This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tim Rose

Water bill
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:01:52 pm »
I had my seventh water bill the other day, and it was waaaaaaaaay higher than any before.  I've got a new 4x40 RO.  Can i claim anything against tax?

cybersye

Re: Water bill
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30:24 pm »
In my opinion , yes
how much I'm not sure, although a custy of mine who's an accountant that i may call on in future told me it would be reasonable to claim 70 - 80 % of the water bill. ::) but i dont really know , thats just what she told me. Something I'm considering doing is putting an additional meter on the feed to my ro so when the bill comes in I know exactly whats been domestic and whats been used for window cleaning (you can buy meters for a tenner or so on ebay) , just a thought  ;)

Pj

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:48:18 pm »
I have calculated exactly the volume I'm using for business and it's ok to claim for that.
The volume I use for getting rid of 'my business' I have to swallow :o ;D

alanwilson

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:03:07 pm »
have you tried using a boostr pump and turning the waste down to 40% or less?
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Kev R

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:19:17 am »
Did you know that you can get a separate meter for your supply to your system etc for free? Did you know that water used from a separate metered source used for wfp is not subject to a sewage charge?

It makes one hell of a difference to your bill, and you can charge your business exactly what it uses no argument. Phone your water board and tell them what you do and thats what they will suggest.  ;)

Kev

Pj

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:38:12 am »
Yes KevR that is correct, but only if your waste goes onto the garden or into a soakaway.
If it goes down a drain then it gets a sewer charge obviously.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:44:56 am »
Kev, you are spot on.

I was told that by anglia water. I didnt know you could get it for free tho............where can i get one?

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Kev R

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 10:31:17 am »
Yes KevR that is correct, but only if your waste goes onto the garden or into a soakaway.

If you tell the nice  lady / gentleman from the water board that its all used for window cleaning / conservatory cleaning its free!!! Just dont go into all the details!!!

Kev, you are spot on.

I was told that by anglia water. I didnt know you could get it for free tho............where can i get one?

Bob

Just phone the water board and ask about an extra meter on your property for your business. The meter is free but if they fit it its £100 +Vat on which you would still save a fortune but it really is not a complicated job and trust me Im no plumber  ;)

Pj

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:07:23 pm »

If you tell the nice  lady / gentleman from the water board that its all used for window cleaning / conservatory cleaning its free!!! Just dont go into all the details!!!

If you are getting a free meter to subtract from sewage charge, make sure your waste is not being sent down a drain.
If it is you may as well pay the extra sewage charge - as the fine they'll give you is much higher.
Up to you though.
"Don't go into all the details"??  Don't tell them the truth?
::)

And if all windowcleaners did that, when we put forward our case in the drought time then they'll really want to help us won't they!  When they realise we've tried to defraud them!

Kev R

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:21:45 pm »

If you are getting a free meter to subtract from sewage charge, make sure your waste is not being sent down a drain.
If it is you may as well pay the extra sewage charge - as the fine they'll give you is much higher.
Up to you though.
"Don't go into all the details"??  Don't tell them the truth?
::)

And if all windowcleaners did that, when we put forward our case in the drought time then they'll really want to help us won't they!  When they realise we've tried to defraud them!

Not quite, a little over reaction there I think.

I use a DI system so I have no waste water - no problem

If your like a friend of mine that uses an RO system and uses the waste water as much as possible for watering the garden, filling the pond, pressure washing , mixing with rain water before reprocessing and cleaning conservatories etc etc then its fine. If you have a pipe that runs straight into the drain then you should get a sewerage charge as you have made no effort to make use of the waste water.

Its all about the way we use of our resources  not fraud.  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 02:27:46 pm »
I have calculated exactly the volume I'm using for business and it's ok to claim for that.

How much do you claim for tax? 100%? I've got a cheap water meter off eBay, which lets me know exactly how much I will use.

Kev R

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 02:39:43 pm »

How much do you claim for tax? 100%? I've got a cheap water meter off eBay, which lets me know exactly how much I will use.

If its an official water meter form the water board your business is billed directly so you can claim 100% of the bill. The meter from ebay could be used to give a rough estimation so you could work out how much you use and deduct it from you household bill, but you would then be paying for sewerage which makes water about 4X more expensive to use.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 02:43:43 pm »
have you tried using a boostr pump and turning the waste down to 40% or less?

Is this on a 40-40 RO?  I thought you had to allow a 4:1 ratio or the membrane will suffer?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:46:21 pm »

If its an official water meter form the water board your business is billed directly so you can claim 100% of the bill. The meter from ebay could be used to give a rough estimation so you could work out how much you use and deduct it from you household bill, but you would then be paying for sewerage which makes water about 4X more expensive to use.

I thought it was only 10p sewerage for £1 for 1000l? I really need to check my family's waterbill lol.

Kev R

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:50:38 pm »
It depends where you live, water in the Southwest is really expensive due to tourism and a massive coast line.  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 02:59:39 pm »

The part highlighted :

But you can claim the total bill of the water you used as an expense on your tax return couldn't you? So....technically your paying for it, but it will be deducted from your tax bill?

*sorry it just confuses me a bit.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 03:19:58 pm »
I think I will claim 40% of the relevant part of the bill as an operating expense. This would be done as a sperate ncalculation and then just include as an expense.

Anyone see any problems with that?

Pj

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 07:55:25 pm »
As we often say - it's not rocket science!  You simply calculate how much your usage is by measuring your production and waste over any given period then work it out from your water bill.  Whatever water company bills you  tells you the calculation they charge for sewage so you just add that and bingo.
The free meter is fine as long as your waste is going anywhere but in the drain and as long as it is metering your outside tap supply to RO only........As I explained.

I have researched it thoroughly.

Kev R

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 07:59:36 pm »
As we often say - it's not rocket science!  You simply calculate how much your usage is by measuring your production and waste over any given period then work it out from your water bill.  Whatever water company bills you  tells you the calculation they charge for sewage so you just add that and bingo.
The free meter is fine as long as your waste is going anywhere but in the drain and as long as it is metering your outside tap supply to RO only........As I explained.

I have researched it thoroughly.

Summed up beautifully  ;)

barryargent

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 05:23:31 pm »
i know this is basically summed up,but i just need to confirm before i contact the water board and shoo myself in the foot.We are on a meter,water bill gone up £15 a month altho im expectng more,cos only been using a cpl months from the house.If i contact the water board for a meter,which by this looks like a good idea mostly,im unsure what everyone means by waste - at our house obv theres no waste at all,the water goes from taps,to water system.Then i go out and clean windows,havent really monitored where the waste goes - most of my customers own their own home,and the water goes onto their patio,garden etc.......so what is water board likely to say to this???and is it worth me contacting them for a meter?and also would i get into trouble using it from home as i am without letting them know its being used for business also???thanks