This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

martindrz400

hot water frezzing wfp
« on: December 18, 2007, 04:52:51 pm »
saw a window cleaner several days ago in cambridge early morning using laddders .noticed in his van he had a hot wfp system, when asking him why he wasnt using wfp he replied when set to warm to hot it freezes on glass in cold conditions is this right

Re: hot water frezzing wfp
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:55:53 pm »
saw a window cleaner several days ago in cambridge early morning using laddders .noticed in his van he had a hot wfp system, when asking him why he wasnt using wfp he replied when set to warm to hot it freezes on glass in cold conditions is this right
All water freezes when it gets cold enough, hot will go cold either on impact with cold windows or near after so yes it will freeze if cold enough.

stevekennedy

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 04:56:09 pm »
You can have a few drops left on the glass if it is phobic. They will sometimes freeze. You will be able to clean the window and rinse it though, no probs.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 05:02:08 pm »
I can`t see happening as soon as the water hits the glass when you`ve got a flow of hot water,maybe bits would freeze when drying but surley not when cleaning and rinsing.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 05:07:03 pm »
I can`t see happening as soon as the water hits the glass when you`ve got a flow of hot water,maybe bits would freeze when drying but surley not when cleaning and rinsing.
as I have never used hot water I am only going on what I think, but makes sence that when going up a hose that is laying on a freezing floor the water will cool, then when hitting a freezing cold window again will get colder, bring in the wind and ice will come, maybe not on impact but very soon after.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 06:23:55 pm »
I would be worried about cracking the glass if the water was hot enough to make a difference when cleaning, unless as you say Ian that by the time the water hits the window it's not that hot. I've seen a patio door crack because someone left a black briefcase leaning against it on a sunny but freezing cold winters day.

I like the idea of warm tools to work with on a freezing cold day though.

I'm probably talking out the top of my head.

Does it really make that much difference to the cleaning power? It doesn't appear to when I clean my car except to my hands. The car doesn't look any cleaner and dries only marginally faster.

Dale Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:10:00 pm »
The best thing about hot water is that it's nicer to use in this weather, and the hose reels are easier to roll up when hot/warm.
I have not noticed it freezing quickly when applied to the windows, but it does dry quick, so it could.
You definately get time to wash & rinse, so it's ok to use. I am quite surprised those guys were not using it. :o
Swindon, Wiltshire.

stevedale

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »
 :) :) :) :)think i,m aloud back on mate ......... do,nt you just love this cold , fresh weather ...... takes you back to the winters we used to have .........

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »
:) :) :) :)think i,m aloud back on mate ......... do,nt you just love this cold , fresh weather ...... takes you back to the winters we used to have .........
for sure, I am so glad I dont do much trad anymore  ;D

cat9921

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:18:52 pm »

If that was my system I would be well mad. Especialy if I brought it from Ionics and spent all that cash...

I remember one day, think it was about 4 years ago when I was trade, that my water froze to the glass and that was out of a hot bucket... Frosted instantly

Just had to leave it and start later

Does anyone know how hot the water gets in these hot water systems ?

macmac

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 11:09:26 pm »
It was -8 here yesterday & never got above freezing all day, i'm with ww on this one, even if the water was boiling it would have frozen very, very soon! ;)

tony

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 11:43:50 pm »
I've used mine in -5 a couple weeks ago with no problems on double glazed glass with the water at hosereel at 60degrees. I wouldn't use it that hot on single glazed though or old glass. There was ice on the sills which I brushed off, but I washed the glass fine with no problems and the water dried before it had a chance to freeze. Don't know what it would be like at -8 as it hasn't got that cold here

NWH

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 11:45:29 pm »
How hot is a cup of tea for comparison. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:48:33 pm »
Boils at 100 and drunk at about 80 degrees. BTW I wouldn't use tricoflex hose for connections around tank to heater. The red/blue food grade hose is better because it is much more rigid if using hot water.

NWH

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 11:51:32 pm »
If that`s the case Wayne i can`t see why people are worried about cracking glass especially double glazing,water at that temp on double glazing even in cold weather would not crack the glass but i could see problems on old thin glass.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 11:54:44 pm »
NWH:

I believe you are getting an Omnipole hot water unit soon. If you are then let me reassure you that it really is a good system and you won't regret it. I always speak my mind and tell the truth. If it was rubbish, I would tell you it's rubbish, but it's not. I'm very impressed with it.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 11:58:38 pm »
Is it easy to use and what`s cost to run a week,do you use minibore.cheers.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 12:01:02 am »
The reason I won't clean single glazed and old glass with HOT water is simply because the glass is fixed to the wooden frames with putty or is a very tight fit and hasn't got any room for expansion whereas double glazed units have. Old glass that expands with no room to expand will crack. You do get a warning if you listen carefully because you can hear the glass make a noise when it's trying to expand if you are using water that is too hot.
On really cold days what I do is pre heat the water in the tank to warm-ish so that when my hose is unreeled the water in the hose laying on the ground won't freeze inside. If I'm cleaning D/G units then I have no worries about leaving the heater continuously running whilst I'm working.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 12:10:12 am »
Is it easy to use and what`s cost to run a week,do you use minibore.cheers.

Yes it's easy to use. Yes I use minibore. I use to use 75psi pumps until they died on me. Now I use 100psi pumps. The flow rate is very good after the heater to the hosereel. The heater whilst running uses 1 litre an hour although when it's reached it's pre-set temperature it cuts out and comes on again automatically when the temperature has dropped.
I look at running costs this way. Using hot water has allowed me to work faster and recover the costs of running the heater in the first place. Secondly it doesn't let me down on very cold days so I'm able to work below freezing temperatures so I don't lose out on lost time off work through frozen hoses, etc. Also I don't have to take everything out of the van to store indoors when freezing or run the risk of leaving unattended heaters in the van which could be an insurance risk if the worst case scenario should happen. After all accidents are accidents for a reason. Pre-planning prevents, minimises accidents :)

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 07:42:48 am »
It was -8 here yesterday & never got above freezing all day, i'm with ww on this one, even if the water was boiling it would have frozen very, very soon! ;)

tony
:o :o :o thats cold  :-X