Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Joe H

Re: Running Portys from a van
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:28:34 pm »
No

perhaps I should have a potty in my van tho!

JS2

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:39:26 pm »
From previous posts it sounds like this is inefficient, unless the hose lengths can be kept to a reasonable minimum, which is unlikely.  Then there's the issue of clean water fill up and waste disposal.  The front door is probably the next port of call and from this location all factors greatly improve.  Any thoughts of a budget TM seem unreasonable.

Regards

Pete (JS2)

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 08:51:06 pm »
Some years ago I tried this, but after a few attempts gave it up as a bad idea.
The biggest problem: Carrying the buckets into the back of the van. So as said earlier it got moved to the front door which eased the problem no end.

Kev Loomes

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 09:40:09 pm »
Works to great effect for us. We run a Mytee in the van for normal houses (3 bed semi's etc) without any problem. For bigger mansion type places we take it inside for obvious reasons. The best of both worlds ;D

We have a 250ltr tank fed into the Mytee using connections that are detatchable and feed it via a 12v 100psi pump. Waste is simply discharged using dump hose.

Will be using the same set up when we get round to upgrading to a prowler.

Kev

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:54 pm »
What's the big deal? if you have a midi size van you can park up within 10ft of where you would plonk it anyway. If it's not possible then you always have the option to take it out.

50ft of 2" hose plus a 1.5" short whip would allow you to do the average semi no probs.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:24:37 pm »
we used extracta excell from our van for about two years on 100 ft of hose no probs at all, filled from a water tank in van, occasionally it needed to come out for bigger properties or awkward parking, but can be done effectively.

In fact although we run a tm now have thought about doing this with a second van as is the next best thing.

regards
steve

carpet guy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:35:01 pm »
Gary ( Cleaning Co ) posted photos of his van and details of his storage tank, water pump, in line heater on here a couple of years ago  He had linked two machines withn his little Diahatsu and could take it to places others couldn't access.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 11:06:49 pm »
Just watch out for weight restrictions, when I worked at a Cleaning Company we had a Suzuki and one of the other cleaners tipped it over when he was carrying water to go to a job where they had none.

Shaun

Jason Hedges

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20:48 am »
I looked into this before upgrading to a t/m.

The expence and complications of running an electrically powered rig compared to buying a truckmounted machine were minimal.

Being able to offer a completely mobile cleaning solution not dependant on electric or hot water being supplied was crucial to my work (lots of end of tenancy cleans).

If you need to work quickly and give good results a t/m is perfect.

I agree you can give as good a result using a porty, it just takes a lot longer!

My advice is: If you've got the work to justify a t/m, go for it!!! ;D

All te best,
Jas.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:41:56 am »
Kevin,

When you upgrade to your prowler, I would recommend upgrading to a 400ltr tank as well

Bill Robinson

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:06:15 am »
i use extracta excel from the van its a nissan vannet i just fill it by hand
bill

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:59:10 am »
Bill

Can't you get a tank in the Vanette? Not filling with buckets and independence is a key reason to put it in the van.

Mike

Kev Loomes

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 10:50:50 am »
Just watch out for weight restrictions, when I worked at a Cleaning Company we had a Suzuki and one of the other cleaners tipped it over when he was carrying water to go to a job where they had none.

Shaun

If it was one of those small Suzuki van's then I'm not surprised ::) We run a Renault Trafic - 2900kg weight limit. Did the owner not check that it was safe?

I looked into this before upgrading to a t/m.

Being able to offer a completely mobile cleaning solution not dependant on electric or hot water being supplied was crucial to my work (lots of end of tenancy cleans).

Know what your saying, but the only thing we have to do really is run the cables - the rest is self sufficient and we have heat ;D

Regards

Kev

Doug Holloway

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 11:17:01 am »
Hi Guys

There are strict rules about running electric cables actross public thoroughfares, maybe someone can elabourate.

Cheers

Doug

carpet guy

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 11:47:41 am »
Strict rules about ;  Parking
                               Water usage
                               Water waste dumping
                               Loose cargo
                               Placing warning signs
                               Trailing hoses / Cables
                               Etc
and one that just occurred to me. Was legislation not introduced about running an engine in a static vehicle. Yes I know it was probably aimed at the vehicles driving engine, but !!!!!!!!!!!!

Trailing cables could be a major problem. In Spain last year contractors went to extaodinary lengths to " protect " the public by not only Sheathing cales with high visibility covers, but fencing / caging them in.

Then again, a smaller smaller van could be easily parked in a driveway, or if the machine had the portable option the probems simply don't exist.  Bring on the Prowler.

davep

stevegunn

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 04:13:33 pm »
I have never need to run prowler out of the van but know some have.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 04:21:07 pm »
Steve

I know Johns a mate but how good is the Prowler performance and whats it like on upholstery.

Cheers

Doug

mark_roberts

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 04:32:21 pm »
I would imagine taking the prowler out of the van is a bit like taking vac motors out of the advantage as was designed.  Its a pain in the butt.

Mark