Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stevegunn

Re: Running Portys from a van
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 05:05:41 pm »
Steve

I know Johns a mate but how good is the Prowler performance and whats it like on upholstery.

Cheers

Doug

Performance is as good as the blazer I had,Obviously it has it limitations say against a boxer 421 but then you haven't paid £14000 for one of those.A lot better than an electric portable.

On upholstery with cfr tool can get suite dry in 2 to 4 hours depending on fabric sometimes quicker.

It's a 2 man job to take it out of the van,me and my 15 year old son manage to take it out no bother.

Kev Loomes

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 06:02:22 pm »
Hi Guys

There are strict rules about running electric cables actross public thoroughfares, maybe someone can elabourate.

Cheers

Doug

Wouldn't do that anyway Doug. Most of the time its on a private drive, if on the odd occasion we had to park in a street it would be taken inside. Common sense I guess ;)

Kev

Chris R

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 08:05:33 pm »
Not my set up.  ;)
Just an example of an electric machine running from the back of a van.
Aux fresh water and waste water tanks are fitted.
regards
Chris
Staffordshire

Chris R

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 08:07:01 pm »
more
Staffordshire

mark shannon

Re: Running Porty's from a van
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 08:55:51 pm »
I really can not see the point of running a Porty from a van you loose performance with the extra hose lengths. How long really does it take to whip your Porty of the back of the van and fill a couple of buckets which gives you a chance to chat to the custy and ask for referrals.

carpet guy

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 09:02:35 pm »
It saves your back, saves you time.

Every time I see the Recoil it reminds me of the Stimvac, which I just found out, is still being made in the UK, surprised they have'nt increased the power to match the imports.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 09:08:22 pm »
Mark

There is this strange assumption that literally 10ft of extra hose will make such a humongous difference that somehow you are going to do a percievably worse job. I don't think that is the case especially if you use 2" hose.

The time saved setting up can be easily 10-20% of the job. And I don't know how many times I've been thwarted by a p1ss weak boiler and low pressure supply. Not to mension custy washing up her breakfast  at the sink when I just want to get on.

With regard to costs that have been raised. If you have a decent porty already what is required?

A decent sized van, water tank, pump er and probably one or two other things, but generally nothing major.

carpet guy

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »
I know from experience it's feasible to run 200 feet from a twin vac and even 150 feet, from a single, 3 stage vac. Adding an inline heater would obviously be of benefit.

This would be exceptional circumstances, but the modern powerful portable has a lot going for it and represents exceptional value for people who will be 99% domestc cleaners.

There is a market for all methods, machines, chemicals, in this industry and whether people make choices according  to their  budget, or knowledge, or physicality matters nought, it's what they do, with their equipment that matters.

Bill Robinson

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 08:16:05 am »
Bill

Can't you get a tank in the Vanette? Not filling with buckets and independence is a key reason to put it in the van.

Mike
mike what would i need to do it is it easy to set
bill

mark shannon

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 09:46:23 am »
Carpet Guy  the Recoil is a ugly beast. I also have inch hose which i often use at75-100 ft and agree its not all about power and a good cc can get the best from any machine.

If i had a bigger van i would probably, looking at some of your impressive setups, give van mounting ago.

At least we have the choice to remove as needed.

Thinking about it van mounting would be a benefit in this weather and safer maybe i am just a jealous wet carpet cleaner :'(

carpet guy

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 11:09:07 am »
Mike
I don't have a van mounted portable, but have run hoses for long distances in large properties, with the machine outside.

Some others have been very successful in running from their vans, particularly Gary ( cleaning co ) who ran two linked portables, with aux water tank and pump installed .

Regarding the Recoils looks............I agree, but, if a square box on wheels does the job better than  a sleek, painted cutie, I know which I'd go for!

gwrightson

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 12:09:33 pm »
Just thought i would add my 2 penny,s worth to this post, having read with interest over the last couple of days,

I for the last couple of years regularly ran my porty from my van , a raptor 100ft no prob, heat good, pressure good ,  the advantage been it did save the hassle of unloading , loading etc, the disadvantage been you still have the problem of filling buckets, electric cables and extension cables , eespcially in the rain.
It did a good job, custy was happy and i was happy , and if I needed to unload  then so be it.

Having said this, I now run a t/m and I can see why a true t/m is called a t/m the time and effort saved is so advantagious I am not really looking forward to the day I have to get my porty back on the road,
" Tks Mike , for that referal ;) "  in other words what I am trying to say is , by al means run your porty from your van, i cannot see any reason why not! it will save you time .

One thing is for certain though, t/m is effortless and I am pleased I took that step, please dont think Im knocking porty owners , far from it as you will see from previous posts in the past the issues that have been raised.

geoff, H/C now 15
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 01:06:58 pm »
If you got a decent inline heater a lot of customers have a hose pipe  so use that to fill.

After ive done a room I like to check machine anyway so empty refil with hose pipe away you go again whats the problem.

When I met Dave agrere he was near end of job by time I got their shame but he had his lad doing the work and he was playing with his truckmount.

A little unfair as I know they cleaned a lot of carpets that day.

Dave must be do for a reclean  I like to spend a bit longer with ypu ;D ;D

Despite there being 7 truckmounts within 7 miles of the Gig Dave got the job and he is in Bristol