This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: Marketing?
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:02 pm »
Davo, are you a genuine windowcleaner yet?

macmac

« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2008, 11:55:40 pm »
Got to say davo, i'm very dissapointed, there was a tiny, tiny, part of me just begining to think i may have missed your whole point before but no, i could have typed your post for you. it contained exactly what i thought it would. Predictable, desperate salesman's patter. the type that people get at their door every other day & are well conditioned to. It may well have some success in other areas of business but IMO it's not the right approach for this one.

This is what we see every week on rougue traders ( the predictable, desperate bit).

only IMO ofcourse. ;)

Tony

mattywig

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2008, 12:46:34 am »
Awesome thread!!! started reading it at about half nine and now its 2moro and im going to be done in for work!  mark and tony's little soap opera (excuse the pun) beats eastenders handsdown!! I love tony's general attitude to life but I can't knock mark for his attitude to making money if someone is prepared to pay and you can convince them that they are getting value for money then it's all fair game to me.  However the question on everyones lips is: Mark, are you David Brent in disguise?? ARE YOU DAVID, ARE YOU DAVID, ARE YOU DAVID BRENT IN DISGUISE!!  Im certain you are going to pull out an online guitar and start singing us motivational songs about price conditioning!!! lol lol  ;D ;D

xxmattyxx

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2008, 07:51:43 am »
Theres nothing in your services promotion to the customer Mark that isnt quite obvious to every cleaner on here to be honest.

I might have been wrong but the way you ramped up your previous posts suggesting you were going to explain something to us about sales I was hoping to have a blinding revelation of how to persuade customers to readily agree to purhase uPVC cleaning services that I'd failed to latch onto.

For me its: arrive ontime, appear smart/well turned out and appropriate bearing in mind the job we do, discuss the clients needs, assess pricing/time allowance/what I feel the job is worth, confirm their needs so Im sure I have that right, offer my price. They may say yes, they may say no on the spot. The may ring me, they may not.

Nothing more to it, think I said mostly this previously, we clean, we dont as Tony said elsewhere make bespoke furniture; I dont think I try to make out my services are in accordance with someone that does that; I'd hate to get a bad name for myself, a great deal of my work is through recomendation, through quality of work and pricing structure (VFM)

Matt

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2008, 07:52:48 am »
Davo is not IMO conning people, he was explaining a sales patter.
I tend not to offer Upvc sealing as I dont want to go up ladders yes it is a great idea as a one-off clean maybe, cant ever see regular customers having that done each time if they would I would start offering that today and get more staff in to do it.

Cleaning the frames ect which I do with wfp is a bonus for them but I used it to put up prices and it went over from trad  something like this.

We are now use wfp to clean your windows and for the next couple of months we will be cleaning all your frames free of charge (something we used to charge £35 upwards for)................2 months pass, would you like us to carry on cleaning frames is £2 extra but this includes the £1 price rise so really it will cost you a pound and cant cant be a bad deal can it...............not one has said it is a bad deal.

most sales is all a con you have to package it so they buy it you have toi get them to want to buy it so you change there mind tricking/conning/confusing the brain is what happens. "have you ever thoiught, why did I buY that" i know i have did i get tricked/confused I guess yes I did the sale of the item conned my mind. conning the mind against ripping people off is two different things IMO

I could have said I am charging £2 more from now on and cleaning frames, alot would have said dont worry about the frames which I have to do anyway I wanted to increase price so I packaged it a way I new would sell, i didnt rip them off as I was doing more work and alot cheaper than I did before.

I love Marketing, and sales gives me a buzz always has

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2008, 07:59:31 am »
I won't do it for a tenner, but i will explain that it can be expensive because it is very hard work, uses a lot of my pure water and takes a fair bit of time. My customers seem fine with that. I have thought that if you get one gullable enough to want your five star treatment then he will be fascinated to see you polish the upvc too (with what?). In which case it's going to take you all day to clean it anyway with your various stages and final polish etc etc.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2008, 10:06:52 am »
To me that was all sales patter and just trying to convince the customer into spending money and getting the most money for the job
Getting as much for a job as possible is not a bad thing but their comes a point where it just becomes plain ridiculous to try charging inflated prices i trade on my quality of work reputation and pricing charging a fair price for the quality of job done if i started spouting that kind of sales talk i would be embarresed and quite frankly wouldn't believe myself and that would come over to the customer and they would feel i was trying to rip them off
I think as regards sales talk i will stick to my honest reputation to get the money i want i feel alot more comfortable with it

