This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Re: Recession
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 07:13:27 pm »
Carpet Guy

Will the pub do instead?

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Doug Holloway

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »
Hi Guys

Interesting posts.

There used to be two economic theories

Keynesism and Moneyterism, the former ruled until inflation surged and the latter was adopted by Mrs Thatcher.

Keynesism was based on spending to stimulate growth and Moneyterism on resticting money, probably what led to the last recession with sky high interest rates.

Cheers

Doug

carpet guy

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 07:26:16 pm »
Don't know the current rate for tilers, but it was £20 -  £36 per sq yd 20 years ago, a neighbour paid £600 for a bathroom recently.

sherco

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 07:39:23 pm »
Whats the going rate for tilers as a matter of interest.

I know a fella whos a tiler with an old van and as i see it a few quid worth of tools yet hes making plenty.  We have up to £20k of gear just to clean a carpet!!

Mark
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

sherco

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 07:45:14 pm »
Whats the going rate for tilers as a matter of interest.

I know a fella whos a tiler with an old van and as i see it a few quid worth of tools yet hes making plenty.  We have up to £20k of gear just to clean a carpet!!

Mark
You get set up for £2,000 with tools etc, but its knowing the tricks of the trade and being very fast fixing, i made £32,000 last year but like any business its having the contacts with builders, plumbers, architects etc. The rate is between £25 to £35 sqm.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

PaulKing

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 08:42:32 pm »
recession I vividly remember the 80's recession, we were never busier people don't buy new they make and mend and clean
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

martin19842

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 08:43:34 pm »
hi there

ok, stay professional keep your business lean and keen, and dontbe afraid to market.

many businesses chop their sales teams when recession bites, but that reduces your market exposure, therefore you must keep your marketing level high,  the more that you are out there the more chances you have of winning business, irrelevant of business type.

this is the time to revisit your existing clients, go through the quote file, re quote,
we are embarking on a mail marketing campaign a4 folders, letter, and four or five inserts, not cheap, but delivers a positive message, aimed precisely where we want to be, x number going out each week, over next 6 weeks.

be positive when you are with your clients, you can never sell when you put yourself under pressure.

yes people will disappear, gearing is essential, make sure that your cashflow remains positive.

yes it might get tight, but there will still be customers, its all about hunting them down and then closing the sale.

its just an opinion.

regards

martin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 01:50:04 pm »
Last year the Economy grew by 3%  Acording to the news despite doom and gloom leading Economists not government connected are predicticting
2% growth  this year

We have had Contionous Growth since the Housing collapse in 1992.

you only have a reccesion when you have minus growth not when things slow down a fraction.

I am amazed about 3% growth because the doom and gloom merchants were predicting a slow down this time last year.

With Computer proragrmes running the buying decisions on the stock exchange I wonder if Stock collapses areEngineered and the first sign of trouble so the Mega rich have a Chance of buying shares invested in my pennsion at at a discount

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 03:50:55 pm »
recession I vividly remember the 80's recession, we were never busier people don't buy new they make and mend and clean

same for us our best years were when the rate went up too 15% put alot of cleaners out the game as well

carpetworx

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 11:35:14 pm »
Great post everyone.Those that say the last recession was thier best years,what adjustments did you make,if any?

carpetworx

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 12:17:38 am »
 ???

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 05:26:02 pm »
Turns out the Crash was because of a Rouge Trader in France ditching 3.5 billion of stock.

The Fed in America did not know this thought the world was in melt down and slashed interest rates.

We will now see if they put them back up

If they did not panick dodgy loans could have been handled better as houses would eventually start increasing in value, although like the rest of us they might have to wait a year.

Why throw people out on street Forclose and then rent house back to them or someone else no need for Fire sales and panic

But it helps to get rid of Bush

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 05:32:37 pm »
Bush and now Brown are a bad combination, Blair when you saw through the smoke screen was a good actor but I'm afraid this is politics of the future!

My old school teacher once said to me that Americans elect presidents if they like the man not the policies and I'm afraid Tony Blair was partially in that albeit John Major (a proper politician) didn't help with his greyness.

One thing is for sure we need a general election to freshen things up as the nation needs a feel good factor and it could be around the corner May 2008.

Shaun

carpetworx

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 11:50:16 pm »
I'll just keep my thoughts to myself then shall i? :-X

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 10:47:11 am »
Great post everyone.Those that say the last recession was thier best years,what adjustments did you make,if any?

I had spent my life in retail managment opened a shop went bankrupt lost house went begging door to door for various companies moved out of cardboard box, and rebuilt my life.

carpetworx

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 12:41:44 am »

I had spent my life in retail managment opened a shop went bankrupt lost house went begging door to door for various companies moved out of cardboard box, and rebuilt my life.
Thanks Ian,i meant those that were in CC at the time.I was in real estate then,interest rate was 17%,tough times indeed.