This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

marc

building a website
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:28:43 pm »
hi guys i have been meaning to get a website up and running for a few months now but not got round to it i have a friend who has put together most of it on a disc and i have brought my web name so my question is do i go to 1) some one like ian from window washers and have 3 pages and all of what else he does (which i may add does sound good) for around £350ish 2) go to another website maker and get one done for between £100/£200 and there are  many that charge a lot more ,or 3)get a friend to have a go of one of these free ones,           i am not really bothered about beenin found on the search engines it is more when people see my van or cards they can check out our services your veiws on this matter would be great thanks marc

supernova77

Re: building a website
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »
Hi Marc,

I have designed the following websites recently:

http://www.titanium-uk.co.uk

http://www.mjhcleaningservices.co.uk

http://www.cardiffwindows.co.uk

Drop me an email if you would like a quote.

Thanks,
Andy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:10:47 pm »
hi guys i have been meaning to get a website up and running for a few months now but not got round to it i have a friend who has put together most of it on a disc and i have brought my web name so my question is do i go to 1) some one like ian from window washers and have 3 pages and all of what else he does (which i may add does sound good) for around £350ish 2) go to another website maker and get one done for between £100/£200 and there are  many that charge a lot more ,or 3)get a friend to have a go of one of these free ones,           i am not really bothered about beenin found on the search engines it is more when people see my van or cards they can check out our services your veiws on this matter would be great thanks marc
if you do not want to be found on serach engines, get a m8 to do one thats my honest opinion.

you have looked at my site so know what I offer, have to say that others can do it but cannot offer what I do.

have to say seems a little strange why you would not want to be found on search engines for your local area or bigger area if you wanted. many people will never see your van and will search the internet for a window cleaner.

all I say if you are doing it do it properly or it will cost you more in the long run  ;)

I tried to put over both sides there for you.
if you want to have a chat (that costs nothing) 01234 870 225
Best wishes

Ian

supernova77

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:13:47 pm »
if you do not want to be found on serach engines, get a m8 to do one thats my honest opinion.

you have looked at my site so know what I offer, have to say that others can do it but cannot offer what I do.

have to say seems a little strange why you would not want to be found on search engines for your local area or bigger area if you wanted. many people will never see your van and will search the internet for a window cleaner.

all I say if you are doing it do it properly or it will cost you more in the long run  Wink

Best wishes

Ian

Ian,

Do you have any examples of recent work? You were building a site for mbs, the guy who won your free website competition?

Andy

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:19:13 pm »

all I say if you are doing it do it properly or it will cost you more in the long run  Wink

Best wishes

Ian

Ian,

Do you have any examples of recent work? You were building a site for mbs, the guy who won your free website competition?

Andy
They will be online shortly Andy  ;)

supernova77

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:43 pm »
They will be online shortly Andy  Wink

Cool  :D

Andy

matt

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:47 pm »
do a search for " free website template" loads on the net

they are free, buy the domain name, 10 quid for 2 years, get a host ( 10 - 20 quid a year )

job done

TennetClean

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:53:04 pm »

they are free, buy the domain name, 10 quid for 2 years, get a host ( 10 - 20 quid a year )

job done

except free website templates look crap usually.  And better ones are by no means easy to customise.

I see loads of home-build websites that look totally and completely naff.  In my opinion if a cutomer sees a rubbish website it actually is negative marketing.

Once again we're in the realms of the bodge it merchant versus the pro.

My advice would be to get a pro to do it.  Should cost about £300-400, more if you want some flash content and it will be cash well spent and that will really add some pizzaz and look pro.

Get him to also put a "pay me" link on so customers can pay you too, and whatever you do , DONT put stoooopid google adwords all over your site, that is the worst, most tacky thing ever and will only earn you like 0.1 pence a year.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

matt

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:58:02 pm »

job done

except free website templates look crap usually.  And better ones are by no means easy to customise.

I see loads of home-build websites that look totally and completely naff.  In my opinion if a cutomer sees a rubbish website it actually is negative marketing.

Once again we're in the realms of the bodge it merchant versus the pro.

My advice would be to get a pro to do it.  Should cost about £300-400, more if you want some flash content and it will be cash well spent and that will really add some pizzaz and look pro.

