This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

The downside to window cleaning
« on: February 04, 2008, 05:37:21 pm »
Went to clean a house today and was told the old lady had died suddenly. Totally gutted , that is one downside of window cleaning. Ruined my day  :'(

Majestic

Re: The downside to window cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »
Yes, I know what you mean, one of my customers lost her husband just before Xmas. When I went again after Xmas you have to say something, I asked her how she was , and she got all emotional again .

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:42:37 pm »
Went to clean a house today and was told the old lady had died suddenly. Totally gutted , that is one downside of window cleaning. Ruined my day  :'(
I feel for you, I hate it when that happens.

if you know them for long time is hard sometimes isn't it.

even worse for me when a customers son or daughter calls and says they will pay you but mum or dad has died, had one a few months back with the son chocked on phone and his sister had to take over the call, total respect for them both for calling to let me know at a very hard time for them.

elite mike

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:52:58 pm »
yeh its happened to me to ,many times over the years. you  never get used to it
best regards
mike

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:11:37 pm »
Couple i do, the wife is very ill with cancer then the husband nearly dies with a heart attack. Lovely people but it's only a matter of time.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:40:17 pm »
no what you mean had 2 pensioners this week alone,
when this happens i mark then on my sheet as a capital "H" this stands for put on hold
then wait for new owners/tenants to arrive
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:31:34 pm »
i had 2 died last year. I asked them to stick the cash in the collection at the funeral. I think the old customers are brilliant (apart from dying before me) as they network like demons and always seem happy to see me.

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:37:34 pm »
Its the downside to life, not just window cleaning!! People die, get over it!!! :o

Dean Aspects

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:39:28 pm »
A few years ago one of my new customers told me her husband had died 2 weeks before xmas then one week later before the funeral her dad died
 6 months after that her mother moved in a few weeks later she died so she lost three of the most important people in her life within a year i felt so sorry for her but what can you say

Dean

matt

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:58:16 pm »
ive had 3 deaths since christmas, did a house today who told me no4 is soon to happen

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:13 pm »
Death is all around. It's just a matter of time. Make the most of your life, you've only got the one, so enjoy it while you can.

ronaldo

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:35:17 pm »
Death is all around. It's just a matter of time. Make the most of your life, you've only got the one, so enjoy it while you can.

Wayne i have to agree with you there 100 and 10 PERCENT!!!!!!!!
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:10 pm »

WOW.......................This thred is SO SO........................

Uplifting!!!!! ;D ;D

As the chap who works for me says:

"Life.....No-one gets out ALIVE!!!!"

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:39 am »
I clean for a elderly couple  - he has cancer, and she's not well herself. But, you know they are the most positive people I have ever met !!

They always give me a cup of tea, and I have a good chat with them - they always tell me some great tales, and I always leave feeling humbled, but feeling a lot better with life.

Would I be same in there position - I'm not sure I would.

Remarkable people. :) :) :)
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

Londoner

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 08:02:59 am »
I have a customer base which seems to comprise mainly of older people. I didn't plan it that way but the area is changing and it seems the older ones still want their windows cleaned while the newcomers don't.

The thing I find very unsettling is when the last time you called they were fine. Then you go back and the neighbour tells you they've died. True enough, we are here today and gone tomorrow.

Then the house is sold and the new people never want their windows cleaned or the house goes straight out to rent.

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 08:46:52 am »
I've one customer; she's tiny, in her ninetees, practically blind and deaf, crippled with arthritis and has looked like she's on death's door for the past five years.  I always think she's not going to survive the next Winter, but she always does.

When I shout my usual greeting at her, "How are you today, Mrs Robinson?", she just laughs sarcastically at me.  ::)

Blackbushe Windows

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:22 pm »
One of my pleasant old ladies who relied alot on her son - very distraught - son had died after short illness. Very hard to see her so upset especially knowing she has no other children. (Husband died several years ago). Has a very good neighbour though! 
Blackbushe Windows.
Est. 1983
www.blackbushewindows.co.uk

tacky

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 01:19:45 pm »
same here .when ever it happens .i tell custies husband or wife let me know if i can do any thing .to help .i know some people say get over it . but when ever me n missis pass houses we used to do . that ol custies use to own .we say can u remember so. n so .because some of ur ol custie ar like family .the cake n tea some of ar custie give us .is as good as payment on a cold day .

Pole2pole

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 03:29:44 pm »
I've one customer; she's tiny, in her ninetees, practically blind and deaf, crippled with arthritis and has looked like she's on death's door for the past five years.  I always think she's not going to survive the next Winter, but she always does.

When I shout my usual greeting at her, "How are you today, Mrs Robinson?", she just laughs sarcastically at me.  ::)
we all do that Tosh lol. I read this post this morning........as ya do..........then went off to work. You guessed it. As i was driving,the phone went off. One of my custies calling to apologise for not being in yesterday but she was up the hospital with her dad, who died in the afternoon. And she's apologising ::) Bless her cotton's. Chalk and cheese,customers,aint they? Total tw*ts(sorry Ian :) ) or real gems.

haggis

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 03:51:09 pm »
You always feel a bit sad when this happens, send a condolance card cos it's nice to be nice :)
God loves a tryer but trying tae clean windaes in the rain - It's a mugs game