This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Kev R

Re: Protecta Balls- design protected
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 06:38:14 pm »
I think its designed to protect the connection from damage when it is connected and its on the floor, not separated and dragged back to the van if you see what I mean  ???

Tim Rose

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »
So what's it protecting?  The tap?

Like you say, its the dragging  back to the van that's the problem, or morelikely the dropping on the floor, or letting it go when you are one side of a fence and you have to walk the long way around to pick it up, or you leave it hooked up on a rose bush and forget it until the last moment then drop the bloody thing, all in all it gets treated like dirt.

The END of the thing needs to be rubberised or something, not bare metal.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 06:44:27 pm »
I have one of thos nice tap things from cleantech and I have to change the bit on the end every couple of months as the end drops on the floor and somehow knackers the sliding sleeve thing.

This is WITH a protector ball, the one that looks like the planet Jupiter. Is this the fella?

Annoys me, but it does help to locate the end when I need to turn the tap off.
i have the same tap but with a MALE connector on i have FEMALES on the poles, i find the male on the tap is less delicate and stands up to reeling in better ,and the poles dont leak in the van, not every ones cup of tea but it works for me

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 06:50:24 pm »
I have one of thos nice tap things from cleantech and I have to change the bit on the end every couple of months as the end drops on the floor and somehow knackers the sliding sleeve thing.

This is WITH a protector ball, the one that looks like the planet Jupiter. Is this the fella?

Annoys me, but it does help to locate the end when I need to turn the tap off.
i have the same tap but with a MALE connector on i have FEMALES on the poles, i find the male on the tap is less delicate and stands up to reeling in better ,and the poles dont leak in the van, not every ones cup of tea but it works for me
does any of you on here have the tap on your pole hose ?

I have tap on hose at the mo , that gets damaged is more expensive to replace just got 3 more and a few other things that were not what I wanted, but will comin in handy.

any ideas on this >?

Kev R

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 06:56:20 pm »
I use a tap in a holster. The microbore hose from the van plugs into the back of it and the pole hose plugs into the front. I pull the hoses to the farthest point connect up then when finished I walk back to the van and disconnect just before reeling in. No damage. I used to use just protecta ball connect up and drag the connection along. I still do from time to time if in a rush and not worried about water use.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 06:57:41 pm »
So what's it protecting? The tap?

Like you say, its the dragging back to the van that's the problem, or morelikely the dropping on the floor, or letting it go when you are one side of a fence and you have to walk the long way around to pick it up, or you leave it hooked up on a rose bush and forget it until the last moment then drop the bloody thing, all in all it gets treated like dirt.

thats why i have male on the tap if you get it covered in mud its easy to clean and i think it takes abuse better its the females that are really delicate  ::)and because they are on the poles i tend to pick em up and not trail em along floor

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 07:01:03 pm »
I have one on my hose and it hasn't protected the tap much. The tap has broken and has only one ear instead of two ( hope you know what i mean by ears, maybe i should have called it the wingnut)

I can still use it tho ;D

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 07:02:39 pm »

Like you say, its the dragging back to the van that's the problem, or morelikely the dropping on the floor, or letting it go when you are one side of a fence and you have to walk the long way around to pick it up, or you leave it hooked up on a rose bush and forget it until the last moment then drop the bloody thing, all in all it gets treated like dirt.

thats why i have male on the tap if you get it covered in mud its easy to clean and i think it takes abuse better its the females that are really delicate  ::)and because they are on the poles i tend to pick em up and not trail em along floor
Same as

Tim Rose

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:49 pm »

I've just learnt a big lesson here.  Male on the tail end of the hose.  Abashed,  Rosy.

jeff1

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 07:17:13 pm »
After a couple of months without protection I lost 3 taps,  I did this with mine and no trouble since.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:18 pm »
not really mate ithink the majority of people have males on pole and female on hose i think me and ian ww are in minority but i could be wrong.When i set my diy up the poles came with male connectors,it took me about 6 weeks to knacker the hose end and i switched it all then.Main reasons why are 1.the poles dont leak water in the van 2.the tap stands the abuse better 3. you can release the pressure in the hose before its disconnected from trolley

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 07:27:13 pm »
How I have it with my ez ( shrader ) fittings :

hosepipe with female ( and tennis ball ) to my holser ( male-female ) to male pole hose
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Kev R

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 07:29:09 pm »
Same as me Luke, I found this has been the best way to get long life from your connections.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 07:30:27 pm »
my holster was leaking today so everything was dragging on the floor and I noticed all the extra wear on the connectors, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

dai

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 07:48:54 pm »
I can't understand why anyone uses taps on their pole hose.
1] Use algarde silicon 6mm outside diameter pole hose, just like Jeff does to get to 82 ft
2]fold the hose to stop the flow, tie a small ring or piece of bigger hose to your pole and slip it over the folded hose.
It's as good as any tap, can't break and your folded hose is always exactly where you want it to be. Dai

Kev R

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 07:49:44 pm »
I use a waterproof window cleaners pouch on a belt placed below the holster, then this way If I do get a leak I dont get a wet leg!.

Kev R

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 07:54:54 pm »
1] Use algarde silicon 6mm outside diameter pole hose, just like Jeff does to get to 82 ft
2]fold the hose to stop the flow, tie a small ring or piece of bigger hose to your pole and slip it over the folded hose.
It's as good as any tap, can't break and your folded hose is always exactly where you want it to be. Dai

I tried this approach but is a faff about. Once your connected a simple turn of the tap allows you to stop the flow or restart it one handed (holster method) There is no need to disconnect to the jobs done. Folding the hose carrying the pole and opening a gate or moving a bin is difficult and the hose slips out of the ring often. I prefer a tap. But you have to try both methods to see what suits you.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 07:55:57 pm »

Hi Dai, I use a tap not just for the on/off function but the inbetween!!! it acts as a very efficeint flow control ontop of the varistream, so I can constantly control the flow, good hey!!  Luke

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 07:57:14 pm »
Why not use a trigger valve?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130126212792&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Microbore inc. protecta ball would plug straight in there.

Even though I haven't made the switch yet, I do got some stuff laying around, and reeling the hose in, with the protecta ball seems to do a pretty good job protecting it.

Also, I think the best way to use them, how Alex described it, is have one on the micro/minibore, and on the polehose. That way it should be protected the best.

Kev R

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 08:02:38 pm »
Why not use a trigger valve?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130126212792&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Microbore inc. protecta ball would plug straight in there.

Even though I haven't made the switch yet, I do got some stuff laying around, and reeling the hose in, with the protecta ball seems to do a pretty good job protecting it.

Also, I think the best way to use them, how Alex described it, is have one on the micro/minibore, and on the polehose. That way it should be protected the best.

The trouble with these are that you have to compress them to operate them. Your hand has to stay in a fixed position to operate it. This leads to strain and pain. I took mine off after two days.