the expense.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:03:20 pm »
Joe

I know you have more experience than me at door knocking but in alarms Windows etc one in a hundread is good unless you use tricks like a house full of windows for free and rep wonders what the customer is talking about when he gets there.

No I used to get 1 in 300

Got pretty hot during the Summer and frozen in the winter

KEEP ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Head Up

Next No is one more to YES   ;D ;D ;D

WHEN i was recruited to earn OTE 100K i WAS TOLD ONE IN TEN agreed to an apointment and one in 3 apointments converted to a sale

So I only need to knock 30 houses to earn £300

Funny thing was I went to Monday Sales Meeting and everybody apart from me was reporting these statistics.

I was told go out try harder.

I eventually found out they were being given Hot LEADS

THE ENTIRE DIRECT SALES INDUSTRY IS A LOAD OF CON MERCHANTS

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 05:27:48 pm »
Difference now, Ian, with my door knocking, is that whilst the conversion rate is very much less, it is vastly more enjoyable - hot or cold weather.  :D

dan roberts

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:04:43 pm »
Hi,

I am just about to drop 10,000 leaflets, double sided glossy number, any idea on what response that should bring?

Dan
Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.

spencer davies

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:11:52 pm »
Get a decent website designed and spend your free time creating links and registering it with free directories.

We don't need to waste large sums of money on Yellow Pages and Thomson Local.

Regards

S

Dave_Lee

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 09:12:26 pm »
Dan,
10 i.e. .001% initial response provided its not a crap leaflet, however I think you would be better leaving it until the end of Feb.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:30 pm »
Unless you are deadly serious about going full time at carpet cleaning i think you should put the thought out of your head. At the end of the day you are already earning a living and want to do carpet cleaning as a "bit of extra cash" what you should think about is all the serious carpet cleaners out there who do this for thier bread and butter. That bit of beer money could be costing somebody else a meal, perhaps not not quite that drastic but you get my gist.

Cheers Goron

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 10:07:51 pm »
At the end of the day you are already earning a living and want to do carpet cleaning as a "bit of extra cash" what you should think about is all the serious carpet cleaners out there who do this for thier bread and butter. That bit of beer money could be costing somebody else a meal, perhaps not not quite that drastic but you get my gist.

Cheers Goron

You are joking right?

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 10:55:04 pm »
So what you are saying is he shouldn't start his business up because he will do someone else out of a meal?

And especially if it's just for beer money? LOL ;D

I think I will write to all the carpet cleaners in my area and ask them to lay off a little as this month it's been very quiet lately. ;)

Dave Roelants

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 11:03:51 pm »
Relax Goron, He's in Essex he won't be a threat to you ;D
Best Regards, Dave,
Lakeland Carpet Cleaning, 1st in the UK with 4 to the door!

spencer davies

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 11:05:04 pm »
If someone isn't totally committed, the chances are that they will not have treatments risk insurance & training, I don't want to pre-judge, but if you are only attempting to start a business 'on the side' then the potential customer is at risk.

I can see where Goran is coming from, I had a customer cancel us a couple of weeks ago because she had found someone to 'do' her suite for £40, who also did her gardening, the above mentioned situation did apply in this case, the guy had no idea regarding pricing.

We are fortunate to have many customers, so for us it wasn't a problem, but he could have taken the business from someone that had just invested everything in a new business venture.

Regards

S

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 11:09:05 pm »
Not all cheapos do substandard work but chances are they only clean in 1 way that's to blast it and also they are never insured but some customers aren't bothered....but luckily for us most are.

I dare not ask what you would have charged Spencer!

Shaun

Dave_Lee

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 11:12:19 pm »
Sorry Mike, but I agree with Goron. I have nothing against guys who hang on to their day job whilst they test the water, so long as their ultimate intention is to (Within a reasonably short time) turn full time CC. But I am not at all happy with the full time, part timers, if you know what I mean.
 There are a coup[le of well paid Fire fighters that I know about that CC in their spare time. They undercut all the full time pro's and in doing so, unfairly (in my opinion) steal some of their work. Let them go and and get a part time job by all means. However for a full time EMPLOYEE to start up in direct unfair competition to a full time SELF EMPLOYED, as I see it, is not on.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

spencer davies

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 11:13:11 pm »
Not as much as Chris Straker, but probably x 3.

I had a chin wag with Chris in Chelsea today, admiring the Ferrari's and Astons as they drove by.

Shaun, if you want a link on our new site, help yourself, I will add one back.

Regards

S

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 11:40:40 pm »
Who said business was fair, life isn't fair. There are Firemen near me who work part time but to suggest they shouldn't do it is ridiculus.

Also what's creeping in and is a diffrent arguement is whether they are insured and do decent job. Buyer beware is what I say.

What I'm saying is worry about your own business and let them get on with it. It's called loci of control or sphere of influence.

ps I'm one of the ones who are below the bread line so any donations welcome. :'(

Jason Hedges

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 12:17:26 am »
I suppose then what I am asking is, could any of you very helpful lads and ladies possibly give me some marketing pointers so that I can get to where I need to be (1 or 2 jobs a week) without spending an absolute fortune.
Any help that anyone could give me would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks
J

Hi Jamie,

Try running some small ads in your local papers and village / parish magazines. Wont cost a fortune and should make the phone ring.

As long as you've done some training, have insurance, use the right equipment and chems and do a good job then good luck. Fitting it in around a full time job could prove a problem, however if you're prepared to put in the hours to build up business and a customer database with a view to going full time then fair play to you.

If you'd like a chat then give me a call (07721 827163), I'll be more than happy to give you some advice. I've only been in this business for 4 years and have made every mistake possible. I have however learnt from my mistakes and have just about turned things around (touch wood).

All the best,
Jason.