This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: Brush 'n' Scraper
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 12:23:59 am »
Hi Simon,
I find, strangely enough that when I've taken on a job that's not been cleaned in a long while that often very old bird muck will wash off with little effort. (not always)
However, often fairly fresh muck (a week or two) will stick like super glue. I've even wet it, give it a little scrub and let it soak for ten mnutes and it's still solidly stuck. and I want to move on to the next job but I can't till i've got out my other pole and scraper and done it the long way.

Hence the experiment!

stevekennedy

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 04:38:59 pm »

That's why I posted this thread. Bounce ideas off others. Often the obvious thing you don't see or others have been there, done that and either scrapped the idea or already improved it.

I had a simlair thought a couple of years back. I tried to think of a way fo fixing a cone to the back of the brush then you could put any tool up there.

I was shouted down pretty quick though.

Cleanitup was a not a happy place for WFP users back then   ::)

Where are all those trad cleaning hippies now? Yep, they are all water-fed.

1-0  8)

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 06:32:55 pm »
Would you believe, Window cleaners paradise today. No bird muck to speak of to try it on.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 06:35:34 pm »

That's why I posted this thread. Bounce ideas off others. Often the obvious thing you don't see or others have been there, done that and either scrapped the idea or already improved it.

Cleanitup was a not a happy place for WFP users back then   ::)

Where are all those trad cleaning hippies now? Yep, they are all water-fed.

1-0  8)
lol  ;) love it

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 06:48:58 pm »
Nice idea but how do you scrape a bird dirt at the edges of the window  ???

you could screw a block of wood to the back of the brush first, then screw the scraper to that - it would be like a sort of "stand off".  Then the scraper would be in contact with the edge of the glass but the brush would pass over the edge.

Cheers,

Ian

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:26 pm »
Just glue a scouring pad to the back of the brush at the edge:)

stevekennedy

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 09:51:56 pm »
Not a bad idea wayne. You could just glue a strip of it at the ends of the brush. Has to be a certain type though doesn't it. I think if it's white then it's ok. Not sure though  ???

Scraper would be quicker.

Must say that hot water does help a lot. Even so, you still need to scrub for a while with some bird dirt.

Think it depends what kind of bird it was and what it's been eating?

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 10:42:02 pm »
The birds round my way are like little vandals. You find one way of dealing with their muck and they find another way of making it difficult to get off. I'd swear sometimes they mix it with super glue. I actually broke a scraper blade a while back on one bit of muck.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 08:49:16 am »
Not a bad idea wayne. You could just glue a strip of it at the ends of the brush. Has to be a certain type though doesn't it. I think if it's white then it's ok. Not sure though  ???

Scraper would be quicker.

Must say that hot water does help a lot. Even so, you still need to scrub for a while with some bird dirt.

Think it depends what kind of bird it was and what it's been eating?

white is right  ;)

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 08:51:02 pm »
Tried my scraper idea a few times today and it wasn't too bad.

Works best dry. If muck is wetted first it seems to slip over the muck instead of getting under it. It doesn't create too much of a problem with the frames as the scraper holds the back of the brush clear of most frames. It deffo saved some time.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 09:13:04 pm »
I find wetting/soaking the birds mess and tapping the glass a couple of times helps a lot to remove it. I picked that tip up off of someone else on this forum. I think it was Dai. Whoever it was, it works, cheers :)

stevekennedy

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 09:59:55 pm »
I had to fit a scraper onto my pole to get rid of some egg sitting at 45ft. But I had to lower the pole, take the brush off, replace with swap top and scraper, then scrape it off, lower and put brush back on, then finally scrub the residue off. Got it done but what a hassle!

PS WOuld have maybe got rid of it with the Hot water but I was out of diesel and no time to leave the site to get some. Got the job done on time  8)

NWH

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 10:11:33 pm »
Just cut the end bit off of a applicator cover and stick that on your brush.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 12:28:19 am »
I had to fit a scraper onto my pole to get rid of some egg sitting at 45ft. But I had to lower the pole, take the brush off, replace with swap top and scraper, then scrape it off, lower and put brush back on, then finally scrub the residue off. Got it done but what a hassle!

PS WOuld have maybe got rid of it with the Hot water but I was out of diesel and no time to leave the site to get some. Got the job done on time  8)

Steve:

I bought a pair of nice size microfibre cloths, from Halfords, (one side is microfibre and the other side has a mesh on it ideal for soaking with TFR, then wrapping around your brush head, held in place with a couple of elastic bands), to remove egg at 45ft. Anything to make life easier. :)