This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Londoner

3 in a row
« on: December 14, 2007, 06:17:31 pm »
Actually had the situation today while cleaning a house in Hatch End where the house next door was being cleaned by an other window cleaner and the house next door to that was being cleaned at the same time by  two young blokes who were working from a beat up old estate car.

Thats three different houses in a row being cleaned simultaniously by three different WCs. I was the only one who was WFP, the only one who had a van and was wearing protective clothing, gloves hi-vis etc. The house next to me was being cleaned by an old boy who I have seen before. We have exchanged nods in the past but never spoken.
The two young blokes had B+Q ladders but I did not hear them speak so I couldn't tell if they were English. These days I would suspect they probably weren't.

Is this some kind of record? can anyone beat three in a row?

East coast window cleaning Services

Re: 3 in a row
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:25:45 pm »
Never seen that before.
P&R Window Cleaning

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:38:35 pm »
I can only remember one time when I actually cleaned side by side with another cleaner, and that was years ago.
 I did one last year a couple of months after I went WFP but they were a couple of houses up from me.
Its quite common round here to be working in the same road as another window cleaner but we never speak. I have tried a couple if times to speak to them but always got blanked or at best one word answers.
It amazed me when I first came on this forum to find most of you knew the other WCs in your area.
In the past few months I have probably clocked 20-30 other window cleaners but never spoken to any.
Is this unusual?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:41:39 pm »
I can only remember one time when I actually cleaned side by side with another cleaner, and that was years ago.
 I did one last year a couple of months after I went WFP but they were a couple of houses up from me.
Its quite common round here to be working in the same road as another window cleaner but we never speak. I have tried a couple if times to speak to them but always got blanked or at best one word answers.
It amazed me when I first came on this forum to find most of you knew the other WCs in your area.
In the past few months I have probably clocked 20-30 other window cleaners but never spoken to any.
Is this unusual?

I have a good laugh with some of the W/Cs around my way.  I had no ulterior motive in doing this but I have actually gained work through as the only WFP user amongst them.  Some of them pass on the odd job that they can't manage with a ladder.

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:49:25 pm »
I have been in contact with Lloyd Birchley who works round here but thats from this forum not through meeting him in the street.

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:04:18 pm »
thats funny,
ive only really drove past another guy using wfps, and seen others working in the same areas, you see so many other window cleaners about, or window cleaners 'vehicles'  general ladders on the roof, bucket in the back estate cars, trying to dodge one another i bet their just as friendly as you are - but i wouldnt want to bump into any ''get out of my patch, this is my area F off!''   who threaten to give you beats. Oh well what can you do about it.

johnny_h

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:25:52 pm »
i spoke to another w/c when i first bought my round over a year ago and he went and canvessed all the customers i bought ! i didnt lose one to him due  to his bad reputation in fact now have his customers seeking me out , all other w/c's have been good as gold
AUDI VIDE TACE

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:44:25 pm »
dont know what its like elsewhere but i am on first name terms with 11 window cleaners in my area and 2 other "nodders" have worked side byside several times but cant beat 3 in a row imo it helps to co operate we often swap custs and areas also pass on work from enquiries all good also helps to keep prices on alevel setting :D 8)

MJH

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:28 pm »
ive got a couple window cleaning mates in my area, one of them passed alot of work onto me when i started up!! But i have never seen 3 in a row if i did on houses i would get a complex ;)

ants

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 11:16:11 pm »
I cleaned one opposite where a w/c lives and another 2 doors down from him,didnt know he was there till I saw him put his ladders on car at about 10am.
He ignored me.
I do another 7 in the next street
EITHER CUSTIES ARE BAD PAYERS OR HES CRAP or maybe hes got enough custies

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 12:03:06 am »
I cleaned one opposite where a w/c lives and another 2 doors down from him,didnt know he was there till I saw him put his ladders on car at about 10am.
He ignored me.
I do another 7 in the next street
EITHER CUSTIES ARE BAD PAYERS OR HES CRAP or maybe hes got enough custies

or maybe he doesn't like working so close to where he lives? I won't clean any in my street because I get on with my neighbours and wouldn't want them asking me when I'm next due to clean them again, can they pay me,etc, etc. When I turn the corner into my street, that's when I leave my work at work, 'cause I'm home :)

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 12:36:37 am »
Paul what's the story with that client you was writing the letter too

didnt come to anything?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 12:47:18 am »
I used to clean a shop, turned up there one day and there was another window-cleaner doing it. Odd. It would have been even odder if I'd joined in and helped him out  :D

I always knew the guy that owned it also had his own house cleaner do the shop, I think for a good period of time I cleaned it fortnightly and the other guy did the other fortnight, so it was in fact done weekly. Anyway, I went into the shop and told the bloke, cos theres no doubt about it, when you turn up to do a job and for whatever reason the job cant be done words need to be said. It transpired that I thought he was somewhat oddly disposed as he was my only customer who thought he needed 2 window cleaners, never been back. Dont think he took too kindly after I'd verbalised my thoughts  :o

Conflagration2000

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 09:39:40 am »
Ive met Dia Hutton and had a couple of good chats with him about diy wfp etc, very helpful bloke. His attitude is the same as mine: There is enough work out there for us all, so why be rude and unhelpful.
I've given some advice to a lad in town who is sick of doing shop fronts and wants to get back into domestic work.
Just like that

LSB

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 11:32:53 am »
vince , i cant beet 3 in a row , but as you know there are loads of w/cs around our area some good ,  some bad , some indifferent , but mostly miserable sods who don t even want to acknowledge another w/c .
i will be working in hatch end next week , so it wasnt me ignoring you !

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 11:51:18 pm »
Paul what's the story with that client you was writing the letter too

didnt come to anything?

They didn't want to go elsewhere apparently.  Reading between the lines they were nervous about having someone else around as they've been burgled twice in quick succession.  I have seen them since (while working next door) and even relented and did a clean for them.  Even if I did drop it completely, the guy would just do it himself but prefers not to.  I've ended up agreeing to phone him the day before.  As you know, I very much dislike working like that but as the job would be lost anyway if I cancelled it (to ALL window cleaners) I've decided to continue with it - though with some reluctance.  If he starts messing about when I phone, then I will drop it anyway.  At least the price is OK.  Apologies for the false lead Alex.  My intentions were good though.

Londoner

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 06:49:37 am »
vince , i cant beet 3 in a row , but as you know there are loads of w/cs around our area some good ,  some bad , some indifferent , but mostly miserable sods who don t even want to acknowledge another w/c .
i will be working in hatch end next week , so it wasnt me ignoring you !

Lloyd, you won't be able to miss me soon, I have ordered a new van and when it comes in a few weeks its going to have my name on the side. Look out for it.

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 08:27:24 am »
Had 2 windows cleaners plus me and martin cleaning in same road but the other 2 were from the same company working on different houses, I was trad and they was wfp I talked to the owner and the cheeky s=d knocked on the door after I cleaned and nicked my customer  >:( never will I forget that, I owe him for that. ;)

I also clean in cambridge and there is a guy that I am quite happy to talk to he cleans next door to me, I get on with anyone (unless they try and stitch me up)

I think the guys name is Paul, I know he comes on here aswell, so if you read this, hello  ;)

Ian