Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

D.Salkeld_Ltd

What's the best 15' all round general pole?
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:55:47 am »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice about a light High work pole.

Just wondering what you would recomend for a general every day pole.

I curently use a "Cleantech" Unger style 3x2mtr (18ft) cut down to about 14 - 15ft.

It's OK, lightish, durable, cheap enough.  But it would be nice to have clamps instead of screw locks so as to extend it easier and if there is a pole a bit lighter and stiffer for a reasonable price I might go for it.

Thanks Mates

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

clean

Re: What's the best 15' all round general pole?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:03:09 am »
Hi Dave,for the money i would reccomend the 4 section 17ft extel fibreglass pole,it can be a little bendy fully extended but with it only being 17ft it`s not a problem,cheapest place to buy one is varitech i paid £55 plus del and vat that was for the bare pole no hose or brush  ;)

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:26:23 pm »
I too have been recommended the 17' x-tel by a friend.

I'm considering buying another pole soon as my 18' universal is causing me wrist problems due to its size and wieght. The clamps don't hold on it very well iether even after adjusting them. I've only been using it for two and a half months.

I've been using my 12' 'Extender' for the last week and it's much better on the wrist but not long enough to get over conervatories.

Do 'Varitech' have an online store? After a quick search I can't find them on the net.

clean

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:37:47 pm »
I too have been recommended the 17' x-tel by a friend.

I'm considering buying another pole soon as my 18' universal is causing me wrist problems due to its size and wieght. The clamps don't hold on it very well iether even after adjusting them. I've only been using it for two and a half months.

I've been using my 12' 'Extender' for the last week and it's much better on the wrist but not long enough to get over conervatories.

Do 'Varitech' have an online store? After a quick search I can't find them on the net.

Hi,
no Varitech don`t have a website there is a post some where on here as to why not,but here is there phone number if it helps 01626 830830  ;)

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:39:28 pm »
Appreciate that.

Best regards,

Mark

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:57:31 pm »
Dave

If you want to try a 18 foot Brodex Prolong
Give me a call

Bryan Dolby
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

sair

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:10:09 pm »
Essentially Pure Ltd

poleman

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:38 pm »
Hi Folks,

I curently use a "Cleantech" Unger style 3x2mtr (18ft) cut down to about 14 - 15ft.

It's OK, lightish, durable, cheap enough.  But it would be nice to have clamps instead of screw locks so as to extend it easier and if there is a pole a bit lighter and stiffer for a reasonable price I might go for it.

Thanks Mates

David

Prolong pole from Brodex... best pole I have used

http://www.brodexbms.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=9&osCsid=3188cbe990fb2f9af5834620a19523c6

If you buy a Prolong you get a free Predator as well

Andy

cleantecross

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 04:27:16 pm »
varitech is the best place to get a small pole from as they will make you a wfp to your spec fibre glass or carbon fibre the bad thing about varitech poles is they use vikan brushes which arent the best

rugby

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:05:08 pm »
Hi Folks,

Thanks Mates

David

http://www.brodexbms.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=9&osCsid=3188cbe990fb2f9af5834620a19523c6

Andy

not sure i agree about the prolong,i bought a 25ft prolong "maybe the 18ft is more useable"but find it too heavy to use all day,i tend to use the free predator pole that came with it,in fact my prolong has not been out of my van more than 5 or 6 times,i think i should have bought a hybrid instead.

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 08:46:14 pm »
X-tel 18ft, 4 section , great everyday pole. Recommended. About £100 with a brush depending on where you buy it. You don't need carbon for short lengths so don't waste your money. If you buy one and don't like it I will buy it off you for what you paid for it. That how sure I am you will like it.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 08:49:32 pm »
If you don`t like that pole after you`ve got it you could always attatch a string from end to end and use it as a bow and arrow LOL. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

matt

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 11:58:54 pm »
the RT fishing pole

OR

"Cleantech" Unger style 3x2mtr

oh hang on, you have the 3 X 2 M, you cannot beat it, ive tested a few poles form different makers and even when they are GF poles, they still weight the same ( if not more ) than the 3 X 2 unger

mark dew

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 02:06:00 am »
i have just bought a 17ft xtel as a replacement for a 12ft extender and my 1st impression was how whippy it was. I like the size and the section lengths though. Oh and it is very light.
As with any pole you buy, you end up using it to the best of its ability. I can't faut the xtel apart from the whippiness, but once the brush is on the glass it's not a problem.
I've nothing else to compare really apart from 18ft universal and i didn't like the 6ft sections. I used a minipole to great effect alongside it, but the xtel does what the other 2 poles did quicker and easier.

poleman

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 07:53:29 am »
Hi Folks,

Thanks Mates

David

Andy

not sure i agree about the prolong,i bought a 25ft prolong "maybe the 18ft is more useable"but find it too heavy to use all day,i tend to use the free predator pole that came with it,in fact my prolong has not been out of my van more than 5 or 6 times,i think i should have bought a hybrid instead.

I WOULD DISAGREE !

I have found it about the same as the predator or even lighter but then I did put the lighter red vikan brush head on and the thinner black inner hose and the Prolong WILL out last any glass or carbon fiber pole twice or even three times because its made from Premium aerospace alloy construction with a gold sapphire hard anodised finish

Andy

dai

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 05:44:27 pm »
The Harrison 5  meter aluminium extension pole from B&Q IS A VERY HANDY POLE FOR UNDER £15.
Please don't knock it till you've seen it. It would be a very handy pole even if you only used it to hold a scraper. Geoffrrey Specht who posts on here occasionally put me on to it. Nice one Geoff

martindrz400

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 10:52:27 am »
the best 15ft pole would be a fishin pole get hold of a pole 18ft discard the last section buy a broom handle £2 with same thread as brush . cut the handle five inches down from thead then drill a hole in the bit inch lower than thread (for brush hose) now glue this on pole screw brush on and feed hose down pole threw hole

NOW U HAVE A 15FT POLE SUPER LIGHT  BEEN USING THESE POLES FOR MANY YEARS AT ALL LENGHTS
AND NEVER BROKE ANY ALL FOR ABOUT £35 EACH

Davew

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 11:19:03 am »
Ditto. Mine will reach third storey but mine was FAR more expensive - nearly sixty pounds! It's outlasted my extender pole five times over. I am looking at carbon telescopics at the moment but am struggling to justify the extra expense. Even if i lost my entire pole it wouldn't bother me financially.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 11:38:11 am »
You do get hooked on lightness once you have experienced it, wont be long before 4ft c/f telescopics are about. Money isnt the issue, everyday lightness is  ;)

Davew

Re: What's the best 15' all round general pole? New
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 12:37:16 pm »
Your right there Jeff, i think Macmac mentioned it too, it's the most important piece of kit you use, it's the main tool for the job so why not have something that is the lightest, easiest, user friendly tool. i still find it incredible that for certain manufacturers weight doesn't seem to be an issue.