This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

xxmattyxx

Trolley/Strainer
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:20:33 pm »
I tried today to fit a flojet strainer on my Freedom Trolley, just before the pump.

I didnt realise but now I think it needs to be laid horizontal, but because its a trolley theres little room and it had to be fitted inline with the pipe-work that comes down the side of the trolley just prior to going into the pump inlet, thus I think it caused an airlock, no water pumping out whatsoever.

Ive now taken it off and returned the pipework back to how it was and all fine.

So.......how do you fit a strainer to a Freedom Trolley without causing airlocks.

I also took the 90° bend off the inlet side of the pump to see if tit came with an inline one, nought there....

Matt

Jon-scwindows

Re: Trolley/Strainer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:31:02 pm »
you can get 90 degree tail fittings that will connect to the pump then have it connected to that, or fit a tail to the female side of the strainer on both sides, to have it inline with the hose so its not so stiff...
or carefully cut off the part that is lose that tightens the strainer onto the pump and push some hose over that, with a jubilee clip, then have it inline.

dai

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:33:47 pm »
Matt, I don't know about the freedom trolley mate, mines a DIY. I took off the inline strainer after a few weeks because of airlock problems. I managed to buy some old stainless beer cellar pipes at a car boot.
These are just tubes that went into the barrel with a strainer fitted to the end, these work fine.
If you used a rigid plastic tube going into your container, you could plug the end and drill some tiny holes
all round,about a centimeter from the bottom. This will work just as well. Dai

mark dew

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:52:09 pm »
Even if you don't end up with a strainer on your trolley any debris that gets into your barrel will get caught up at the y piece tube going onto the jets on the brush. It happens sometimes but pulling the hose off the y piece and sucking will clear it. Once i had to get a needle to clear the jet but it is a problem that has been very rare.
On my freedom trolley the bloke i bought it off had put a section of hard pipe over the tubing that goes into the barrel with a female hozelock on the end and a male pushed into that.
What about buying one of those cheap plastic kitchen sieves from tescos and cutting a round piece out and putting it between the male and female hozelock connection in the barrel. That will stop anything before the pump then.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:31:57 pm »
you can get 90 degree tail fittings
Thats what I got

I also took the 90° bend off the inlet side of the pump

Even if you don't end up with a strainer on your trolley any debris that gets into your barrel will get caught up at the y piece tube going onto the jets on the brush. It happens sometimes but pulling the hose off the y piece and sucking will clear it. Once i had to get a needle to clear the jet but it is a problem that has been very rare.
On my freedom trolley the bloke i bought it off had put a section of hard pipe over the tubing that goes into the barrel with a female hozelock on the end and a male pushed into that.
What about buying one of those cheap plastic kitchen sieves from tescos and cutting a round piece out and putting it between the male and female hozelock connection in the barrel. That will stop anything before the pump then.

If I get any debris in my barrel it'll bugger the pump before it gets to the 'y' piece wont it?  Its the pump Im concerned about, I dont want it to get damaged.

Matt

mark dew

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:42:43 pm »
matt, i have had alot of debris, leaves etc when i had my water butt outside last autumn and in just under 2 years the debris has blocked the jets after passing through the pump but caused no problem with the pump.
I understand your concern though and don't know how hardy pumps are so how about putting a hozelock connection on the end of the pipe in the barrel, cut a bit of plastic sieve out and wrap it over the end of a double male hozelock and then push it into the female hozelock. That way you are straining the water before it leaves the barrel on your trolley.
Those sieves are a couple of quid in asda/tesco.

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:46:08 pm »
If I get any debris in my barrel it'll bugger the pump before it gets to the 'y' piece wont it?  Its the pump Im concerned about, I dont want it to get damaged.
Matt

sorry, i thought you said you tried to fit a strainer on your trolley, so that would protect your pump from any debris that would be in the barrel.

mark dew

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:19 pm »
lol that is what you said.  ;D
Do you know what i mean? Putting male/female hozelocks on the end of the pipe that goes into your barrel and then putting a bit of mesh over the double ended male hozelock and pushing it into the female.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 09:54:55 pm »
Yes, gotcha, thats looking like the best option right now, I might go to a DIY store tomorrow, see whats floating about in the plumbing section, theres gotta be something that can be butchered with a 1/2" strainer on it  ;D

mark dew

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:22 pm »
Yes, gotcha, thats looking like the best option right now, I might go to a DIY store tomorrow, see whats floating about in the plumbing section, theres gotta be something that can be butchered with a 1/2" strainer on it  ;D

lol. i dunno if it will fit through the hole but could you connect your strainer on the end of the pipe that sits in your barrel?

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 10:08:47 pm »
matt does that trolley of yours have a flo jet then?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »
matt does that trolley of yours have a flo jet then?

No, I bought one as an extra

lol. i dunno if it will fit through the hole but could you connect your strainer on the end of the pipe that sits in your barrel?

Na, too big to go in there  :'(

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:25:27 pm »
some fine mesh and a jubilee clip around the end of the hose in the barrel??

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 10:26:43 pm »
so what pump does it have mate?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:14 pm »
some fine mesh and a jubilee clip around the end of the hose in the barrel??

yup, good one

;D

ta muchly

bloody 'ell, could 'ave saved meself a tenner if I'd thought of that  ;D

xxmattyxx

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:39 pm »
so what pump does it have mate?

Shurflo

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:20 pm »
surely its got the inline strainer fitted on the surflo already aint it ??? do they sell them without one on if so is there room to fit one they about half size of flo jet ones

xxmattyxx

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:38 pm »
Thats what I found with the flojet one, its so bulky, maybe a shurflo one is smaller (anyone got any dimensions for a shurflo inline strainer?)

Theres just not enough room underneath the unit to fit a flojet one with the battery and pump down there, but if it was a smaller unit.......... ?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:39:45 pm »
And and and .........and heres something else, Cooper Pegler who make sparyers sell small inline filters to fit there knapsack sprayers......

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 10:41:30 pm »
think there might be a pic on cleaning spots website bit late for me to go clawing the pump box open at this time nite but LOT smaller than flo jet. cant believe it aint got one as standard for :o