This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

david68

Re: building a website
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 10:10:45 am »
I had this company do mine for £120

http://www.risingstarenterprise.com/

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Mo

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 10:20:13 am »
Try this one is FREEEEEEEEEEEE ;D ;D ;D ;D

mO 8)

Mo

Kev R

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 10:49:09 am »
Hi Ian,

The validation is fine on my site. A few bits of the validation process dont really matter because the bits that fail validation are not a problem as they pertain to a page or process I dont want to rank or its done on purpose. (like the contact page does not need to appear in its own right on google searches).

Your site is Ok but as you know it requires a bit of work from a technical and a layout point of view. However what you are trying to achieve is not a small feat.  My advise would be to remove all live "under construction" bits or add no follows to the pages as this will adversely affect your ranking. Also the look of your site is good but its really boring and confusing. Simplify it, make it less cluttered and add some interesting content like pictures (remember name the images with keywords).

The site you have built if fully functional  would cost £1000 - £1500 minimum to have built professionally just due to the time involved. And the ongoing updating of the site would be time consuming if you wanted it to remain current and rank well. But like mine I can see its a labour of love so you will do it Im sure  ;)

Its nice to have a chat with a fellow " websites for fun" builder on a cleaning forum  ;)

Kev R

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 10:53:17 am »
I had this company do mine for £120

http://www.risingstarenterprise.com/

Dave

Dave,

I hate to burst your bubble but unfortunately even their site  will never rank on google because its missing even a meta description with keywords in - one of the simplest thing to add. Stay well clear!!!!!

I would have built theirs for  £200 but it would rank on google.

Kev

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 12:30:24 pm »
Hi Ian,

The validation is fine on my site. A few bits of the validation process dont really matter because the bits that fail validation are not a problem as they pertain to a page or process I dont want to rank or its done on purpose. (like the contact page does not need to appear in its own right on google searches).

Your site is Ok but as you know it requires a bit of work from a technical and a layout point of view. However what you are trying to achieve is not a small feat.  My advise would be to remove all live "under construction" bits or add no follows to the pages as this will adversely affect your ranking. Also the look of your site is good but its really boring and confusing. Simplify it, make it less cluttered and add some interesting content like pictures (remember name the images with keywords).

The site you have built if fully functional  would cost £1000 - £1500 minimum to have built professionally just due to the time involved. And the ongoing updating of the site would be time consuming if you wanted it to remain current and rank well. But like mine I can see its a labour of love so you will do it Im sure  ;)

Its nice to have a chat with a fellow " websites for fun" builder on a cleaning forum  ;)
websites for fun, I have been awake since yesterday morning lol, I am not looking forward to redoing mine but I will and all comments are noted in a good way as I can tell you know what you are doing as I have gone on your site inside and out, I changed  a few things on mine and it needs changing back as ranking is slowing, SEO I something I love to do, just the time as you say  ;)

Ian

matt

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 12:56:25 pm »
just for the non-geeks

SEO means search engine optimization, which in simple terms is directing search engine traffic to your site, this will increase your ranking in search engines, thus, some1 might search for " window cleaning in surrey" and you will be as high as possible in the search

thats how i understand it anyways, im sure some1 will corret me

Kev R

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 02:10:51 pm »
just for the non-geeks

SEO means search engine optimization, which in simple terms is directing search engine traffic to your site, this will increase your ranking in search engines, thus, some1 might search for " window cleaning in surrey" and you will be as high as possible in the search

thats how i understand it anyways, im sure some1 will corret me

Matt,
You are very correct in what you say. The joy of SEO (search engine optimization) is google keeps moving the goal posts. So a site that ranks well one week can be dropped the next. Google wants to have the latest up to date websites that offer functionality and a good experience for the viewer. Websites on the whole tend to be static as they are like a brochure for the company, google prefers new updated content. A website if its going to do really well for you needs to be optimised to hit as much of your target audience as possible. I have five sites all targeting the same audience but in different more specific areas. If one of my sites looses its ranking another slightly differently optimised site will take its place. This works for me. If you live in a small town getting and keeping good ranking is easy, however if you lived in london for example is a little harder but still can be done with time and a little perseverance. Why do I have five sites as I live in a small town? well I target commercial business only in 2 other cities and everywhere else in between.

Hope this helps

Kev

marc

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 10:23:17 pm »
had a look at your site dave and i must say i was very impressed with it i will be contacting them along with ian and andy, i didnt know what soe was   marc