This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Re: This is doing my head in!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 10:00:08 pm »
I think the frames have a lot to do with it. A few years ago I was cleaning stock houses that hadn't even been sold. Some of these had failed units, they were the wooden framed type with double glazed units inserted. Dai

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 10:12:55 pm »
i was doing brand new houses on a building site before xmas and two of em had blown units already :o :o

Londoner

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 08:35:01 am »
The glass expands and contracts every day until eventually the continual movement wears out the rubber seal which has probably hardened with time anyway. thats why windows facing direct sunlight go quickest.

Once the seal is broken, and it only needs to be a pinhole, the gas inside blows out under expansion but also sucks back outside air when it contracts.

The outside air contains moisture, hence the condensation.

I have been blamed for it as well but its not our fault.

tompoole

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 08:13:50 pm »
Hi

i am new to all this , but, if you are using a water fed pole system could this cause the problem to become worse as you are soaking the window with water so if the unit has gone you are making it worse.  doesn't help but at the end of the day yes the unit needs replacing but the wfp could  bring on the deteriation faster as you use more water than traditional.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 08:28:06 pm »
Hi

i am new to all this , but, if you are using a water fed pole system could this cause the problem to become worse as you are soaking the window with water so if the unit has gone you are making it worse.  doesn't help but at the end of the day yes the unit needs replacing but the wfp could  bring on the deteriation faster as you use more water than traditional.
think about the rain we have

tonyoliver

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 09:15:11 pm »
dont blame the wfp trad guys dont blame the trad wfp guys
rod for all our backs
the custy will cancel oh ..............and accuse the next cleaner for the damage trad or wfp

wfp trad same journey different roads

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:34 pm »
Yeh, blame the window fitters.

tompoole

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 08:18:42 am »
Hi

think about the rain we have

True, but its not directed at the windows through a jet.  Just a thought , like i said i'm new to this just a fresh unbiased opinion.
tom

Londoner

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 08:57:59 am »
You are not blasting the water onto the glass. Its just a natural life cycle, some last longer than others but they all go eventually.

Its just that we are a handy scapegoat.

Ravensford

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:07 am »
Was told by an experienced window fitter of the silica gel? in the silver bar. He said this degrades much quicker if the fitter doesn't use packing pieces under the sealed units. This is because there is a drainage channel at the base of the frame to allow most moisture to drain away. Any residual moisture near the sealed unit is regulated by the silica.

The sealed units are not designed to be sitting permanently in water which is what happens if no packing pieces are used between the sealed units & the frames drainage channel. It could be that, if only a few are 'blown', these windows only might not have them.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Ravensford

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 08:39:16 pm »
Anyone else had any different info?