This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sanity

Fishing pole into WFP - How to?
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:14:26 pm »
Does anybody have a step by step (im a bit thick...) instructions on how to convert a carbon fibre fishing pole into a useable WFP?  Things like clamps, tapping the end etc are what I am a bit unsure about.

Seems to be cheaper to get it done this way rather than buy a standard made WFP...

Alex Gardiner

Re: Fishing pole into WFP - How to?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:25:25 pm »
You can now buy a DIY version of our Super-Lite which has all the hard work done for you and is about 5x stronger than a standard 'fishing-pole'.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/SUPER-LITE_2__DIY_KIT.html

Simply add hose, Velcro ties, end bung and brush.

It comes complete with an instruction manual, PTFE spray, Holdall, top gooseneck connector and adjustable gooseneck.

I'm sure that Matt's  D  I   Y forum will have something on it though, if you do want to convert a fishing pole.

Sanity

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:28:26 pm »
Nice, ill check that out.  thanx for the link :)

matt

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:11:34 pm »
indeed

step by step

http://wfpole.110mb.com/

OR

http://wfpole2.110mb.com

Also alot of discussion on the DIY forum

<------------ e.mail me for a link and dont forget to postin the actiavtation forum so i can activate you account

MLS

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 04:25:50 pm »
Why bother with a fishing pole???

They're not intended for use in the window cleaning industry and are nowhere near as strong as a genuine pole.

They're not telescopic so breaking one down would take too bloody long and be too much of a pain in the arse.

You're a window cleaner aren't you??

Invest in a proper WFP. It's what they're intened for. If they weren't I'd take mine fishing with me, but I reckon the lads sat on the lake with me would think I were mad.

I could always clean a few windows though if the fishing was a bit slow though I guess.

In all seriousness I reckon it's definately false economy to try to convert a fishing pole into a WFP. The wall thickness difference between the two is huge. The strength difference, even with a carp style power pole, is huge, and the fact that a fishing pole is "take a part" as opposed to telescopic would make putting it together and breaking it down too much hassle and slow you down.

And it looks Naff!!!
We know we're the best, you know we're the best, I guess we can't both be wrong!!!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 04:54:30 pm »
How do you clean 70ft windows then ?

Count Phil

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 04:59:34 pm »
don't bother.

clean

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 05:48:04 pm »
How do you clean 70ft windows then ?

WOW  :o  :o 70FT Windows they must be very awkward to fit and cost a fortune  ;)

MLS

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 06:58:05 pm »
we don't clean windows 70ft up.

At present we can reach 5 stories at a push and next year will see us add to our poles with a 60ft jobbie.

It'll be a genuine WFP too, my Maver 16 metre fishing pole will stay in it's holdall ready for next time I use it TO FISH!! 
We know we're the best, you know we're the best, I guess we can't both be wrong!!!

Davew

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 06:59:11 pm »
Touchy? :o

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 08:05:57 pm »
The Ergolite 60fter is a two man pole 8ft sections, 6kg+brush , I was glad to sell  it on for £450 I found the Map poles a bit stronger than the Maver. But you are right they are delicate but looked after and they do last, mines 2 years old now.

TennetClean

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »
fishing poles are meant for... gues what.. FISHING

get a proper water-fed pole instead.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

Davew

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:27:29 pm »
Such as? :)

matt

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 08:32:10 pm »
you either get it, or you dont

its not worth trying to understand if you dont get it, just move on and leave it alone ( no need for the comments )

Oh and its not worth people who get it trying to explain to them who dont, as they never will, so dont waste your time

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 10:16:35 pm »
 :)
"You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink" is one of my favourites.
10 years ago people laughed about me try to tell people about backpacks being used for wfp  8) but they do have their uses  8). If you get to my age you will all need fishing type poles  ;) , thankfully there are now two suppliers of the fishing pole concept, custom made economical carbon fibre wfp poles, I know one of them is also ideal for fishing.  :)

Sanity, Back to topic, if you can find your way to the - try looking on the diy site, for a topic called "Merry Christmas"  all about the fishing poles. Took me 2 years to write and develop. If not email me.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:07:46 pm »
I don't think that I would convert a fishing pole itself, but the concept is totally sound.
An actual fishing pole is far more fragile than the ones that have been converted to WFP use.
As Jeff says, there are now two suppliers of these poles now, and they are now at stage two of development; the poles (such as the superlite 2 from Gardiners) are now very strong indeed, far more robust than a straightforward fishing pole.

In use, once you have adapted to dropping off sections there is next to no difference at all in setup times compared to a telescopic pole.
And of course development is underway now for lightweight telescopic carbon poles.
The original poles for WFP, either made from aluminium or glassfibre are horrendously heavy and bendy, they are god awful things to work with, the difference in use between them and the very rigid and lightweight carbon fibre poles has to be experienced to be believed.
And if you want to work at 30ft and above it really is the way to go.

......................but I wouldn't go the DIY route though :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 04:52:35 pm »
MLS:

If you infact do own a maver fishing pole, then I just don't understand why you can't see why the concept is brilliant. Yes, a fishing pole designed for fishing might not be the perfect solution for everybody but there is the Super-lite 2, a pole designed just for window cleaning. I own a Super-lite and it is simply brilliant!If your in any doubt regarding it's strength then look at this video here:

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Super-Lite2_Endurance_Videos.html

As regards to the setup time, on work over 30ft there is no difference. Below 30ft a telescopic can be quicker. I always knew the modular style was the way forward for me both price wise and lightness. Using light equipment is safer for yourself and members of the public. It also allows you to work quicker because of increased stamina. Luke

PS. Don't knock the DIY route, just look at this poll I made on the forum, nearly everybody on here does DIY!!! You'll get a verbal beating off them :)

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=46366.20#msg379368

Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 05:01:09 pm »
Luke i know what your saying mate but for out and out speed on anything but large large work a telescopic will eat anything for speed,why do you think there`s a tele version coming out. :o :o :o :o

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 05:03:50 pm »
As regards to the setup time, on work over 30ft there is no difference. Below 30ft a telescopic can be quicker.

yeah, I agree NWH! I'm looking forward to the SL-X. I myself would never get my Super-lite out for anything under 30ft, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Davew

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 05:15:36 pm »
Why not use a fishing pole under 30 feet? On most domestics a cheap fishing pole is quite useable - your only using three sections max most of the time, light as a feather, cheap and fairly durable.