This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M & C Window Cleaning

Brush 'n' Scraper
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:46:47 pm »
I've come across some really stubborn bird muck lately and have had to use a sraper attached to an ext'n pole to clear it b4 I could get the remainder off with WFP otherwise I'd have been there ages. As it was I wasted quite a bit of time with it.
Then the other day I was clearing some ice off the car with an ice scraper and found myself scraping bird muck off with it. An idea formed and this was the result. The screws are countersunk to avoid contact with the glass. Has anyone tried this b4 and if so, how well did it work?

Captain Scarlet

Re: Brush 'n' Scraper
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:49:06 pm »
very good idead!! It looks good on there too! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:50:09 pm »
I wouldn`t want to risk scraping without seeing what i`m doing at height,you`d be better off sticking a bit of scouring pad on the side of your brush,to be honest since going WFP the birds seem to have stopped s****** on them as much.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 05:55:37 pm »
NWH, Its a plastic sraper so it won't scratch the glass. A scourer is a good idea too. I wouldnt want to use a metal scarper though if I couldnt see the window, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 05:56:19 pm »
I'm suprised in a way that the WFP brush manufacturers haven't as yet tried this. Unless of course they have and it doesn't work. Can't see why it wouldn't though. I shall find out tomorrow.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »
Omnipole have it:

Luke

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:12:56 pm »
Must admit, if it works I'll probably change the screws for nylon ones to reduce the scratching risk. But I have countersunk them. That coupled with the angle that the brush is to the pole should make screw contact with the glass extremely unlikely.

The only thing I've come across that will scratch glass that we're likely to use is aluminium, a rusty scraper or grit embedded in our tools.

Davew

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 06:13:45 pm »
I normally just flip my Bentley (or Addis) brush over and scrape the glass with the plastic edge of the brush stock then flip it back over and carry on as usual.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:38:46 pm »
I do that with the brush edge also,it`s never normally that bad but the edge of the brush seems to do the trick.

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 06:47:51 pm »
  ::)No way would i even think about it could be costly when sctraching someones glass. Good thinking though
P&R Window Cleaning

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 06:50:19 pm »
I tried the brush stock once. Trouble was it had grit on it. Didn't notice till I put it to the glass and felt it start to scratch even at the end of the pole. Fortunately for me the window was a manky one in the first place.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 06:51:52 pm »
No way would i even think about it could be costly when sctraching someones glass.

I don't mean any offence P&R, but it is impossible for plastic to scratch non tempered glass, Luke

Davew

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 06:54:39 pm »
The Bentley brush has quite a sharp edge on it, i think a Vikan rubber edge might hold the grit more easily?

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 07:00:51 pm »
My vikan hasn't got the rubber but the edge is flattened off, so that was probably what allowed the grit to get under it. Hence the idea with the plastic scraper. Very hard sharp edge.

billygoat

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 07:01:24 pm »
Be careful using the edge of addis brush,I thought it would be good for bird poo,but ended up scatching the glass,so I won't be doing that again.

matt

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 09:26:46 pm »
another plus side to having a pole with the unger end on it, unger do a nice scraper ;)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 09:35:37 pm »
Jeff Brimble did a similar thing a few months ago,... I wonder how he's getting on with it,....................... Jeff????

stevekennedy

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 09:36:36 pm »
Nice idea but how do you scrape a bird dirt at the edges of the window  ???

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 09:52:59 pm »
Good point Steve,

Probably would've discovered that tomorrow. Will deffo have probs at edges near brickwork. My idea was to have a scraper on the end of the same tool to save time. May need some fine tuning even scrapping if it doesn't work.

That's why I posted this thread. Bounce ideas off others. Often the obvious thing you don't see or others have been there, done that and either scrapped the idea or already improved it.

Thanks

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 11:13:10 pm »
Look forward to seeing how you get on.  I had a few crusted on nastys today.  Amazing how long the take to get off with just cold water.

Simon.