Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jouk45

Re: XTel clamps
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 10:15:24 pm »
The clamps on these poles are not heavy duty enough,there flimsey and break easily.
its not the clamps at fault, i know the exact problem, i am very familar with the internals of those pole, i just thought they where made the same as all the other glassfibre poles, this problem is what is causing the failure with the clamps, alex would not know this, or he would have mentioned, its simple to fix, but is a serouse fault,

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 10:29:46 pm »
the second clamp came off mine on tuesday aswell . araldite sorted it thou

macmac

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 10:48:56 pm »
Facelift carbon- 13 months of solid abuse, no wear, no broken clamps, no spinning brushes, no hassle, no lost days work etc. etc. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist :-[

tony

jouk45

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 10:54:59 pm »
SHOW OFF  ;D

macmac

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 10:56:48 pm »

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 11:12:59 pm »
Macmac my only xtels are 17ft ones, facelift dont make poles that small. My other poles are tougher, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

mark dew

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 12:03:49 am »
its not the clamps at fault, i know the exact problem, i am very familar with the internals of those pole, i just thought they where made the same as all the other glassfibre poles, this problem is what is causing the failure with the clamps, alex would not know this, or he would have mentioned, its simple to fix, but is a serouse fault,

ive just bought a 17ft xtel. Please share with us jouk, so i won't get so flustered and confused when it happens to me.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 08:30:19 am »
Exel (the company that makes the X-Tel) spent years and a lot of money developing the new Xtel range.

This is a simple manufacturing slip-up not a major design fault with the clamps. Basically there has been the lack of glue on the occasional clamp. The fibre glass range is not going to be as tough as it has been designed to be relatively cheap and lightweight. The Hybrid and Carbon Fibre poles are obviously the poles for serious use.

There is an admirable simplicity to the design of these poles and clamps. Bonding a clamp on to the pole is a simple and (usually) very effective way of fixing the clamp. The old method of a plastic peg through a hole in the top of the fibre glass section is by comparison crude. I used to have to regularly re-drill a new hole as the peg would gradually wear the hole until it broke. I was also slightly dubious of the tape method of stopping the section coming out. Having used these poles myself it works very well and is also simple to replace and dismantle. It also allows the sections to be much tighter together thereby giving a smaller diameter.

No pole is perfect! (We have even recently had a client who broke their Facelift!!) Unfortunately the X-Tels have had this minor assembly fault, but otherwise they are proving to be good for the job they have been designed for. I personally would not use the fibre glass range for work above 21ft work, but surprisingly the fibre glass 24ft,28ft 31ft have proved to be extremely popular. Why? because although they are flexible they are a very cheap, user-friendly, and a lightweight way of reaching high windows.

It is interesting that we have no faults with clamp bonding on the Hybrid or Carbon X-Tel range, they must be assembled on a different assembly line.

Another reason that this fault has become remarked upon is that more of these poles have been sold in the UK in the last year (probably) than any other pole. I do not have any exact figures, but I would estimate the figure to be about 4000 poles. This dwarfs the number of Facelift/Omnipole/Tucker/Super-Lite/Unger/Ionics poles that have been sold. We have sold about 600 of these poles and have had about 14 customers who have had the clamps come un-glued this represents only 2.3%.

Having said all of this in the poles/clamps defense, it still annoys me that a simple fault in the factory is causing this problem for us as retailers and for end-users. I have spoken to them about it and hopefully the latest batch we have in stock will have had it rectified.

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 08:40:38 am »

ive just bought a 17ft xtel. Please share with us jouk, so i won't get so flustered and confused when it happens to me.
I have three of these poles, one of them the brush started spinning on day 2 of use, I just glued it, problem solved with super glue  ;)

macmac

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 05:37:38 pm »
  (We have even recently had a client who broke their Facelift!!) 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTT!!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

( you been drinking Alex? )

tony

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 09:16:14 pm »
It is interesting that we have no faults with clamp bonding on the Hybrid or Carbon X-Tel range, they must be assembled on a different assembly line.

Not quite true Alex mine is a 24' carbon hybrid and mine came apart very quickly, on further examination there appeared only to be 2 small dabs of glue holding it .. not surprising it came apart

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 12:41:03 am »
I must say that the gardiners have one of the best customer services in the country, no doubt. They sorted me completely out. I had the top screw in come loose after I screwed on the gooseneck. (Xtel 17') They were extremely helpful, and got me something to get it sorted. Absolutely fantastic.

Gardiners, can't choose any better company to buy from in my opinion.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 08:06:26 am »
I could never fault Gardiners either, if the broken clamp on my pole was more of a problem i'm 100% sure Alex or Kirsty would have sorted it for me but it wasnt and it was so easy to glue it myself & only took me 5 mins tops .. problem solved

ps outthere

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 08:30:58 am »
Brand new X-tel, clamp was loose, superglued it. No problem with it since. Emailed Alex for his info.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 09:16:29 am »

Not quite true Alex mine is a 24' carbon hybrid and mine came apart very quickly, on further examination there appeared only to be 2 small dabs of glue holding it .. not surprising it came apart

Thanks Chris - I've taken note of that fact and will pass it on.

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 06:41:31 pm »
I have sung the praises of Welmac poles before but after having owned one of their carbon

poles for over 3 years - no complaints.

I have used Ionics,Extender,Brodex,Streamline and others - all clamps wear too quickly and spin.

Welmac  clamps are a simple design but i have never had a pole or brush head spin.

They use no glue - hence  no problems

Tristan

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 06:43:58 pm »
Who are
Welmac poles
?? And can we have a link, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2007, 09:05:56 pm »
I have just been out weighing clamps and the new SL-X clamps weigh on average 25g less than the X-Tel clamps.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 11:49:42 pm »
I have just been out weighing clamps and the new SL-X clamps weigh on average 25g less than the X-Tel clamps.

Wow.....that is good.

I'm seriously going to sell my 17' Xtel for this one, take off the alu gooseneck I have now, and use the old vikan for dirty work. One pole to rule them all. ;D

I have not seen any info on the new brush, good you please point me to a previous post (if you've made one on the new brush).

Thank you Alex.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 10:06:09 am »

Wow.....that is good.

I'm seriously going to sell my 17' Xtel for this one, take off the alu gooseneck I have now, and use the old vikan for dirty work. One pole to rule them all. ;D

I have not seen any info on the new brush, good you please point me to a previous post (if you've made one on the new brush).

Thank you Alex.

I probably have posted some information on the new brush in the past, but I cannot find it right now!

Basically we have designed a very light brush (220-230g) which has a standard screw stock. It is rectangle to provide best glass coverage with the bristles, but with slightly rounded corners to protect the windows frame/paintwork. It will have mono-filament dual trim bristles with an easy splay make-up. We have been using the prototypes now for about 8 months and they really are the best bristles we have ever worked with. We are hoping to be able to retail them at a very competitive price compared with other top-flight brushes.