This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

L.J.Thorpe

windowvarnish??
« on: January 28, 2008, 05:52:47 pm »
did a buildclean today (subbed to me at hourly rate by contact co.) turned up with usual gear to do job but this time instead of the usual mix of mortar ,sticky blue pads and self adhesive labels i was confronted with what looked like .....well varnish i spose i cant think of how to describe it really but it was a hard and sticky film all over the glass inside and out and nothing i had with me would touch it  ::)I ended up driving to a diy store and buying meths turps and white spirit .The spirit worked best but hardly ideal v time consuming and messy .Has anyone ever come across this before ??? ???I have done a fair few buildcleans before but this was a real mare of a job any ideas advice ???

NWH

Re: windowvarnish??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:51 pm »
I have had loads of these in the past and what i do is rub them over with a cloth covered in meths and then soap up the window with an applicator and then gently scrape,doing it without scratching will require that you change the blade about every 10-15mins.Also put a neat strip of whatever solution you use down your cover as the meths will eat through the detergent in no time to the point where you`ll think you havn`t any in the water.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 06:05:04 pm »
All these methods are all very well, but if you're thinking of continuing after as a regular job, consider what problems you're storing up for yourself.

I did a job last week where the painters had washed the windows down with white spirit and it was a mare :o

I couldn't get rid of the oily film on the glass, and it dried with a white film all over.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:09:16 pm »
cheers  will try that if ever get it again,i used cloth with spirit to soften then nonscratch scourer to break it up a bit then scraper and yes i kept having to change the blade too.what the hell is it tho ???

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:15:19 pm »
All these methods are all very well, but if you're thinking of continuing after as a regular job, consider what problems you're storing up for yourself.

I did a job last week where the painters had washed the windows down with white spirit and it was a mare :o

I couldn't get rid of the oily film on the glass, and it dried with a white film all over.
luckily i wont have that problem and i must admit i dont think white spirit is a good idea(i had to use old rags to dry each window down then went back after and cleaned em with hot water and fairy)and i have chucked the applicator sleeve away it still has a smell and feel of spirit on it

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:01:51 pm »
bump for ian :)

MNWC

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:05:29 pm »
I Thought you learnt your lesson on builders cleans young man !!!

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:10:31 pm »
Mr Thorpe, did you try the isopropanol on it?

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:44:02 pm »
marcus look at the date ;) this was the last one back in jan
djw,no i spent a day on it and managed to do 8 upstairs windows and a set of french doors
NEVER AGAIN >:(

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:33:37 pm »
and again

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 10:50:20 pm »
cellulouis thinners works a treat for this type of work .
where theres muck theres money