Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Roy Harding

See you in March
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:08:44 pm »
I had a customer pay me after I cleaned her house today and said, can you come back in March. The agreement was every 4wks, I said no problem. I then rang her when I got home, saying another customer in her area has asked me to clean every 4wks, but I cant do both. Do you mind if she has your spot on the round as she wants it Jan Feb and every 4wks. ;D She soon realized if she did not have her windows done regular she would be replaced, hence back to every 4wks.

You sometimes have to train your customers.

Roy

cat9921

Re: See you in March
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:31:09 pm »
You sometimes have to train your customers

;D ;D ;D ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:24:10 pm »
I had a customer pay me after I cleaned her house today and said, can you come back in March. The agreement was every 4wks, I said no problem. I then rang her when I got home, saying another customer in her area has asked me to clean every 4wks, but I cant do both. Do you mind if she has your spot on the round as she wants it Jan Feb and every 4wks. ;D She soon realized if she did not have her windows done regular she would be replaced, hence back to every 4wks.

Roy

Very diplomatic Roy - I'd have gone in shooting from the hip and let the chips fall where they may! (Mixed metaphor I know) - I bow to your wisdom!
It's a game of three halves!

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:44:51 pm »

Roy

A very good way of handling the situation,... I may try that approach myself!

Ian W

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:18:38 am »
Brilliant Roy. I will try to remember that for my not today customers.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:26:20 am »
I had a Winter canceller a few weeks back.  I had only done two cleans for them as well.  This hasn't happened for years now.  I made it clear to him that I would probably have more work by then and if that was the case, I would not be able to start cleaning his windows again (I wasn't entirely honest there because I have not got the slightest intention of working for him again).  If I was uncertain beforehand, the bit that made sure I wouldn't do his windows again was when he said "You'll do them".  I broke my own rule there and made a decision based on emotion rather than business sense because I decided there and then that even if I was short of work, I would not re-start for him in the Spring.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 08:30:34 am »
When I try things like that they say "Ok then, don't bother" ::)

My customers won't be dictated to. :(

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:37:33 am »
I had a Winter canceller a few weeks back.  I had only done two cleans for them as well.  This hasn't happened for years now.  I made it clear to him that I would probably have more work by then and if that was the case, I would not be able to start cleaning his windows again (I wasn't entirely honest there because I have not got the slightest intention of working for him again).  If I was uncertain beforehand, the bit that made sure I wouldn't do his windows again was when he said "You'll do them".  I broke my own rule there and made a decision based on emotion rather than business sense because I decided there and then that even if I was short of work, I would not re-start for him in the Spring.
I would start again in march and re price the job, for 13 months money, just say £10 for ease = £130 /8 = £16.25 that way you still earn the same  ;D

supernova77

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:54:49 am »
I had a customer who was £40 every 8 weeks.

When I cleaned their windows in the summer the woman asked if they could change to every 16 weeks. I said no, I didn't work like that - it was either every 8 weeks or nothing... She said OK continue every 8 weeks then. Their windows get filthy inbetween cleans as it is!

I cleaned their windows again the other day and I cheque arrived yesterday for £40 with a note inside saying "I will call you in the spring when they need cleaning again".

Well - They can call in the spring but I won't be going back to clean their windows!

Andy

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 08:57:31 am »
I had a customer who was £40 every 8 weeks.

When I cleaned their windows in the summer the woman asked if they could change to every 16 weeks. I said no, I didn't work like that - it was either every 8 weeks or nothing... She said OK continue every 8 weeks then. Their windows get filthy inbetween cleans as it is!

I cleaned their windows again the other day and I cheque arrived yesterday for £40 with a note inside saying "I will call you in the spring when they need cleaning again".

Well - They can call in the spring but I won't be going back to clean their windows!

Andy
charge then double  ;) why throw money away ?

supernova77

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 08:58:52 am »
charge then double  Wink why throw money away ?

Because I'm building my business on a solid customer base... Any messers get binned straight away... They will only cause problems in the future anyway.

As a business you will make more money in the long run if you have a stable customer base.

Andy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 09:09:58 am »

Because I'm building my business on a solid customer base... Any messers get binned straight away... They will only cause problems in the future anyway.

As a business you will make more money in the long run if you have a stable customer base.

Andy
stable foundations is right, but earning extra money is all part of business you use them to your advantage  ;)

supernova77

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:18:48 am »
you use them to your advantage  Wink

Thats what I used to think.

But, they become a pain when they phone up whenever wanting you to fit them in again!

As I say I will make more money in the long run if I now go out and replace them with a new reliable customer.

Andy

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 09:21:33 am »
you use them to your advantage  Wink

Thats what I used to think.

But, they become a pain when they phone up whenever wanting you to fit them in again!

As I say I will make more money in the long run if I now go out and replace them with a new reliable customer.

Andy
if they phone fit them in when it is the right time for you and not them, as I said use them, I do ok myself, but never say no to money being offered

stevekennedy

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 09:37:11 am »
easy solution. Just tell them that regular customers get 50 percent discount. I charge extra for initial cleans. If they start that stuff then they say the initial charge again. The initial charge tends to put these types off imo

nat

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 09:37:38 am »
I think you both have certain elements in what you say to be true...i personally wouldn't bin any money/business but i'm constantly building so that any customers that really take the mick will be binned but cause we're always building we keep getting more and more good and not so good people so the not so good ones get used to our advantage. I think it depends on what you want. If you want one decent round with decent people its easier to get to that level and keep it there but if your constantly building a business its gonna be a fact of life...so the morel of the story is use them until you don't need them anymore ;) sort outthe wheat from the chaf!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 05:01:03 pm »
When I try things like that they say "Ok then, don't bother" ::)

My customers won't be dictated to. :(

The trick, Squeaky, is to only try "things like that" when you are happy to lose the customer. And as Roy showed us all - there are diplomatic ways of doing it.

It's a game of three halves!

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 08:38:24 pm »
dont let custom dictate money or not .
where theres muck theres money

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 09:07:03 pm »

Andy

Andy I totally agree with you. I'd rather have a full round of genuine customers then half a round of chancers at a slightly higher rate with all the hassle that goes with it. Not only that but you regain your self esteem when chancers mess you around and you politely tell them that they're dumped. I want a window cleaning round I can rely on not a list of chancers at over inflated prices that will dump you in the end when they've found another muppet to clean them cheaper :)

rhys11

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 02:41:39 am »

Roy

nice one i will have to try that i had 1 today come back in march but if i do go back im putting £4 on to her bill anyway ;)
rhys