Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

easy clean

opinions please
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:35:43 pm »
i never thought that i would ever ask this but i'm getting more and more annoyed with a guy who works for me. he works part time and has always got an excuse as to why he doesn't want to or cant come into work.

so here i am asking if anybody employs foreign workers? do they work the way that we all think the do (hard workers) are they reliable and can they be trusted? i know that it all depends on the individual but also how do your customers take it, i know there is an element of trust doing domestic and unforyunately most people dont trust foreigners!

help is much appricated, jon

Re: opinions please
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:02:48 pm »
For years we resisted the idea of employing foreign workers but persisted with the lazy attitude of British workers.
We've now had a Polish guy with us for over 6 months (nearly a record in itself). The language barrier cancause a few issues and from time to time there are a few 'blow ups' but work rate is brill.
Go down that route if I was you.

Mike_G

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:03:42 pm »
I have the exact problem with a guy who works for me.  As for the foreigners, personally I don't know but what I do know is I see an awful lot of them walking to work ( mostly cleaning jobs in shops where I clean the windows) very early in the morning and no doubt for minimum wage and I see the same ones everyday without exception. I think most of them have come here to work and thats what they do.

eddie d

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:04:32 pm »
personaly im not sure i want to take on imigrants.they are driving the prices down and before long will have your job.
this is difficult as the brit workers seem to be lazy ,and not keen to work.

mmm  interesting post .

Stephen Dwyer

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:06:31 pm »
I suppose it is just down to the individual like you said so it is hard to say if it would be a good idea to imploy a foreign person or not.  As far as your customers not trusting them then unless you are planning on sending the new foreign worker out on their own then it probably won't be a problem.  If you are working together then I assume that the customers will be dealing with you most of the time seeing that you are the boss so they may not even realise that your helper is foreign.  

brightnclean

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 10:08:30 pm »

bluez

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 10:58:06 pm »
I have polish and romanian workers and they are good grafters and always turn up on time. I would reccomend you go down that route, your customers wont have an issue assuming that you spend some time training them.
hi

Helen

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:33:45 am »
I have polish and romanian workers and they are good grafters and always turn up on time. I would reccomend you go down that route, your customers wont have an issue assuming that you spend some time training them.

You have Romanians? Already? Apparently they can only work in this country on a consultancy basis, (unless agriculture workers which has only just changed). Can you let us know what rulings you had to go by for Romanians, cos obviosly the rules have changed since we inquired  .ta ;D

bluez

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:09:16 am »
bluez, do you send them out in the van on their own?

do you get them collecting as well or do you just give them a list of houses? do they have any contact with the customer?

I do send them out on their own but only after they have buddied up with an experienced w/c and we are happy that they are able for it from finding the job to communicating with the customer(Same if this is an irish or english guy). They collect if the customer is home or leave env. I give them a list of names adresses and phone no's and a description of the work.

I treat them exactly the same as I would an irish guy, If they have a work permit, a drivers licence, reasonable spoken english and can learn their way around in a couple of weeks then whats the difference except that they want to work. The other benifit I find is that they are less likely to develop relationships with your customers and therefore dont disapear with a % after 6 months.

With regards to working rights for romanians I think it is a bit  different in Ireland, they do have to have a work permit, dont know what the situation is in the u.k.
hi

Helen

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 11:45:13 am »
cheers  ;D