This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Lancaster

Water: Meter or not?
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:47:33 pm »
Just been talking to Southern Water about my water usage.  According to them there is no requirement for me to have a meter fitted, as my business is run from home but not conducted at home.  i.e. the actual business activity (cleaning windows!) takes place at locations other than my home address.

However:  There are now four, and shortly to be five of us using pure water produced here in my shed, so including waste I'm drawing in the region of 5 cubic metres of water a day.

Conscience says I ought to apply for a meter as my situation is not what the domestic supply is designed to cover.

On the other hand, once I've "come clean" and the water company wakes up to what I'm doing (I've already told them three times, but they don't take a lot of notice) I doubt there'll be any going back.

What would you do, and why?

Cheers 

Ian

Kev R

Re: Water: Meter or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:51:56 pm »
Ian,
 there is no legal requirement. However if your domestic supply is metered it would be cheaper. If your not on a water meter financially there is no advantage or requirement for having one in your situation.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 04:57:34 pm »
All you can do is go along with their advice. I don't suppose they are prepared to put that in writing or give you the name and position of the person giving the advice but none the less you have done your best.

The worst that can happen, in these circs I would imagine is that at some point they back bill you for a couple of years.

I'm on a meter, and it doesn't seem that expensive.Have you finished writing your windex talk or are you going to wing it?

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:58:25 pm »
I got a visit from anglian water inspector today, someone trying to stitch me up.

I got hello Sir are you Mr Wicks.
"yes"
we have reason to believe you are empting cemical waste into our drains we have been told this.
Me I laughed at the guy.
I said "can you explain to me where these arte coming from, and he proudy showed me my waste hose.

sorry m8 someones on a windup I only use water thats it nothing else, and if anything you should be thanking me for filtering the high tds water that I do.
I showed the guy my system even did a test for him he was gobsmacked and totally amazed, I did offer to clean his windows but hes miles away, lucked out there.

in the end he was saying so sorry to trouble you but we have to follow up things like this some people dont have a clue do they?

I laughed again and said I guess not.

he learnt a thing or two today, and I only wish I had the name or the person that sent them.

busy bodies with nothing better to do.  ::)

sry for rammbling on there, just thought I would share it

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:58:54 pm »
The worst that can happen, in these circs I would imagine is that at some point they back bill you for a couple of years.

Have you finished writing your windex talk or are you going to wing it?

Using 25,000 lt a week, that thought terrifies me :o

Don't quite understand the term "wing it".  Windex talk all prepared, with Powerpoint presentation :)

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:23:54 pm »
I'm a believer Ian, you've got me convinced. I just wondered how you were going about it. I hope you have a big audience.
 What time slot have you got?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:18:19 pm »
I'm a believer Ian, you've got me convinced. I just wondered how you were going about it. I hope you have a big audience.
 What time slot have you got?

Friday afternoon, 1.00 to 1.30pm ;)