This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rugby

slip hazard
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:58:03 am »
just finished my first house"late start today"and nearly broke my neck slipping on ice,the pure water was freezing almost as it was hitting the ground.dont fancy a customer breaking their neck so im back home in the warm.i know some of you put rock salt down but im just not taking the risk.

god i cant wait for summer,hang on though,all it did then was rain :'(

[GQC] Tim

Re: slip hazard
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:01:49 am »
Minus 6 here.  :o  :o  :o

(Guildford)

rugby

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:05:35 am »
-6 christ thats colder than here (gloucester)  mug of tea in front of the fire time i think  ;D

pingu

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 10:35:40 am »
I have been getting that here for the past couple of days and despite putting salt down...I have resigned myself to rescheduling as the water is freezing as soon as it hits the groud, cills, frames....

I like to earn money as much as the next man but there is a time to call it quits and go home...

Here I sit...all toasty..

Dave.

Davew

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:52:46 am »
Yep, and me all toasty ......... and skint! Letter from the taxman has just landed on the mat too.  >:( :( :( :(

Scrimble

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:49:06 am »
time to get your ladders out then

pingu

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 11:59:53 am »
Narh, just re-scheduled and have the day off... ;D

rs_cleancare

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 12:02:46 pm »
Went out this morning and noticed the same thing water was freezing on the ground.

I had promised a few customers there windows would be cleaned before christmas o well have wait till next year.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 12:10:59 pm »
I did a largish shop front just after 8 am.  It was -5 at the time but it had been
-6 until a few minutes before I started.  I wondered if the water would freeze on the glass.  It didn't but the squeegee definitely had more "drag" than usual.  I went to wipe the sills and the water had frozen solid on them.  I had a dental appointment about 10.30 so a ready made excuse to have a skive this morning (after 2 hours cleaning a car showroom and time spent doing the shop front).
Anyway, I'm going out to the garage in a minute to grab my bag of salt and earn a bit in what's left of the day.  There's no huge urgency as I'm upo to date with my work anyway.

m.b.s.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 03:11:48 pm »
its just above freezing in leeds had no probs today what so ever infact had no probs at all in this cold snap nothing froze as i rap everything in the van with an old quilt oh well shops tommorow then some poxy two story flats monday and thats me for xmas thank god what a mad week ;)

007 or what

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 03:22:26 pm »
Had the same thing this morning, patio's freezing  :-\
Costy asked if i wanted a cuppa, you bet. thought i'd rest my pole on there table.
When i went to pick up the pole had frozen to the table doh!!!

xxmattyxx

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 04:25:11 pm »
I wondered if the water would freeze on the glass.  It didn't but the squeegee definitely had more "drag" than usual.  I

Have you noticed you have to load the mop up more with water to wet the window more in this weather to get the squeegee to glide better?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 06:51:28 pm »
I wondered if the water would freeze on the glass.  It didn't but the squeegee definitely had more "drag" than usual.  I

Have you noticed you have to load the mop up more with water to wet the window more in this weather to get the squeegee to glide better?

I hadn't noticed that particularly.  Due to the large expanse of glass, this is a job where I am usually very wet with the water anyway (omly on the outside of course).  However, I did work a bit differently to normal.  I worked in much smaller sections just in case it started freezing up.  It didn't freeze on the glass but did start to freeze on the metal behind the squeegee rubber.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »
Patios and paths can become slippery at this time year without us adding to it. So it's good PR with the customer if you put rock salt down on them.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 09:43:39 pm »
Minus 4 and dropping again. Phew.