Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JS2

Re: OBSESSION WITH POWER
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 07:16:38 pm »
People

Isn't it just the case that there are so many variables involved that no two situations can be reliably compared ?  Operator skill, machine (which could be relatively basic but nevertheless of 'professional' capability), drying conditions, chemicals, spray pressure, vacuum: series/parallel motors x1, x2 , x3  . . . etc . . .

At the end of the day what counts best is doing a commendable job.  POWER is what launches rockets, quality is not proportionate in this field.

Regards

Pete (JS2)

gwrightson

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 07:23:33 pm »
Actualy, power is what turns on a porty, and your buffer, etc,

launching a rocket just takes a little more power,

Now I wonder why that is.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geoff

who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

davep

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 07:24:59 pm »
Just how much faster is a tm than a porty, surely its down to the operator  ???

prodry

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 07:38:49 pm »
This TM v Porty issue has raged on for to long. I suggest the only way to settle it would be an arranged fight, say next weekend in the carpark of Watford Gap Services, noon.

No need to RSVP just turn up. Bring packed lunches as the service stations a rip-off and strickly no weapons apart from wands.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 08:30:22 pm »
Just how much faster is a tm than a porty, surely its down to the operator  ???

no mate its not far from it , i need my mother front roon with the t.m. in about an hour and with the porty it takes two hours  >:(

i dont think this is a porty v t.m.  its more to do with do you realy need a 500 psi porty and three vacs or are the suppiers fueling a toy crush same can be said for t.ms is a top of the range h.m. as good as a low range prochem ???

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 08:44:07 pm »
Once had a customer who I had done work for and he was expecting a TM (the bloomin thing had just broken down) so I went with a porti and dry fusion, the carpet looked the same as it would with a TM clean but took 2.5 hours not the 1 hour I had planned, the guy said he was disappointed in the cleaning as I didn't bring the TM so I did it for free.

Ok it's the only one from memory I have had but now my customers expect the big machine but also the big price that comes with it.

Shaun

Jason Hedges

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 11:10:06 pm »
Fu%k me rob that'll get some tense argument going. Taking kids to a bday party and look forward to the 15 responses this'll have had by 6.30pm when I get back.

Pete

Ha ha Pete ;D,

You're showing your age mate!

Looking forward to a post on carpet cleaning on a Friday night! If only your mates could see you now ;).

The all-nighters have long gone, same here ;D.

All the best,

Jas.

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 02:12:52 am »
I like the fist-o-cuffs idea.

It's funny to see the Porty vs: TM debates, it's not the same here in the states, we have Lots of customers with portys, I've pimped out quite a few for more kick, most the guys here are jsut trying to make the best of what they have, and most of them are looking forward to the time they can move into a TM.

If you run a porty and haven't acquired some 2" vac hose and plumbed in a 2" hose barb...do so for starters.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 12:18:17 pm »
I've lost count of the number of times I've wheeled my porty in only to get an exclamation from the lady of the house "that's a big one!"
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Joe H

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 12:36:42 pm »
OK - for the uneducated (ie me) what is a 2" hose barb that Jeoff Lydon talks of.
I dont want to miss out the understanding of this - interesting.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 12:42:47 pm »
its the connection on the front of a portable where you fit your vac hose to, it will proberbly be a 1-5inch 'barb' re-drill your mchine and try and it a 2inch 'barb'

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 12:47:40 pm »
Thanks Mike - I know the option is there for the Scorpion.

What about the other end?
I understand 2" hose is heavy and is not as flexible.
Does that get reduced to 1.5" and if so do you loose out on the advantage of 2"

Mike Halliday

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 01:01:22 pm »
I go 2inch all the way and don't find it too awkward, apart from in bedrooms

some use a 10ft 'whipline' of smaller hose.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 01:20:54 pm »
but is their a disadvantage in dropping down size, even for 10'

lands

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 01:37:08 pm »
Fu%k me rob that'll get some tense argument going. Taking kids to a bday party and look forward to the 15 responses this'll have had by 6.30pm when I get back.

Pete

Ha ha Pete ;D,

You're showing your age mate!

Looking forward to a post on carpet cleaning on a Friday night! If only your mates could see you now ;).

The all-nighters have long gone, same here ;D.

All the best,

Jas.

Your not wrong son.She's going to see the Spice girls (for the 2nd time on Tues) and I'll be watering me tomatoes. Ja fancy you and me organising the CCDO this year as Trevor not doing? Perhaps we can get Prochem to donate an upholstery tool for a bus. card raffle (obviously the condition will be that you buy there biggest porty to go with it.

Pete

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 05:11:02 pm »
but is their a disadvantage in dropping down size, even for 10'

Joe

Oneday we will find out.

As you frequent Cleantalk pop over and ask John and then let me know the answer, ;D

*paul_moss

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 06:45:25 pm »
Joe of course there is a drop off as size reduces, also you will need to use a 1.5 inch wand .

You get used to 2 inch pipe and although harder to use with a 2 inch wand, the diffrence in drying times is vast.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 08:49:55 pm »
In all seriousness, it doesn't take an engineer to realize choking a 4 lane highway down to a 2 lane country road will slow transit and cause a bottle neck. This is true with vacuum, water, air, etc...

Carpet cleaners are smart crafty folks, take a fresh look at your whole system, the answers are staring you in the face.

Now to address the specific question, if you run 2" pipe out to a 1.5" wand there is some restriction, but not as bad as a 10' whip of 1.5" as it's the smaller diameter x the linear feet (ie:10-14') that causes frictional loss on the airstream. When in doubt go BIGGER you won't look back.

ps: who said 2" hose is heavy?  less flexible maybe, but it's not really heavy, and you should know not ALL 2" hose is made the same, we spent 2 years getting the formula just right....If you ask HydraMaster nicely they just might bring some over.

carpet guy

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 09:25:31 pm »
Talking of Hydramaster, I read an article recenty attributed to them, about cfm in relation to inline or parallel vacs.

Suggested that the parallel people have got it right

rob

Smart , Crafty Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 11:27:10 pm »
Would that be they also sell portables I presume but do not know in parrell