Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

poles apart

Ian Lancaster

Re: Dragon's Den!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 06:30:29 pm »
Their design is flawed for the application they are putting it too.
They will need UV to kill all the waterbourne bacteria otherwise killer deseses will still get through and injure the users.
I have been talking to charities and individuals in Africa for years with regard to tackling the world water problems.

Obviously Glyn knows what he's talking about, but can someone explain to me how a micro-organism which, although it is incredibly small is still made up of some millions of molecules, can pass through a membrane which can reject single molecules of dissolved solids?

mark dew

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 06:39:33 pm »
on Yahoo answers I asked what £20 would buy in India and someone said,
'a hooker'

for a week.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 06:51:30 pm »
Their design is flawed for the application they are putting it too.
They will need UV to kill all the waterbourne bacteria otherwise killer deseses will still get through and injure the users.
I have been talking to charities and individuals in Africa for years with regard to tackling the world water problems.

Obviously Glyn knows what he's talking about, but can someone explain to me how a micro-organism which, although it is incredibly small is still made up of some millions of molecules, can pass through a membrane which can reject single molecules of dissolved solids?
when you get to an atom then past that to light then it gets real technical  ::)

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 07:37:22 pm »

It doesnt prevent molecular sized objects, otherwise water itself wouldnt pass through ( 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen- h20 ) Dissolved solids are larger than molecules. These types of bacteria can be so small that they can exist in pure water with a reading of 000, thier presence won't affect the waters purity. Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Tim Rose

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 08:49:44 pm »
on Yahoo answers I asked what £20 would buy in India and someone said,
'a hooker'

for a week.

Hope she/he/it likes washing up. Plenty of it here.

TERRY AB

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 09:01:44 pm »
as glyn said ro is just the start ro doesn't take bacteria out of the water so it is useless for there aplication
I dissagree with that, when you look at the statistics of a R/O its says it removes all toxics from the water, I cant believe they would not know that and be on TV stating it will work, I believe the UV is only needed by static water. I am sure that it will work, water purification for campers, off road vehicles doesnt have UV just R/O and they use that water too.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 09:18:11 pm »
If the water is coming from a poor source then it needs a uv light to kill the bacteria. Thats what food production companies do with their RO systems. Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Tim Rose

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 09:54:38 pm »
You got to remember than in India outback and parts of Afica there is running sewerage in most towns and certinaly 'in the country', so it'll take a lot more than Ro to cure that. I wouldn't drink that stuff.

Old_Master

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 12:09:34 am »
Ro membranes remove between 90 and 98% of impurities depending on the membranes specification, its the percentage they dont remove that is the problem.
In the third World they dont have to worry about removing pesticides and detergents etc. as we do. The villans are pathogenic microrganisms which kill millions of people every year!!!!

When you think that more kids die every hour from drinking local water than people that were killed in the twin towers it puts it into perspective.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 07:27:44 am »
I think this would be better from Halfords, a handy shelf for a pump and battery as well!
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_162064_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_38193_crumb_63502_parentcategoryrn_38193

I have one of these in my garage that I bought for exactly that purpose. It is very light and holds a decent amount of water. A small battery and a pump will turn this into probably the easiest to use trolley on the market. The dry weight would be about 5kg.

I saw the Dragons Den program, my concern will be the units cheap construction being able to put the water under enough pressure as the membrane is passed through it to provide a decent rejection ratio. Also what happens to the waste water? If you collect 50 litres when you get home will you only end up with 20 litres? Also I always thought that RO membranes did not guarantee filtering out bacteria/microbes, which is one of the problems with their water.

Tim Rose

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 07:52:05 am »
Probably cheaper to air-drop crates of Coca Cola. Tastes better than water any day, and its fortified with sugar to help keep thier strength up.

stevekennedy

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 10:30:04 am »
simple solution? Just put some salt in first then put it through the ro. Or one of those tablets you get in camping shops.