Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stevekennedy

WFP and barred windows
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:18:01 pm »
I am wondering how best to do these.

Does anyone use these swivel joints for this?

Does anyone have any other techniques?

Re: WFP and barred windows
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:23:36 pm »
I am wondering how best to do these.

Does anyone use these swivel joints for this?

Does anyone have any other techniques?
I have a block of flats with these on bit of a nightmare, but I get the brush and pole sideways on like this  |---------- then turn pole back to normal position if that makes sence, is a pain but i dont know any other way.

if someone has better way please say  ;)

LWC

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 06:32:30 pm »
yep, thats what i do, although you forgot the, "RAM it through the bars" bit lol

stevekennedy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:45:52 pm »
Thanks guys.

I am thinking of the wagtail type squeegies. When you twist the pole, the squeegie twists left and right.

Anyone think of a way to do this with a brush?

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 06:52:23 pm »
yep, thats what i do, although you forgot the, "RAM it through the bars" bit lol
lol I have found I dont have to do that now  ;D fits perfect, first couple of times I did  ::) now it is like clockwork  ;D cost loads of time to start with and I charge more for them now learnt that the hard way   :-[  ;)

stevekennedy

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:59:13 pm »
The side on technique is fine for first floors but we have been asked to clean a block of flats that has them up to 5th floor  ::)

Must be a better way  ???

geefree

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 07:01:48 pm »
stick the brush through the centre opening  of the bars, then move your body  right to left then left to right, cleaning up and down as you go,  then pull brush out and rinse from outside the bars,

its easy and takes no time at all

Gary.

stevekennedy

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 07:22:38 pm »
The problem I have is getting the brush through the bars on second floor and above.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 07:51:52 pm »
The problem I have is getting the brush through the bars on second floor and above.

If you have a lot of them windows behind bars you could always use a small Vikan swivel brush which eases through them dreaded railings.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 07:54:43 pm »
stick the brush through the centre opening  of the bars, then move your body  right to left then left to right, cleaning up and down as you go,  then pull brush out and rinse from outside the bars,

its easy and takes no time at all

Gary.
you have to clean the bars if doing that, or you asre spraying dirt on the window, I know this as I did this the first time and went back to check on the job as it was my first time on a whole block of flats and didnt want to mess it up.

stevekennedy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:36:09 pm »
I was thinking that but wasn't sure how much dirt on the bars would matter?

I have one of the multiposition vikans. Might try using that. But then you need to put it through each bar individually. Would take a while.

There are approx 180 barred windows and 420 standard windows on 4/5 floors.
Would like to be able to use a standard brush, then we can just work our way accross the building in one pass

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 08:43:42 pm »
I was thinking that but wasn't sure how much dirt on the bars would matter?

I have one of the multiposition vikans. Might try using that. But then you need to put it through each bar individually. Would take a while.

There are approx 180 barred windows and 420 standard windows on 4/5 floors.
Would like to be able to use a standard brush, then we can just work our way accross the building in one pass
I have not counted the bars on the flats we do, I use a standard vikan, I have to change twice per pane (patio doors the smaller ones I splay the brush and that gets it.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 10:21:40 pm »
What about fitting 4 spray jets on your brush and spraying from behind the bars :)

NWH

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 10:30:12 pm »
Spraying them from behind the bars does not really work i`ve tried it and you`ll only get away with it every other clean.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 10:36:48 pm »
Thanks guys.

I am thinking of the wagtail type squeegies. When you twist the pole, the squeegie twists left and right.

Anyone think of a way to do this with a brush?

With the facelift brush you can slightly loosen the nut securing the brush attached to the gooseneck.
What you do is rest the brush against something horizontally like the underneath of a sill or railing and move the pole (at the bottom) to your left so the angle of the brush alters from horizontal to vertical. It's safe, I do it sometimes. It's similar to using a swivel adaptor.  It will fit through some bars vertically and because it's a large brush head it cuts down scrubbing time. It's best used on large panes of glass.

stevekennedy

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 10:57:46 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.

I am wondering if a side to side swivel on the gooseneck might work?

Could be annoying for the other windows.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 12:39:57 am »
Thanks for the tips guys.

I am wondering if a side to side swivel on the gooseneck might work?

Could be annoying for the other windows.
thinking of trying that myself, have a go with it and let me know who you get on   ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 08:11:56 am »
Plastic adjustable gooseneck + swivel + bentley brush = result.

stevekennedy

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 05:14:14 pm »
Hi DJW

How do you fit everything together and what technique do you use?

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 06:18:44 pm »
Everything just screws together? Then turn the brush sideways by twisting your pole 90 degrees, through the railings twist it back clean as normal, move your position a bit more left to right to get a wider angle, rinse off twist the pole and so on.