Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bill Robinson

rug bench
« on: January 20, 2008, 08:17:39 am »
just wondering do many of you lot use a bench to clean rugs where can i get a large bench to do this
bill

carpet guy

Re: rug bench
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 08:37:00 am »
Not sure what you mean by a bench !  There's a cellular rack which allows soiing to fall through when vacuuming, or watr to pass through when soaking

colin fitch

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:28:12 am »
Not  to many people usuing at the moment, not sure where you can purchase one, but you could have one fabricated to your requirment to suite the width of rugs you require to clean[ makes life easier on the back]

carpet guy

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:43:02 am »
What exactly are you guys talking about............rugs come in a huge variety of sizes and lifting the rugs is more likely to damage your back than cleaning on the floor.

liahona

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:03:01 pm »
As Rob has said.  What are you talking about?  Not that I have seen everything to do with cleaning rugs but I have never heard of a bench to assist.

Best, Dave.

lands

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:32:36 pm »
They use them at Olney Rugs. The rug is passed over the top whilst cleaned (with hand tools) and as it is lowered on other side the dryer hits it. Give Mike (I think thats his name) a bell. He is very helpful.

Pete

liahona

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »
Pete.  I looked at the web site but it is just a rug on a bench.  I am sure thats not what either you or Bill meant but if it is then ok.   I wouldnt clean a rug that way but then thats me.

Best, Dave.

lands

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »
Not seen it myself Dave. But I think the main reasons they use it are for efficiency because they do so many, comfort because they do them all day long (they only use hand tools and they, like you, always wet clean) and also for drying. As the rug drops over the edge of the bench it immediately comes into contact with the air from the dryer.

This is roughly what I remember him telling me about their process. They do also use the rug badger first though. I'm sure he said they charge around £3-4 per sq ft but they don't collect or deliver. Guess they are making a tidy living out of it.

Pete 

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »
I use a large patio table or tables

Has anyone got a picture of the vac racks you use

carpet guy

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 01:10:13 pm »
The " grid " on the floor of Olneys is similar to what I was referring to and allows the heavy grit, etc to fall through. The rug being vaccuumed, I think, appears to be on a large table !

If you were to use hand tools at that height you will get a very sore back, due not only to the stooping forward, from an upright position, but from the  downward pull of the hoses.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

Whatever method you use, if you collect / return you will need decent sized premises about the size of a two car garage. However, it's good to experiment and a single garage wll cope, if you stick to small / medium domestic rugs.

Bear in mind..........some rugs cost an awful  lot of money........don't gamble with them.

lands

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 01:12:35 pm »
I thought the racks were for the rug badger?

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 01:19:21 pm »
Maybe they need to rethink their whole system-If they didn't use handtools they wouldn't need a bench!

With regard to a dusting grate. I see in the states rolls of vinyl duckboard are very popular. Can be used for pit cleaning too.

liahona

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 02:59:27 pm »
What they have got going obviously works well even though it isnt the way I would do things.  But I am sure out of 10 people there would be 5 different ways of doing things.

Just for me, the bench looks like too much hard work on the back for a result that can be better gotten in an easier fashion.  An opinion of course.

Best, Dave.

maxcarpets

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 04:26:33 pm »
Go to argos and buy a couple of the double clothes rails on wheels, brilliant! Clean rug using hand tool then wheel the stamd wherever you like to dry. Works for me.

Cheers

Justin

carpet guy

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 06:31:02 pm »
The rack serves the same purpose, whether it's the Rug Badger, or a vacuum, allows grit, etc, to fall through.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:34:01 am »
What we need is pictures.

What might be worth a try is seeing if we could get L Wagner ( Cant remember her first name) to write a piece giving us some details  not just hot air trying to sell a subscription.

Also I think there are some videos on Rug Badger site but could not get them to work.

lands

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 11:47:33 am »
Ian,

Some of us (Doug, Jason H, Ken Wainwright) saw a live demo of the badger at the CCDO last year and they used it on a rug that looked clean. When they lifted the rack there was at least 2cm of soil on the sheet. Have to say though, the machine looked like something that someone with a bit of engineering know how could knock up in a garage for a fraction of the cost.

Pete

Jason Hedges

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:02 pm »
Ian,

Some of us (Doug, Jason H, Ken Wainwright) saw a live demo of the badger at the CCDO last year and they used it on a rug that looked clean. When they lifted the rack there was at least 2cm of soil on the sheet. Have to say though, the machine looked like something that someone with a bit of engineering know how could knock up in a garage for a fraction of the cost.

Pete

And most of us joked we didnt want to win it in the free draw as we had to pay the carriage on the beast from the states :o.

Looked like a decent bit of kit and did exactly what it said on the tin. Combined with the metal mesh underneath it really beat the dry soil debris out of the rug on the demo and showed what can come out.

As you say though Pete some people may be able to knock something similar up using an old host machine and some leather straps.

Wouldn't want to be anywhere near it though if it went wrong ;D.

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 11:47:11 pm »
Outdoor large rubber mats with holes in are ideal for cleaning and vaccing rugs for a fracton of the price of a metal rack and are more managable,i bought 4 and use cable ties sometimes to bind them together . http://www.grassmats.co.uk/grassmats-38-p.asp

Mark

Jason Hedges

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 11:54:20 pm »
Nice link Mark,

Thanks for that, looks like it could do the same job at a fraction of the cost!

All the best,
Jason.