Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

poles apart

Dragon's Den!
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:50:42 am »
Did anyone watch it last night. A reverse osmosis trolley which purifies 50 litres of water as it rolls for £20! Built for the third world but I'll have a few!
Rod

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/mediaplayer/players/bbc2/bb_rm_console.shtml?redirect=console.shtml&lang=en&nbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&ms3=4&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2&package=4588759&clip=s5ep9_clip2

LWC

Re: Dragon's Den!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 06:52:03 am »
i saw that, what a good idea!

poles apart

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 07:00:09 am »
Stick a pump on it and away to go! Makes you wonder how a trolley system can cost up to a £1000!

LWC

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:07:10 am »
i know, cant beleive all the dragons paid up!

50 litres too, would be superb...hmmm we need to find where we can get one

nat

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:05:06 am »
that doesn't use RO filter though Rosy. its just a simple carrier isn't it?

I  saw it last night. didn't they say that it would only last for 12 months. one fillup every month? or did i hear it wrong?

pingu

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 08:18:14 am »
Seeing as we get the good old BBC here in Holland I got to watch that also...I think the girl mentioned that the unit would last for aprox 1 year with a water trip per day and after the filter was used up it then stained any water in the unit red so that users would know that no filtering is taking place and the water would be unfit to drink.

Cheers
Dave.

*Chris Browne

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 08:19:11 am »
They also said that they had not actually built it yet, its still in design form.

Chris

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:22:20 am »
I doubt it would cost £20 over here.

Tim Rose

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 08:41:36 am »
In the uk cost would be around the £150-£200 i think.

Nat, no, this rolling thing just carries water, but that's  all the freedom trolley etc do, albeit with a pump/battey, not exactly difficult to lash together.

Whether trollies are much use beyond extremely rare instances of poor access is debateable anyway. I wouldn't touch a trolly of any kind as they are a waste of money. But if you must have one, I'd go for this camping one at £40, add a pump (£100) and battery (£50) and it's still going to touch £300++ with hoses and fittings and stuff.

Old_Master

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:58:48 am »
Their design is flawed for the application they are putting it too.
They will need UV to kill all the waterbourne bacteria otherwise killer deseses will still get through and injure the users.
I have been talking to charities and individuals in Africa for years with regard to tackling the world water problems.

Tim Rose

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 09:04:37 am »
on Yahoo answers I asked what £20 would buy in India and someone said,
'a hooker'

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 09:10:25 am »
on Yahoo answers I asked what £20 would buy in India and someone said,
'a hooker'

lol,

they have a very sound idea, unsure that they could make and profit with a £20 price tag.

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 10:35:44 am »
what if the person or user lived right near the water - theyd have to walk miles in circles to filter it. And it seems to only be 1 reverse osmosis filter they talked about so as you say it cant really remove everything harmful. Good idea though

bluez

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 11:12:34 am »
I watched DD and was very interested in the dye that would be released when purification was no longer being done due to aged fiters. This is a graet idea for some of the manufacturers who come on here to add value to their products, how many times have new users gone out cleaning with dirty water, I know that I have before I put in a water quality check system.

It also made me wonder if wheeling this can drive the purification system then surely our van mounted systems can be attached to the wheels of the vans to power the units.
hi

TERRY AB

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 02:59:06 pm »
It wont be anything for us WFP users, as it wont make enought water to
be of any real use, putting a pump on it wont work either as it works
differently from what we know, i.e. the movement of the drum will move the
RO filter inside (like a cork screw) pressing the water thru the filter.
Obviously with variations it could be made to work for us as well, but
why ? We dont have the same issues as a 3rd world country i.e. batteries, power
are all ample at hand.
I just wondered whether the poor people who will have to push it back to there
village will need to push it over/thru sand!, might be hard going (meaning they will
have drunk it all before getting home).
But as the Dragons realised if it does work it must be backed.

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 04:10:58 pm »
makes you think how 'good' weve got it in this country-

the die idea was good - but we have tds meters to checking the water so no need.

martindrz400

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 04:45:58 pm »
the trolley olnly brings the water qualitiiy down to drinking standard TDS would be about 100

Tim Rose

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 04:57:07 pm »
I thoght the third world was full of women with buckets on thier heads... why don't they carry on doing that but add a water purification tablet?

No need for fancy RO membranes for gods sake.

OVERKILL.

twt

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 05:14:14 pm »
as glyn said ro is just the start ro doesn't take bacteria out of the water so it is useless for there aplication