Get him to also put a "pay me" link on so customers can pay you too, and whatever you do , DONT put stoooopid google adwords all over your site, that is the worst, most tacky thing ever and will only earn you like 0.1 pence a year.

ive designed website for years now, ive got a nice portfolio 
Ive used flash ( well swish actually ) , they range from bigger project to simple 1 page sites

some of the templates look as good as any other pro designed work

a window cleaning website doesnt need to have flash / macromedia, it just needs to be simple with easy to use buttons and let the customer know about what you do
afterall you will not see a "window cleaning site" in the top 50 .net sites, will you ?? ? ??

tonylee

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:16:52 pm »
hi
bored over christmas i built my own site. i had spoken to Ian at ww and got some ideas of price and found him helpfull and informative.
however as a mainly domestic window cleaner with a good established round, i only wanted to show people in the roads i was working the services i offered. (for that reason i not too bothered if im not found on search engines.)
yes the site is a template and was free. yes it is not cutting edge but it is what i feel is ok for me now, and i can always upgrade.
look round loads of sites, work out what you like and what you want it to do for you.
tony

Majestic

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 08:55:05 pm »
If you have Microsoft office on your pc it should have Publisher with it .
Have alook at some of there templates, you can even view your pages as a web site so you can see what it would look like online .
If you already have your domain name all you need is it hosting , thats only a couple of £ per month

matt

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 08:58:53 pm »
hi
bored over christmas i built my own site. i had spoken to Ian at ww and got some ideas of price and found him helpfull and informative.
however as a mainly domestic window cleaner with a good established round, i only wanted to show people in the roads i was working the services i offered. (for that reason i not too bothered if im not found on search engines.)
yes the site is a template and was free. yes it is not cutting edge but it is what i feel is ok for me now, and i can always upgrade.
look round loads of sites, work out what you like and what you want it to do for you.
tony

a nice website, nothing flash, BUT says what is in the tin ;)

you only need to add a paypal " pay me" and you have it all

tonylee

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:00:45 pm »
thanks Matt.
i dont want paypal as it takes too long to clear
tony

matt

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:03:25 pm »
thanks Matt.
i dont want paypal as it takes too long to clear
tony

well you now, have it all :)

tonylee

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 09:08:21 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

marc

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:53 pm »
thanks guys will email you tomorrow andy and will give you a ring ian the reason i am not bothered about being high in the google listings is because my web address is going to be www.needawindowcleaner.org this is going on all my cards and is going all over my vans in huge lettering and what i am hoping is that when people need a w/c they will remember seeing one of the vans around town and rather than trying to write a phone no down or remember it my web name should be easy to remember ,well i hope i am right what do you guys think when i get the vans done i will put the pics on here   marc

Kev R

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 12:28:37 am »
Window Washers!!!!

Best wishes

Ian

I dont mind people making claims about website building but thats a ridiculous comment to make. Especially if you take a close look at the code in your site and run a few tests like validation etc. Lets face it its ok but not the work of a professional. Before you make such claims in future maybe you should be careful whos watching!!!

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 12:30:14 am »

Best wishes

Ian

I dont mind people making claims about website building but thats a ridiculous comment to make. Especially if you take a close look at the code in your site and run a few tests like validation etc. Lets face it its ok but not the work of a professional. Before you make such claims in future maybe you should be careful whos watching!!!

Kev, do you know what I meant by that comment I am guessing not.
site needs over haul I know this  ;)
Ian

Kev R

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 12:55:20 am »

Best wishes

Ian

Funny that you design websites aswell so have a pop everyone else likes to  ;)
Ian

Please enlighten me about what you meant.

Mate
 First and foremost  I am a commercial window cleaner, I do not push my website skills to anyone. I have designed a few sites its true but have no desire to become a web designer. My skills are in SEO work as I find it a challenge to rank sites high on google especially in large areas. I have several of my sites ranked on the  first page of google in towns and cities near me. I get 5 or so commercial enquiries a week. Its worth the effort as It makes my business grow and is providing me with a good client base.

There are no faults in my main site at all. There are a few non traditional bits but thats a ranking experiment. If you have spotted what you believe to be a problem please let me know as I like constructive criticism.

I m not having a dig, I'm just commenting that you have to be careful with big claims  ;)

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 01:46:03 am »

Best wishes

Ian

Funny that you design websites aswell so have a pop everyone else likes to  ;)
Ian

Please enlighten me about what you meant.

Mate
 First and foremost  I am a commercial window cleaner, I do not push my website skills to anyone. I have designed a few sites its true but have no desire to become a web designer. My skills are in SEO work as I find it a challenge to rank sites high on google especially in large areas. I have several of my sites ranked on the  first page of google in towns and cities near me. I get 5 or so commercial enquiries a week. Its worth the effort as It makes my business grow and is providing me with a good client base.

There are no faults in my main site at all. There are a few non traditional bits but thats a ranking experiment. If you have spotted what you believe to be a problem please let me know as I like constructive criticism.

I m not having a dig, I'm just commenting that you have to be careful with big claims  ;)
http://www.prismprofessional.co.uk/gallery.php?cat=4

there is one of them ;)
I can tell you know about SEO there are things myself I am trying on my site aswell, overhaul will come in time I know it needs it.
well done by the way for your website looks nice, like the text.

have you checked the validation on your site ? I have and you have a few of the same things as me

Ian