This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gollo

My feet are killing me!!!!
« on: January 31, 2008, 12:02:06 pm »
Have been wc trad now for just over a year and the last couple of months the soles of my feet have started to hurt really bad. It feels like they are bruised all over & when i first walk on them in the morning i'm like an old man. My doctor says its due to my change in jobs as i'm now on my feet all day & used to have an office job. Says I will need to experiment with different shoes. Has anybody else had this problem & how have  they overcome it. ???

Adam Boss

Re: My feet are killing me!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:16:41 pm »
If your up and down ladders all day then you need a good pair of boots with a decent sole. I use dewalt which have a steel toecap and none slip /oil resistant sole. These are quite light and I have been window cleaning for 20 years now and touch wood have had no trouble with my feet or legs. You can pay alot but look at Makro or Costco for deals. Don't use trainers , one they wont last and two they give no support for your ankles.

Adam
EST: 1988

Pat Purcell

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:21:55 pm »
Are your ladders round rung or D rung, round rung can be hard on your feet
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Tim82

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:22:51 pm »
 Yeah - when I first started traditional 10 years ago my feet really hurt at first from climbing the ladder, but it was from wearing trainers with thin soles. Try some thick insoles, skateboard trainers or hiking boots(although I always think hard soles of hiking boots are more dangerous for ladders as they can slip through the rungs easily when wet).

My feet really hurt at first when i switched to wfp last year - I think it was because they weren't used to being on the ground all day! I've been wearing skateboard trainers with thick soles and that did the trick! Although I think i'm gonna get some hiking boots as they're a bit more water-proof!

simon knight

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:33:51 pm »

4 years into this job and my feet still ache 1st thing...coming down the stairs at 6am I'm like a cripple but they loosen up after 10 minutes or so.

Although trainers are not the ideal thing to wear, if, like me you're humping ladders around all day you want something that's light and comfortable so trainers fit the bill (for me).

Sturdy boots are probably better but as I 70% of the time do "ins" as well find it so much easier to kick off/slip on trainers than faff around with boot laces.

I think that aching feet are a hazard of the job and as far as I'm aware there'll be no lasting damage.

gollo

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:45 pm »
Thanks for all your comments guys. I have been wearing  Karrimor walking shoes & had no problems with feet until about 2 months ago. Have tried a few different footwear but so far pain is still there.looks like I'll have to keep on trying.

Adam Boss

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:45:31 pm »
4 years of wrong footwear Simon, as for insides I use shoe covers and on in seconds. Looks more professional and years down the line you will have no foot problems which is more important.
I do mainly commercial and with h&s would not be allowed on a site without proper footwear.

Adam
EST: 1988

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:54:17 pm »
Peter Storm "Vibram" boots from Milletts.  Good thick sole and deep "step" at the instep which locates on the ladder rung and prevents slipping.

I reckon I'm the expert on achy feet:  I fell 18' onto concrete in 1977 - broke both heel bones and both ankles - still have a lump of steel in my right ankle to keep it together - ache like b*****y at the end of the day/when I sit down/first thing in the morning, but OK once I get going.

Peter Storm are the most comfortable boots I've found, and they're not expensive ;)

Blackbushe Windows

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:58:52 pm »
Have to say - only ever worn trainers, but I take the point from other posts about them. Boots will make your feet ache due to the weight though.

Trainers work ok for me and don't really get achy feet.

Peter
Blackbushe Windows.
Est. 1983
www.blackbushewindows.co.uk

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 03:10:10 pm »
4 years of wrong footwear Simon, as for insides I use shoe covers and on in seconds. Looks more professional and years down the line you will have no foot problems which is more important.
I do mainly commercial and with h&s would not be allowed on a site without proper footwear.

Adam

Make you right Adam, with commercial I know the form: No Boots, No Hat, No Work!

But I'm only residential so that doesn't apply for me. Good idea about the over covers though...I'll nip down to B&Q and get some.

Cheers

Simon

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 03:13:31 pm »
get some memory foam insoles off ebay seem to give some relief
Spit and polish

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 04:31:11 pm »
I've had this. You've got some very strong connective tissue-plantar facilatis- and it's this on the rungs of the ladder. It's also an overuse injury for runners.

If you let it get worse you end up with flat feet or a spur on the heel. So, a hard sole to stop it, and heel supports to help it get better. Stretching and rubbing feet over a tennis ball help.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »
If and when you can afford it go WFP,i can`t think why anyone would want to climb a ladder alday long these days there`s no need with WFP widely available and affordable,the pressure on your feet going up and down ladders alday is huge including your knees aswell.Over a long period of time you`ll damage the nerves in your feet and that can lead to circulation problems ie cold feet etc.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 04:39:49 pm »
Have been wc trad now for just over a year and the last couple of months the soles of my feet have started to hurt really bad. It feels like they are bruised all over & when i first walk on them in the morning i'm like an old man. My doctor says its due to my change in jobs as i'm now on my feet all day & used to have an office job. Says I will need to experiment with different shoes. Has anybody else had this problem & how have  they overcome it. ???
My dad gets this all the time, hes on his feet all day, correct footwear is a must, dont buy cheap tat, wash you feet everydad, you may need some arch pads.

nobody is the same but my dads where collapsing from bad footwear (my mum being cheap skate I guess and him just wearing them.

sf

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 05:01:21 pm »
used to have the same problem.down to finding the right footwear.i find asics running trainers to be the best.last well to 2 years 5-6 days a week.just a case of finding whats right for you.

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 05:21:30 pm »
Spot on ww. But it's not all your mums fault, age plays a part and if he's put a couple of stone on since he was twenty five this doesn't help. It's the tissue you use when you walk on your toes.

ok cleaning

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 05:24:03 pm »
try strauss direct for all your work wear got some good shoes too

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »
Spot on ww. But it's not all your mums fault, age plays a part and if he's put a couple of stone on since he was twenty five this doesn't help. It's the tissue you use when you walk on your toes.
lol ages has a part you are right for 25 years I said I am not wearing them, all my kids get good shoes as they need there feet for when they start working for me lol.
3 boys oldest starts in 3 years

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »
Yep go wfp and welcome to the world of neck ache and shoulder ache and exploding biceps. ;D

gollo

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »
Thanks again guys for all your comments. Sounds like i need to invest in some decent shoes & hope that the pain eases with time.