Dean

richyp

« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2008, 12:56:29 pm »
what do you use to clean and seal ewen?

twt

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2008, 05:24:55 pm »
 davo how do you actually do the job if you get it for the top price?

richyp

« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2008, 06:55:09 pm »
where do you get that from ewan?

« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2008, 07:26:17 pm »
I was thinking again about Davos sales patter and it might be ok if you try it in a new area well away from home. Trouble is, in a small community where my round is based i've become friends with a lot of my customers who know me and my wife. There is no way i could use that patter on them or hike the price up to those levels. Soon as the husband comes home and works out your hourly rate he's likely to explode. I would lose everything.

Davo

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2008, 09:45:40 pm »
jdw....written down it looks like patter, but in real life its a conversation between two people. And I dont decieve the customer, thats not my way. If you read the script carefully its quite easy to justify every comment that you make. Quantify very busy, quantify value for money.

It is a very successful way for gaining business when done effortlessly, its something I do every day. In my particular business I dont have  to consciously think about the sales process , as I said before its a conversation between two people.

The finishing chemical, is a cleaning agent which leaves a chemically bonded coating which helps to protect the  UPVC from bird droppings, acid rain, colour fading from UV rays and the general pollutants in the atmosphere which may harm or dirty the UPVC. This chemical justifys a premium price as far as I am concerned.

Mark

richyp

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2008, 09:51:53 pm »
what is this chemical then?

Davo

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2008, 11:05:01 pm »

Richyp, at his moment in time,Im not prepared to divulge what the actual chemical is called or who makes it. ( and "the boys" out there will be thinking...ah another load of tosh, I dont care, its my USP>)

The information will be made available to certain members of the forum in due course.

Mark

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2008, 11:42:40 pm »

Richyp, at his moment in time,Im not prepared to divulge what the actual chemical is called or who makes it. ( and "the boys" out there will be thinking...ah another load of tosh, I dont care, its my USP>)

The information will be made available to certain members of the forum in due course.

Mark
fair play to you

mattywig

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2008, 11:43:39 pm »
Yes we do think it's tosh I guarantee you use your fingers to make inverted comma signs and think nothing of it!

Davo

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2008, 11:56:55 pm »
Yes we do think it's tosh I guarantee you use your fingers to make inverted comma signs and think nothing of it!

What are you talking about you muppet?

Mark

ronnie paton

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2008, 09:09:22 am »
davo dont worry about it most people think when you talk about window cleaning has a "business" and command high prices and are succesful you talk crap, the person that counts knows the truth!!!

macmac

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2008, 11:35:58 am »
I think this has been a good thread, a few different approaches to gaining & keeping work. It's often beneficial IMO to thrash out (so to speak) a few oppinions, then most people will be able to relate to one or the other. We could spend all day picking each others approaches apart but for me the main points are made.

Who's right between me & davo?  both of us ;)

For davo with a background in sales & equiped with flawless sales patter with the ability for it to just roll off his tongue, then i dare to say he would be quite convincing to the customer. ;)

As for others, this could be a dangerous strategy. Get the patter wrong & it could well spell disaster leaving you with a red face & a ringing in your ear. :o

Sometimes it's a mix of marketing techniques, for me the davo style is more for one off jobs or less frequent/larger work & the macmac style for regular work, the work you need to rely on month in month out where customer loyalty & relations is paramount & will, on it's own create more work.

Think we've all put some good points across, IMO marketing (if you want to call it that) in this job is quite different to other trades/products for many reasons & that has to be born in mind when trying to make a living at this game.

Me & Davo obviousley don't see eye to eye on marketing 100%, However i have still taken elements of his posts that i may well use in the future, so, at least i have some benefit from this thread, which is what these little (soap operas ???) are good for.

Respect :-*

Tony