This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: Fishing pole into WFP - How to?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 05:34:31 pm »
Get a 24ft carbon facelift and you`ll see why i don`t.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 05:44:04 pm »
Why not use a fishing pole under 30 feet? On most domestics a cheap fishing pole is quite useable - your only using three sections max most of the time, light as a feather, cheap and fairly durable.

Dave, remember Ive got a Super-lite, its amazingly stiff at 30ft but I still prefer using a heavier telescopic because its quicker to setup below 30ft, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

NWH

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:58 pm »
I do like the lightness but i prefer being quicker with the telescopic,also with the fishing pole`s sometimes 2 sections is not enough and 3 sections is to much you end up hitting the end of the pole in the ground or something or not having enough reach.It has to be a minimum of 4 sections these days with the rod or it stays in the van.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 05:53:30 pm »
One thing you have to watch out for using a fishing/super-lite pole for lower stuff is that it might be 3/4 sections for 25-30ft stuff but then on lower windows you start to use the pole at a near horizontal angle, then the joints can push together, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 05:54:08 pm »
I get my Super-Lite2 out when working above 30ft (about 5-6 sections).  Anything up to 30ft I use the SL-X.

Having timed commercial and domestic work over many years, the Super-Lite is nearly always faster than a telescopic when used on large areas of repetitive work (even below 30ft) or on anything above 30ft.  The extra minute of setting up time is usually saved within the first ten minutes of work.  However, for standard work up to 30ft, a telescopic is faster.  For instance, today on a commercial job (under 30ft) I shaved five minutes off a 55 minutes job by using the SL-X instead of the Super-Lite2.

NWH

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 05:54:59 pm »
Keep using any modular pole day in day out for domestic work and it won`t last 5 minutes.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 05:58:48 pm »
I use my superlite on everything, houses, shops, offices, the whole lot! And it's lasted me since February, day in and day out!

There is only a marginal gain with a telescopic on first putting the lengths of pole together that you need, but once in use you gain on the majority of telescopic poles due to increased rigidity and lightness.

A telescopic pole, even one made of carbonfibre - at least currently - will always be heavier than than a modular pole, you have to have clamps and much heavier duty carbonfibre shafts, at least around the clamp areas.

It's the one area that will see really big leaps forward over the next few years.
Poles are also the thing that will screw up our bodies if we are not careful too, which is why the drive for lighter and lighter poles will continue.
Anyone who has met me will tell you I am no 5 stone weakling, but on more than one occasion I've had problems with my back as a result of over straining at awkward angles with a well extended pole.

As a result of using a superlite an awful lot of my aches and pains have faded away, and I am an awful lot quicker than I was before, the modular aspect of the pole has not slowed me down one iota, the fact that it is so light and rigid has more than overcompensated for that fact.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 06:00:55 pm »
Keep using any modular pole day in day out for domestic work and it won`t last 5 minutes.

It does depend on the user - one of my mates uses an original Super-Lite1 on all of his work.  He is careful with it and as a result he's had it for well over a year.   Because of a shoulder injury, if he did not have this pole, he would've had to give up window cleaning.  For the majority of users though, a telescopic would be far easier on low level domestic work.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 06:01:27 pm »
As a result of using a superlite an awful lot of my aches and pains have faded away, and I am an awful lot quicker than I was before, the modular aspect of the pole has not slowed me down one iota, the fact that it is so light and rigid has more than overcompensated for that fact.

My dad is getting older too and he needs a lighter pole to work with , Luke

Davew

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 06:32:08 pm »
I agree with nearly all the points raised here. NWH yes a carbon facelift is best but only if you can afford it. A sixty quid fishing pole is very adequate for my needs (coming up to a years use now). I started with an extender pole which lasted five minutes and left shards of glassfibre in my hands, split on the end then the clamps started slipping. You get what you pay for in most cases but do you really need to pay so much in the first place? Same goes for brushes - you can have a fifty quid brush if you like or a £1.50 one thats good enough for the job and lighter to use. The guys who have spent the big money look down on the diy ers and get all upset about it. Each to their own. ;)

NWH

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 06:37:06 pm »
No offense Dave but when offering my opinion cost is not the issue,the best things as you know are not cheap.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 06:37:54 pm »
"pay cheap, pay twice" is what my dad always says, and hes right, Luke

NWH

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 06:40:53 pm »
My 24ft facelift is as good as when i got it but i`ve seem inferior poles that have been replaced twice in the same time span as i`ve had mine,mind you some WC`s do treat the kit like S***.

