Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wayne Thomas

Pump died
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:47:24 pm »
My pump has been sticking from time to time and with a little hit with a stick have managed to get it going again.
In the last few months this problem has slowly been getting worse.
Today it got to the stage of me hitting it with a stick regularly. I lost my patience with it today and resorted to hitting it violently with a stick whist cursing and swearing. Then the hammer came out and I tried tapping it gently, that worked for a while but after a short time this had little effect so then came the last stage... boot it with steel toe caps on..........It well and truly died on me.
To make matters worse my unreeled hose froze as well despite not being able to use my hot water.......how very frustrating.
Anyway I bought 2 new pumps today.
Both are connected up so that if I ever have anymore pump problems it will take a matter of 5 seconds to swap the one connection over via hozelock connection.
I've learnt my lesson today as I couldn't bear to spend a day trying to do half a days work hence the last resort of steel toe cap boot to kill the pump...RIP I had it for 4 years so not too bad.
Morale of the story.......don't go smacking the hell out of your pump or it will die on you and when it starts sticking, it's a sign it's on it's way out ;D

matt

Re: Pump died
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:55:26 pm »
i allways have my spare pump box with me

its very handy if i have pump issues, as i have about 10 mins "down time" to just change them over

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:05:46 am »
Matt, I always carry spares of everything too, but unfortunately my other pump was also u/s as I also hit that one frequently with a stick ;D hence why I bought 2 pumps today. ;)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 03:12:58 pm »
That's the one thing I don't have a spare of,... what's the average lifespan of a pump then?

burky-boy

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 03:30:02 pm »
My pump has been sticking from time to time and with a little hit with a stick have managed to get it going again.
In the last few months this problem has slowly been getting worse.
Today it got to the stage of me hitting it with a stick regularly. I lost my patience with it today and resorted to hitting it violently with a stick whist cursing and swearing. Then the hammer came out and I tried tapping it gently, that worked for a while but after a short time this had little effect so then came the last stage... boot it with steel toe caps on..........It well and truly died on me.
To make matters worse my unreeled hose froze as well despite not being able to use my hot water.......how very frustrating.
Anyway I bought 2 new pumps today.
Both are connected up so that if I ever have anymore pump problems it will take a matter of 5 seconds to swap the one connection over via hozelock connection.
I've learnt my lesson today as I couldn't bear to spend a day trying to do half a days work hence the last resort of steel toe cap boot to kill the pump...RIP I had it for 4 years so not too bad.
Morale of the story.......don't go smacking the hell out of your pump or it will die on you and when it starts sticking, it's a sign it's on it's way out ;D
Wayne is it the presure switch that has gone if so buy a switch its cheaper then a pump
Keep The Faith

burky-boy

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 03:40:25 pm »
That's the one thing I don't have a spare of,... what's the average lifespan of a pump then?
Think the pumps are a bit like women temperamental  at times i have had pumps that are still going after four years . But also had them last 6 months but i just change presure switch now its cheaper
Keep The Faith

LWC

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 04:24:35 pm »
if in doubt...give it a clout!

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 04:43:16 pm »
Sounds like it needs a new pressure switch.

Peter

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 05:18:18 pm »
By using varistream flow controllers they bypass the pressure switch on the pump so surely changing the pressure switch isn't going to make any difference  IS IT ?????? ??? if the pump is constantly sticking. Does anyone know?? ???

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 01:04:23 am »
By using varistream flow controllers they bypass the pressure switch on the pump so surely changing the pressure switch isn't going to make any difference  IS IT ?????? ??? if the pump is constantly sticking. Does anyone know?? ???

The varistream does away with the pressure switch.  Are you sure it's not just a loose connection?

Peter

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 06:33:39 am »
If the pump is four years old it doesn't owe you anything.

TERRY AB

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 11:24:51 am »

The varistream does away with the pressure switch.  Are you sure it's not just a loose connection?

Peter
I bet it is the diaphramme that needs changing, approx 5 quid part. They can become stiff and hard after long usage.
Very easily changed.
PS any one who has a pump freeze, will probably have the problem that the diaphramme will not be seated
correct;y, take it out, stick it in very hot water for 2 .. 3 monutes and put it back. If you think or
know the pump is freezing dont switch it on untill 100% certain it is free otherwise the diaphramme will dislodge.