Davew

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 06:51:44 pm »
Like i said NWH i do agree with you (and even Tony - reluctantly ;D) but there are ways and means of avoiding huge outlay that some of us are not in a position yet to enjoy. I have my heart set on an SL-X but wether i'll get one is a different matter. :)

matt

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 06:57:37 pm »
i was a sceptic of Jeff's fishing pole idea, infact i had 2 different makes of pole in the garage for more then 6 months, the fishing pole was in the garage for 9 months

i had my unger 3 X 2M ali pole and it was great, it was hard wearing, i could run over it in the car, i didnt need to mess about with the fishing pole idea

Ive had a niggley neck muscle for months, it got to a point where i thought i had to change the way i worked, that meant a van for a tank in it ( as it happens, i still use drums for the time being, but thats down to time kitting out the van ) and a lighter pole

i tested a pole supplier by GF pure freedom, same length as my ali pole, it weighed the same :( if not more ) it was a beast

i built the fishing pole, as per the little guide i did, first time i used it, its really really LIGHT, it was amazing, sure it wont last for ever, infact i cracked the end about 6 weeks ago, i superglued it together and wrapped some tape around it for a bit of extra protection ( it does work ), its fine again, as i said, it wont last a life time, but at 21 quid its a very light pole thats seems to be lasting well enough

sure its not for everyone, but at 21 quid, if your thinking of trying the idea out, then you not going to lose much are you ?? ? ?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 07:05:46 pm »
Matt your using the Zensorflez modular - I think. Now you have the hang of it have a go with the telescopic kite/flag poles. Same money, but  faster. But there is an aquired knack.  :)

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 07:46:50 pm »

AuRavelling79

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 09:03:37 pm »
I use a fishing pole - have done since feb after finding my unger telescopic ali. too whippy and too heavy (although I didn't realise it at the time.)

In the back of my van sits the top (inc brush) section on top of along the handle of my microbore reel resting in clips.

Sections 2 and 3 sit telescoped together alongside my tank.
Sections 4/5/6 sit clipped next to the above.

A golfbag sits next to the reel.

I open the doors, lift out the golf bag and the brush section, however many sections I need for the job go in the bag.

I carry the bag of pole sections  in one hand (as light as a telescopic inc. bag) and pull out hose (clipped to belt) with the other.

Walk to farthest, highest point and assemble pole for tops - do tops. Drop off sections 2/3 into the bag and use section 1 for downstairs - hardly any weight and incredibly quick to use.

To strengthen it I have filled the ends with expanding foam.

If it cracks I just cut a section to size, glue it in and around with araldite and bind it with gaffer tape.

I use it for everything - commercial/domestic.

Oh, and anyone who thinks custy's will be put off because it looks naff needs to get a life. I've got blue chip companies on board that I've driven up to in a 15 yr old estate car which sent off far more "naff" signals than the gear I use.

(I do always wear a dark blue uniform jacket and hi viz tho'.)
It's a game of three halves!

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:58 pm »
you broke a zensorflex, please tell me it was it the top section

because i have beaten my to a pulp and its still going strong, thinking about it i could have bought 20 for the price of the facelift

matt

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 09:24:33 pm »
you broke a zensorflex, please tell me it was it the top section

because i have beaten my to a pulp and its still going strong, thinking about it i could have bought 20 for the price of the facelift

if this was directed to me, it was the 3 section from the base, i tried to put the enxt section in it and i pushed it in when it wasnt quite straight, i now know you cannot do that ;)